• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I fully agree with you on this.

But wouldn't you say that here on ASR also sometimes happen that panthers are not in accordance with measurement, especially when speakers are coming from particular manufacturer which name starts with H or J? :D
Definitely agree with the logic , don't agree with any particular brand bias.

Amirm just has what he thinks is right.

Still don't let perfect be the enemy of good. we are not selling anything or propping up an industry.

RigorDude

Gordon Holt founded the magazine to get away from this kind of 'beat-around-the-bush' mentality. Stereophile has pretty much morphed into what Gordon was attempting to get away from. That said, if it wasn't for Atkinson's measurements, you wouldn't know what to believe from most of their subjective reviews.

Interesting. I always thought Holt started Stereophile to counter what one could call the Julian Hirsch/Stereo Review Mentality - which is arguably closer to the prevailing philosophy of this forum.

My recollection is that Holt's reviews did not include measurements. I binned my old copies years ago, but the archived material on Stereophile's web site bears this out. It was when Atkinson took over as editor that they started doing thorough measurements as a complement to the subjective reviews.

To be sure, Holt did not pull punches.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Definitely agree with the logic , don't agree with any particular brand bias.

Amirm just has what he thinks is right.

Still don't let perfect be the enemy of good. we are not selling anything or propping up an industry.
What can I say , these are hard times , I'm just making a living..,

JA.

QMuse

Major Contributor
What can I say , these are hard times , I'm just making a living..,

JA.

Capture.JPG

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Doesn't that hit a little close to home...!
Hope everything works out in the end and you don't end up looking like your avatar.

RigorDude

I don't understand how their ADC could distort so much in a produce this expensive. It can't even clear 15 bits of distortion-free range.

To your knowledge, is there a consumer-sector digital preamp/processor that has an analog input, enables EQ etc., and has ADC resolution 16 bits or higher, for less than $4k?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hope everything works out in the end and you don't end up looking like your avatar.

Waaaaay too many years late for that...
These are the small things in any big picture... I'm glad this is my biggest disappointment this week, all things considered.

I had always thought these were very cool, and when one came up for sale by a member, I thought it would be a great chance to both have a slick new toy to play with (not that kind @Thomas savage ) and to get an often requested piece of gear in to our host for a workout worthy of something claiming SOTA, and let the chips fall where they may.

I also made it very clear to Amir, both before sending it, and after...well...after it decided to maintain radio silence until further notice, that I assume all responsibility for what might happen during that process.

I had a French girlfriend, and she did the same thing sometimes...just go silent for no good reason...so I'm hoping maybe some Roses on the piano might help.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Waaaaay too late for that...
These are the small things in any big picture... I'm glad this is my biggest disappointment this week, all things considered.

I had always thought these were very cool, and when one came up for sale by a member, I thought it would be a great chance to both have a slick new toy to play with (not that kind @Thomas savage ) and to get an often requested piece of gear in to our host for a workout worthy of something claiming SOTA, and let the chips fall where they may.

I also made it very clear to Amir, both before sending it, and after...well...after it decided to maintain radio silence until further notice, that I assume all responsibility for what might happen during that process.

I had a French girlfriend, and she did the same thing sometimes...just go silent for no good reason...so I'm hoping maybe some Roses on the piano might help.
If that's the worst that happened you got the light side of France .

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If that's the worst that happened you got the light side of France .

Cost of education.

I've saved much much more than that from this site...so if it helps anyone...

i am setting up a go-fund-me...

/s

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cost of education.

I've saved much much more than that from this site...so if it helps anyone...

i am setting up a go-fund-me...

/s
You'll sell it again on Audiogon, many just don't care how it measures.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You'll sell it again on Audiogon, many just don't care how it measures.

Right now, it is a brick, so...might need to measure better than that.

Last edited:

RigorDude

Thanks for these suggestions. At the risk of being nit-picky, I see that Amir's reviews do not assess ADC performance. I'm not prepared to spend $1,100, let alone $2k, only to end up with an ADC that may or may not degrade a CD-quality input. What is the basis for the statement that they are state of the art?

For some time, I've been hunting for a digital processor with analog inputs that actually tests out to the claimed specification and is not crazy expensive. Wish it weren't so. I'd love to experiment with digital EQ.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for these suggestions. At the risk of being nit-picky, I see that Amir's reviews do not assess ADC performance. I'm not prepared to spend $1,100, let alone $2k, only to end up with an ADC that may or may not degrade a CD-quality input. What is the basis for the statement that they are state of the art?
There are separate review threads on their ADC performance. I am about to post another interface review and will show the latest rankings for all the ones I have tested.

Top Bottom