• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do think it would be an xlnt. idea to test another D90, just to get a handle on any inter-sample variation.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you guys trying to say that cheating EU regulations is OK?
Not sure which of any of the last 10 or so posts lead you to suppose that. Please explain.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not sure which of any of the last 10 or so posts lead you to suppose that. Please explain.
Here we go:
cut... And so for the average user that 1 w that 1.5 w or 2 w the difference is small... Cut
Which makes me wonder, how much do electrical manufacturers based outside the EU in pretty niche arenas, that are unlikely to ever be sold on EU high streets , actually care about EU legislation?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here we go:
I suggest you read both posts quoted in full again. One questions how accurate measuring devices are. Mine questions rhetorically how much concern some manufacturers might have for such regulations.

Which of those posts suggest anyone should cheat the regs?

Rover

There may be an error in the device or a deviation of 50% and then everything fits perfectly into the norm .Why rush and discuss, it is necessary to measure by the correct method and accurate certified device!

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
You both also have to re-read your posts and realize that they can also be interpreted as "who cares". Fair enough, that was a wrong interpretation from my side.
About the measuring device, I agree that it's not calibrated and that one should not draw too many conclusions on it. But there is a but. My understanding is that the screen is shut down in standby mode, so the requirement is not 1W but 0,5W standby consumption. This would mean a measurement error of 4 times. It's a lot.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You both also have to re-read your posts and realize that they can also be interpreted as "who cares". Fair enough, that was a wrong interpretation from my side.
About the measuring device, I agree that it's not calibrated and that one should not draw too many conclusions on it. But there is a but. My understanding is that the screen is shut down in standby mode, so the requirement is not 1W but 0,5W standby consumption. This would mean a measurement error of 4 times. It's a lot.

Not aimed at Topping, I was actually questioning at what point some manufacturers in some markets and product types might decide to ignore some territorial rules and regs. Not encouraging or condoning. Legitimate question, how rigourous is the testing and enforcement regime for products that may never physically sit anywhere to he seen, visited, inspected within the jurisdiction in question? Especially for some more niche products where quantities imported into EU are measured in 2 or 3 figures per annum

Hammer

Hi, received my D90 MQA and enjoying it immensely. I want to see if I can use the I2S input as that was one of my reasons for purchasing the unit. I had previously thought I can use my Pi4 I2S output as input for the DAC, but that appears to be not correct. Therefore, I googled what else I can use and the Singxer SU-6 came up. It’s quite pricey so I wanted to see 1) if others have successfully use with with the D90, 2) can I use DSD512 via I2S from the SU-6 to the D90 and 3) it appears the SU-6 uses the XMOS XU208 while the D90 MQA uses the XU216 chip...as such, will there be an improvement using the SU-6 given the higher spec’ed XU216? I’m thinking the SU-6 will still need to take USB input and convert it to I2S.

Lastly, what happens internally in an USB DAC? Does it convert USB to I2S before processing and it’s just that the SU-6 will do that better or does it skip the I2S step all together? I’m trying to understand why adding a conversion step (eg., adding the SU-6) improves sound quality.

thank you!

Veri

Master Contributor
it appears the SU-6 uses the XMOS XU208 while the D90 MQA uses the XU216 chip...as such, will there be an improvement using the SU-6 given the higher spec’ed XU216? I’m thinking the SU-6 will still need to take USB input and convert it to I2S.
I think you already know the answer. Adding an extra converter to I2S is not any different than what happens on the XU216 bridge that is already on the A90, it also converts to I2S. Save your money. Buying a DDC interface is useful when you need AES, BNC or another output...
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/study-is-i²s-interface-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/

Last edited:

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Last edited:

alexj84nl

Hi, received my D90 MQA and enjoying it immensely. I want to see if I can use the I2S input as that was one of my reasons for purchasing the unit. I had previously thought I can use my Pi4 I2S output as input for the DAC, but that appears to be not correct. Therefore, I googled what else I can use and the Singxer SU-6 came up. It’s quite pricey so I wanted to see 1) if others have successfully use with with the D90, 2) can I use DSD512 via I2S from the SU-6 to the D90 and 3) it appears the SU-6 uses the XMOS XU208 while the D90 MQA uses the XU216 chip...as such, will there be an improvement using the SU-6 given the higher spec’ed XU216? I’m thinking the SU-6 will still need to take USB input and convert it to I2S.

Lastly, what happens internally in an USB DAC? Does it convert USB to I2S before processing and it’s just that the SU-6 will do that better or does it skip the I2S step all together? I’m trying to understand why adding a conversion step (eg., adding the SU-6) improves sound quality.

thank you!

Keep us (me :) ) posted about your thoughts and the route you choose to go. I'm currently streaming from a Pi4. First with spdif via the hifiberry digi+ pro, now just using pi4 USB directly to d90. The last sounds better to my ears. (could be due to Audirvana).

AndyLu

Forum Donor
about this update:
http://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/396959.html
it is said to be for a dsd256 problem on MAC. I downloaded it because I use a mac but the files are for windows .... !!!

Yes you can only install new firmware for the DAC on a Windows machine. There is no firmware install program for the MAC. Maybe you have a friend with a Windows computer? It is only a one time thing.

incursore61

Thanks it's all clear now!
yes I have a friend with laptop windows to which I will connect my D90MQA and then it will be updated to be able to play with my mac!

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Thanks it's all clear now!
yes I have a friend with laptop windows to which I will connect my D90MQA and then it will be updated to be able to play with my mac!

Nice to hear. You will have to install the D90 ASIO driver first on the Windows machine before you can install the firmware. It is explained in the D90 Topping documentation.

Toku

Major Contributor
The description of Topping's firmware update is always polite and kind.

Rigel

thank you!

Hi Hammer. Welcome to the forum.

I explain my experience with the topic of USB interfaces and conditioners.

Before having the D90 associated with a fixed form SMSL SP200 and Sennheiser HD800s, I had an NAD M51 and an HDVD800, very happy with its sound, but whose USB input of the M51 was not exactly good (year 2012). I like to experiment, so I tried to use an interface to use the AES / EBU input of the M51, it gave me a good result and since then I have been testing a few devices.

I have come to have a Yellowtec Puc 2, a Gustard U12, a Matrix Spdif2 and a Singxer SU-1, various USB conditioners as well, including an iFi iUSB 3.0, various combinations, low noise power supplies etc. Finally, some with good results and others not so much or none, but always using the AES / EBU entry.

I still have the Matrix Spdif2 and the Singxer SU-1 and contrary to what happened with the NAD M51, I can assure you that I would not be able to distinguish between any of the inputs of the Topping D90, with or without interfaces and including the i2S through the SU-1.
With everything I've tried, it can be said that I would be prejudiced against the D90's USB input, but the opposite has happened to me.
And it is what surprised me about this DAC from the beginning, the good audio quality through a simple USB connection / cable. Sometimes when I connect just the cable, it seems to me like something is missing, out of habit.

What's more, if you had to choose between any of your inputs, you would choose USB. I have the impression, only the impression, that it is marginally better. For a while now, the USB section of the DACs has improved a lot or at least in some. And for me it is fundamental because I always use the PC as a digital source.

In my opinion, if you do it only for the sound, you do not need to buy anything and if you buy it because you need an interface to obtain another type of digital output at the same time, you do not have to worry about the sound either because you will not notice differences. to worst. They all sound good. It is a good DAC as is. At least in my system and with my ear.

firedog

Can't read through the whole 65 pages, but in the review the problem of higher distortion at full volume isn't mentioned - unlike the D70. I assume this means the D90 doesn't have the problem?

Reactions: ENG
Top Bottom