• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

I would like to see THD+N not at 200kohm impedance load but at 600 ohm. There is any chance ?

Because there are power amps or analogue volume controls with 1kohm input impedance.

saadi703

Does the MQA version would have any benefits with tidal app since the tidal app already doing the decoding, yes it is software based but is there any audible difference or just a confirmation light of MQA is there to please. Please note this post is not about MQA format and how it is considered lossy and all. This post is a question whether the MQA version would have any benefits when used with Tidal app?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the MQA version would have any benefits with tidal app since the tidal app already doing the decoding, yes it is software based but is there any audible difference or just a confirmation light of MQA is there to please. Please note this post is not about MQA format and how it is considered lossy and all. This post is a question whether the MQA version would have any benefits when used with Tidal app?
It will do the full decode for the few tidal mqa files that go there to 24/192. Software goes up to 24/96. I'll not comment on the value to the listener.

gwh

Hi, I have run into a small issue with my D90 and I hope someone out there has a solution for this:=
The chain of components:
NAS->Cambridge CXN v2 -> Topping D90 ->Power Amlifier

When removing the D90form the chain, playing DSD64 files the CXN plays them nicely on their own.
When I connect the D90 to the chain after CXN, it receives files as 176,4khz, and there is no sound output.
All other outputs works perfectly, 88,2, 96, 192 and so on for all other files.
Do you have any suggestions as to get D90make some sound when it receives 176,4 khz input?
I contacted topping, and they were quick to reply, so kudos to them.
I replaced optical with coax, and everything works perfectly again.

Firegod

I'm looking at buying this DAC, but don't know if I even need to. I recently made this post about this concern of mine and wanted some technical feedback on it. Sorry if I made that post too long. I just wanted to get all my questions done in one post. I also would like to know about the setup i'm gifting to my father is good enough as well, which is also listed in that posts link.

Dclone

Hello and thanks a lot for letting me in! I have read @amirm review of Schiit compared to Topping DX7/S. Lucky me! Was on my way ordering a Schiit DAC but immediately changed my mind of obvious reasons. Today I have one Topping DX7/S and will buy one more DAC (I have two separate 2 channels audiosystem) After reading @amirm tests I will buy either Topping DX7 Pro or Topping D90. I´m gonna use the DAC solely as DAC (don´t use headphones. I have one Krell KSA-150 and two Krell MDA-300 driving a pair of Infinity Epsilons. Musicsources are Linn Sondek LP 12, Esoteric X-05, Bladelius Embla Classic and Revox B77. Which one of the two DACs, D70 Pro or D90 do You guys think would be my best choice? Price does not matter. Cheers from Sweden and keep up the good work! It´s really appreciated :)

PorchSong

Hello and thanks a lot for letting me in! I have read @amirm review of Schiit compared to Topping DX7/S. Lucky me! Was on my way ordering a Schiit DAC but immediately changed my mind of obvious reasons. Today I have one Topping DX7/S and will buy one more DAC (I have two separate 2 channels audiosystem) After reading @amirm tests I will buy either Topping DX7 Pro or Topping D90. I´m gonna use the DAC solely as DAC (don´t use headphones. I have one Krell KSA-150 and two Krell MDA-300 driving a pair of Infinity Epsilons. Musicsources are Linn Sondek LP 12, Esoteric X-05, Bladelius Embla Classic and Revox B77. Which one of the two DACs, D70 Pro or D90 do You guys think would be my best choice? Price does not matter. Cheers from Sweden and keep up the good work! It´s really appreciated :)

Welcome to the channel. BOTH the D70 Pro and the D90 are amazing DACs. Major Difference is the D90 is using the new AKM chip AK4499. It might honestly be the purest DAC in terms of performance currently at this price point. I'm going with the D90 myself and was considering the D70 pro. The D90 can be used in Pre-Amp mode or Pure DAC mode--dealer's choice. Oh, the D70 Pro does have dual 4497 chips whereas the D90 only has the single 4499.

Either one is excellent though.

Karister

Do I need to activate DAC mode every time I turn it on or does it save settings between restarts?

D

Deleted member 3116

So what is point of using DAC mode? why take away volume control for no reason?
I would be interested to see measurements in each mode, pre at 0dB, to see if there is actually a difference for PCM playback.

Dclone

I would be interested to see measurements in each mode, pre at 0dB, to see if there is actually a difference for PCM playback.

Hi! Well if You have a preamp like I have and, a lot of power in Your poweramps, You can have a really, really unpleasant surprise if someone has moved the volumecontrol on Your DAC.... Been there...:oops:

Karister

I am going to plug D90 to A90 and Stereo AMP. Both have own volume controls and I do not want to have it duplicated in D90. Double vol control is pretty inconvenient.

D

Deleted member 3116

Something isnt clear, does DAC mode set the volume fixed to max or fixed to a volume that you set yourself?

Karister

It should bypass whole vol control section in DAC mode, I think. So it would mean max out. But that's only my guess. I am still struggling with DX7pro vs D90+A90 decision.

D

Deleted member 3116

yes so really I dont see the point of the feature unless there is another underlying difference, but I just found earlier in thread that Topping confirmed somewhere that DAC mode does enable DSD bypass mode so that would be the difference.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
yes so really I dont see the point of the feature unless there is another underlying difference, but I just found earlier in thread that Topping confirmed somewhere that DAC mode does enable DSD bypass mode so that would be the difference.

The point is that the D90 is 2 devices in one. A DAC and a pre-amp. If people want to use it in DAC-only mode they can bypass the pre-amp if they do wish so. If they want to use the built-in pre-amp they can use that also if they want to. It is that simple. Maybe in your use-case there is no point, but for a lot of people there is.

Top Bottom