• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

TomJ

You have no basis for that statement and you haven't heard the amps.

The research contradicts your thoughts. As mentioned it shows people can hear tilts in frequency response as small as 0.1 / 0.2dB per octave.
Totally agree, consistent with my experience as well

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am hoping for a Ghent case like the NCORE-SE(200W), which is for 200mm wide, not 200 Watts. It might want to be a hair longer than that case (currently 315mm), for effective venting holes (TBD). I'm hoping they'll offer two flavors:
1. For the stock EVAL1, as-is, at the back panel; and
2. One with binding posts* (and no holes for the Purifi banana sockets).

A third variant could be to provide panel mounted XLR sockets, but I don't see the point, other than to provide different back panel symmetry. In all cases, only the back panel would change.

* The Purifi FE board uses silver plated 4mm plug sockets. I'd be happy enough if they were gold plated, but I cannot find any to do replacement. Binding posts are a bit higher quality and more versatile. One might also prefer speakON.

I plan to remove the FE board Standby toggle switch and jumper that to always on, letting power determine when it is on (like the NC400). So I hope for the panels NOT to have that hole, or to provide a nice plug.

FWIW, here is how I did my Hypex NC400/SMPS1200 version of that case.
View attachment 43288
I already have the 300 mm wide case. If I could just get a new back panel to accommodate the Eval 1 module, I would be set. Any idea how I could do that. I think the 315 mm length of the case is sufficient for the Eval 1 and a single Hypex Smps1200A400. Now if someone offerred a complete set of wiring harnesses....

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I already have the 300 mm wide case. If I could just get a new back panel to accommodate the Eval 1 module, I would be set. Any idea how I could do that. I think the 315 mm length of the case is sufficient for the Eval 1 and a single Hypex Smps1200A400. Now if someone offerred a complete set of wiring harnesses....

As for the back panel: there are places everywhere that will cut a piece of aluminium to any shape you want and also place holes where you want. You just have to deliver CAD files. I learned how to do that in 30 minutes, so it cannot be that difficult.

As for wiring harnesses, in the worst case it is just a matter of purchasing the right connectors and pre crimped leads. However, the EVAL1 kit comes with wiring harnesses that can be used with a SMPS1200A400. as long as the power input on the FE02 board (the input board in the EVAL1 kit) is not more than 25cm far from the output of the SMPS you are already set

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have no basis for that statement and you haven't heard the amps.

The research contradicts your thoughts. As mentioned it shows people can hear tilts in frequency response as small as 0.1 / 0.2dB per octave.

How many times have we read on this site that once an amp reaches a certain level of performance, it sounds like all other amps that have reached a certain level of performance?

With the distortion in speakers, room effects, limits of human hearing, etc., it is doubtful there is a statistically significant difference between these two amps.

Weren't you the guy saying 15 watts wouldn't add any heat to a super insulated house? This is the audio equivalent of 15 watts.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Is 300 x 315 mm big enough? Absolutely. My mock-up here is for a Ghent 200 x 315 mm case:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/#post-289897

I think the one they are working for the Purifi modules is going to be 250mm wide (by ??? long). What case do you have, specifically? You might be able to use the existing back panel, as-is, depending on exactly what you want to achieve.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the overall size of your amp's internal layout with all the boards/modules populated ? The one in your link is only 200x200mm on the exterior. Will probably have to look at their other options from my guestimate by eye though ??

This is the case I bought. The back is not configured like the Eval board, so it will have to be replaced, but it should be long enough. If I just have a CAD file for a back, I could probably find a vendor PDQ.

Given how well the Eval 1 version tested, I don't see a need for a custom buffer. I think (pls tell me if I am wrong) plug this straight into a single Smps1200A400 PSU, and have a complete, well functioning amp. Can probably do it for around $1000 USD given I already have the case.

https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/ncore-se-300w.html

mocenigo

Major Contributor
This is the case I bought. The back is not configured like the Eval board, so it will have to be replaced, but it should be long enough. If I just have a CAD file for a back, I could probably find a vendor PDQ.

