• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

madbrayniak

Hi All, I just registered because I am interested in this product and how you can use it.

I am at a point where I am tired of the constant changing HDMI revisions and mediocre DACs in AVRs.

This has lead me on a journey to try and find a solution that can be used for either 2.1 sound for music and tv/movies or possible alternatives to an AVR/Processor that is less fussy.

I'm not the biggest fan of room correction for anything other than a subwoofer either and when I finish building mine I plan to use a MiniDSP unit for correction of the sub.

That said, what is the best way to use something like this? My first thought is a HTPC hooked up to it using a USB and doing audio passthrough to it, but I am not sure that is possible.

If it can't do surround sound that is fine, I will continue to work towards just a 2.1 setup as I live in a small house anyway and surround sound just sounds pretty daunting in the small space that I am working with anyways.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Dualazmak,

In JRiver I can only choose virtual cable wasapi. No asio.
Have you also installed "HIFI-CABLE & ASIO-Bridge (Donationware) "
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/#DownloadASIOBridge
which enables Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)[WASAPI].

JRiver-->Hi-Fi Cable Input (VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable)[WASAPI]-->ASIO4ALL-->EKIO-->ASIO4ALL-->DAC's ASIO -->DAC-->amp

should be quite OK as far as we can directly input 24bit 192kHz signal into EKIO, I beleive.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Kees and others,

As for software crossover EKIO and DAC8PRO, I am keeping communication with Guillaume of LUPISOFT, and yesterday he kindly suggested possible I/O routing using any of USB-SPDIF sound card (sound device) in this way;
Roon (JRiver) --> USB-SPDIF sound card --> SPDIF physical link --> DAC8PRO IN (physical input) --> ASIO4ALL --> EKIO --> ASIO4ALL --> DAC8PRO OUT

Including the above suggested routing, looks we have several options;

1. We may also use the "VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable Input" sequence which is currently working fine in my system;
Roon (JRiver) --> VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable Input (WASAPI) --> ASIO4ALL --> EKIO --> ASIO4ALL --> DAC8PRO OUT

2. I already have several USB DACs which have SPDIF digital (and optical) output. I have one OPPO SONICA DAC, three KORG DS-DAC-10, and one ONKYO DAC-1000S, of course all capable of 24bit 192kHz. These DACs may work as "USB-SPDIF sound card" in the Guillaume suggested sequence of;
Roon (JRiver) --> USB-SPDIF sound card --> SPDIF physical link --> DAC8PRO IN (physical input) --> ASIO4ALL --> EKIO --> ASIO4ALL --> DAC8PRO OUT

Also I am considering if ASIO4ALL may relocate the signal in the front part without using any "physical" cabling like;
Roon (JRiver) --> USB-SPDIF sound card --> ASIO4ALL --> EKIO --> ASIO4ALL --> DAC8PRO OUT

Let's try to find which I/O routing would work fine with DAC8PRO, and which is the best in terms of latency and stability....

tleej

Hi all,

I ordered a DAC8 Pro on release day, and even though it's awesome, I don't use it enough to justify it (I was using it as a headphone amp for an Audeze pair). PM me if you want to grab it, I'll send you photos.

Cheers,

H

Hifihedgehog

Hi all,

I ordered a DAC8 Pro on release day, and even though it's awesome, I don't use it enough to justify it (I was using it as a headphone amp for an Audeze pair). PM me if you want to grab it, I'll send you photos.

Cheers,
Message sent (Tuesday). :)

Last edited by a moderator:

rickyhgarcia

I am waiting for the DAC8 Stereo to be released for sale to order it. My plan is to connect a Core i7 Shuttle XPC Cube PC to it for music streaming. Therefore, I am looking into a quality USB cable to make this connection. Pangea Audio makes a cable with two runs of cables, one is a signal cable, the other a power cable. This is not an expensive cable, and the idea of removing the power component from the signal stream makes sense to me. Pangea says that if the DAC does not require power from the USB source, then the power cable need not be connected at the source. Zu Audio makes a similar cable at a much higher cost.

Does the Okto DAC requires power from the USB source? I know the Okto DAC´s include an internal power supply, but it may use the USB supplied power for a whatever minor function.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm running my DAC Pro from an ordinary USB cable (PC/NUC to Okto, no loop back) and it works Great, so I'd say No.

Okto Research

Does the Okto DAC requires power from the USB source? I know the Okto DAC´s include an internal power supply, but it may use the USB supplied power for a whatever minor function.

Our DACs are not powered from the USB and they draw a negligible current, but they need to sense a voltage on the USB port. This voltage is filtered before it is brought to the processor handling the USB.

Both DAC8 PRO and DAC8 Stereo were designed to be agnostic to the USB cable. The full performance can be achieved with a generic, reasonable quality cable and there is no benefit in using exotic/audiophile ones.

Pavel, Okto Research

Feyire

Our DACs are not powered from the USB and they draw a negligible current, but they need to sense a voltage on the USB port. This voltage is filtered before it is brought to the processor handling the USB.

Both DAC8 PRO and DAC8 Stereo were designed to be agnostic to the USB cable. The full performance can be achieved with a generic, reasonable quality cable and there is no benefit in using exotic/audiophile ones.

Pavel, Okto Research

Any update on Stereo release?

rickyhgarcia

Pavel, Okto Research

Thanks...

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-Audio-Premier-XL-Twin-Lead-USB-cable

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm planning on using it on mine, but need to find a 7 terminal phoenix plug for the power controller input first (without buying a set of 10 pair).
It appears to be a standard 1/8" socket.

Feyire

Veri

Master Contributor
Please define exactly what you mean by "more stable".
Pure anecdotal but I've seen people having drop-outs or issues on USB 3.0 ports that are fixed by using a spare 2.0 port.
Of course if something is USB3 you should use that, but otherwise I would just use USB2. is what I meant.

Top Bottom