• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion for Monitors/Speakers

OP
TheMarshal

TheMarshal

Yamaha HS series work with two cheap chipamp LM3886, class AB -> without hiss like more cheap class D amps + tweeter.

Interesting, the specification says that they use Class D amps.

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS8-Studio-Monitor-Black/dp/B00DCYMVB2

cfb222ac-dfd0-47c9-8727-00b981c3d118.jpg

Rockfella

Forum Donor
How do you like the Kalis? They seem great bang for the back. Personally, I think the odd position and the incorrect EQ corrections on the back panel, made them sound bad to me. Perhaps, I should test them again.

Whatever I purchase, I plan to pair it with the Focusrite Solo or the 2i2.
I love them but the thing is I have not heard a single studio monitor before the Kalis so can't say if they are better than other monitors. I just jumped on the hype train (real or fake I don't know)

Why I liked them before purchase : Front firing (I have them on my desktop and I can stick them to the walls if needed) heavy bass, touted be a
extreme VFM and they are huge/look good + amazing reviews everywhere.

Why I like them now: They sound very good to me.

The K5 Pro has some humm/hissing on both the Kali and any IEM I use with. The hissing I take care of by simply switching them off as they are connected to a dedicated power extension.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If I were you, I'd choose between the HS7 and T7V; the HS7 being completely hiss free is very nice if you care about that. But as someone who bought a pair of HS7 less than one year ago and already upgrading to Genelec 8030Cs, I'd recommend you to think hard about getting the best right now to lose less money in the long term.

OP
TheMarshal

TheMarshal

If I were you, I'd choose between the HS7 and T7V; the HS7 being completely hiss free is very nice if you care about that. But as someone who bought a pair of HS7 less than one year ago and already upgrading to Genelec 8030Cs, I'd recommend you to think hard about getting the best right now to lose less money in the long term.

Considering, I know how I breathe, and how most of us do. That's smart advice.

I think I will go with the Dynaudio BM5 M3 and call it a day. If Dyna's pro equipment has the same signature as their "lifestyle" equipment. That would be the best choice.

OP
TheMarshal

TheMarshal

Shouldn't be too bad, but you won't get something on par with Genelec/Neumann/JBL as far as objective performance goes. They do look quite nice, though.

Yep, I am aware that the Dyna's are more colored than the typical studio monitors.

They have their signature sound for their Hi-Fi equipment, which is pleasant and easy to listen to for hours.

I'd be sure to post here once I finally purchase something. :)

OP
TheMarshal

TheMarshal

I have placed an order for the Dynas. They should arrive next week.

What would you recommend to be used as a balanced DAC? Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, or slightly bump my budget and go with something asSMSL SU 8 v1.2. Maybe there are other options that I am missing.

Thanks again, guys!

Top Bottom