Given how well the Eval 1 version tested, I don't see a need for a custom buffer. I think (pls tell me if I am wrong) plug this straight into a single Smps1200A400 PSU, and have a complete, well functioning amp. Can probably do it for around $1000 USD given I already have the case.

https://www.ghentaudio.com/kit/ncore-se-300w.html

You can always connect the board to the back. use XLR connectors to the FE02's inputs, and wire them to the XLR sockets the GHENT case. Same for the speaker outs: use very tight z-plugs.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can always connect the board to the back. use XLR connectors to the FE02's inputs, and wire them to the XLR sockets the GHENT case. Same for the speaker outs: use very tight z-plugs.
Sounds even cheaper if I have enough room. :)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
How many times have we read on this site that once an amp reaches a certain level of performance, it sounds like all other amps that have reached a certain level of performance?

With the distortion in speakers, room effects, limits of human hearing, etc., it is doubtful there is a statistically significant difference between these two amps.

Weren't you the guy saying 15 watts wouldn't add any heat to a super insulated house? This is the audio equivalent of 15 watts.

Yes, what's your point?

I have already posted twice about the scientific evidence that small tilts in frequency response ARE audible. So that level is above the level of difference in performance where it becomes audible. So why are you continuing to argue? Jeez. :facepalm:

The rest of your post is irrelevant.

goryu

You haven't posted any scientific evidence of anything. You haven't proven anything is audible. Just some hand waving, tiny, insignificant sample, etc. I get it, you are trying to pedal a product- what else can you say?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You haven't posted any scientific evidence of anything. You haven't proven anything is audible. Just some hand waving, tiny, insignificant sample, etc. I get it, you are trying to pedal a product- what else can you say?
I posted a reference. From one of the world's most eminent authorities on the subject. Up to you to go and investigate it. It confirms my own findings.

I sell both Purifi and Hypex. Far more Hypex products in the range than Purifi. Some more expensive than the Purifi. I would gain most from saying they sound the same or Hypex is better, not Purifi.

Simple fact is that they don't sound the same and there is a simple technical explanation as to why.

With comments like that it seems I was correct that you are just trolling for an argument. Another for ignore.

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
https://vacuumtubevalues.com/product/27564/

Figured I'd bite first since it was posted by someone else on here ... already got it in the mail!!! Being located in the USA makes it nice as there isn't any worry about customs fees or shipping delays. Perhaps one reason they can make it for such a great price is they don't have to add in overseas shipping? (I put together a NC502mp and the case from China took over a month to arrive due to the current situation)

The 'stock' buffers in this version are two separate NC500 OEM adaptors. It works/sounds as good as my other regular Hypex NC502MP amp with my Raal headphones/drives my Magnepans louder than I'd ever want. Honestly, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the two amps ... Essentially the Purifi on paper is cleaner ... but the 502MP has more power ... so depending on what you're driving; one might be better than the other for your needs. The $879 price is great considering you don't have to put it together yourself!

I suppose Purifi will make a higher power module at some point, so you won't have to decide between power and sound quality. But maybe won't be available to DIY?

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Right! This was addressed early in this topic. @phoenixdogfan, take a look, starting here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iy-purifi-amp-builds.10478/page-8#post-296204

Of course, you do need to drill the bottom to match the Purifi parts, but that is relatively easy and not cosmetic. The hole patterns are on the Purifi datasheets.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
indeed, after reading that post, that’s what I did for a couple of intermediate iterations of my build: look HERE
Nice! Maybe post #0501 here? And just note that one could do it without adding the Neurochrome board in the inlet path. Also, in the case of the Ghent case, where 'length' matters a bit, note that the speaker connections could be made from the backside of the sockets, as they are open, too.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Top Bottom