• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX AE-5

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
expandable thin itx cases use a riser that places the card horizontally above the motherboard. see the hdplex h1 for an example

Tup3x

I've been really happy with my AE-5. I do wonder how much if at all AE-7 would improve things... And then there's the AE-9. If I could toss it in a external case and use it with my work laptop too that would be great.

By the way, it would be interesting to know how much PSU and mobo quality affect internal sound card quality... In card is well designed it shouldn't affect much but still.

Creative has upped their game since introducing AE-5.

---
By the way, the latest driver added DSD support by the looks of it. Not sure what's the difference between the two other ASIO drivers.
asio.png

(Also the molex is only for leds, I don't have it plugged in. It's not required.)

Last edited:

misog

hi Amirm,

is it better to use AE-5 plus 5 channel power amps than use AVRs? If you want to use your home theater PC.

Thx for answer.

JonasWa

Hi Amir,
Could you show the 32 tone graph, is it possible to check the sub center channel too?

Thank you for your awesome work

Jonas

zermak

hi Amirm,

is it better to use AE-5 plus 5 channel power amps than use AVRs? If you want to use your home theater PC.

Thx for answer.
That was my choice so far, even with a Asus Xonar DX for 5.1 DAC duties.
I would have spent more for an AVR to have less or the same quality. If I recall the DX was like 45 euros back then. Some measurements made by other sites (here is an old Italian review with RMAA data which was from a now closed PC hardware review site, PCTuner.net) shows very good numbers.

Tup3x

@amirm This is done because the power supplied via the PCIx socket is noisier than power direct from the PSU.

EDIT: If you look carefully at the PCI pins on the card itself, you should notice there are no power connections there.
Actually no. The only reason for the Molex connector is to power the LED strip and it doesn't need to be connected.

Last edited:

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Actually no. The only reason for the Molex connector is to power the LED strip and it doesn't need to be connected.

Yes I know this now, I was corrected on page 1 IIRC.

I actually thought it was like the ASUS cards that use a separate power connector purely for the audio.

It does seem rather odd that Creative chose to use the molex connector purely for fancy LEDs, rather than to optimise the noise levels...

Tup3x

Yes I know this now, I was corrected on page 1 IIRC.

I actually thought it was like the ASUS cards that use a separate power connector purely for the audio.

It does seem rather odd that Creative chose to use the molex connector purely for fancy LEDs, rather than to optimise the noise levels...
They did that for AE-9. The external amp requires 6-pin PCI-E power connector, though it's also used for the mic phantom power. Not sure if the card works without it but the break out box does need it.

tiggers

Nice review. My current motherboard (ASRock Extreme 6) has a nice on-board audio solution, and an amp for the front audio jacks.
It drives my new 58Xs pretty well, and sounds "good enough" for game play (realtek 1150). However, it is quite obvious it is picking up internal electrical noise from fans/drives, etc. It pretty much uses the computer cases flimsy, unshielded wires from the motherboard to the jack at the front of the case. I've heard some people mention that wrapping the wires with tin-foil (and saran wrap or something else around that), and then grounding it to the case can often fix the issue. Frankly, I am surprised no one is offering an accessories upgrade kit for shielded analog audio wires, or as a 5.25" or 3.5" external panel solution. (i'd even drill a couple extra holes in my case, just to have dedicated shielded wires to my headphones).

The AE-5 sounds like it might be a good, internal solution to not only improve the DAC, but get rid of the noise as well. Then maybe pair that with an external amplifier (although I am not sure one would be needed with the 58X).

Last edited:

Jumbotron

The AE-5 sounds like it might be a good, internal solution to not only improve the DAC, but get rid of the noise as well. Then maybe pair that with an external amplifier (although I am not sure one would be needed with the 58X).
I have my onboard audio solution (old Realtek ALC898) as the DAC and I have it connected to my SMSL SP200 headphone amp. The result is quite good in my opinion. With the volume pot at 12 o'clock I cannot hear any internal electrical noise from my PC.

Tup3x

I can't hear any noises volume set to max with high gain out of my HD 6XX.

Tup3x

RAA has AE-9 measurements up:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/creative-ae-9.php
AE-5 for comparison:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/creative-sound-blaster-ae-5.php

AE-9 doesn't seem to offer much more power over AE-5 (and likely AE-7) at 300 ohm load. Would have excepted more. To my eye line out performance is really close (and not necessarily better - seems to perform worse at max volume than AE-5) and it seems like the ESS hump is there. Doesn't seem worth it.

AustinsGuitar

So I own this sound card and I really don't need anything more for my hd650's. They seem to have fixed every issue with the software before I got mine. Never had any issues so far. I can't hear any distortion as well even while playing csgo at 500 fps and bhopping with music playing very low in the background (this is my old test my creative sound blaster zx failed at). That old card would hiss. It was annoying. I am happy to see that my findings also show this thing is pretty kick butt. :) People should know sound cards are not totally dead... atleast creatives sound cards are alright now. If you can find this card for less than 140 dollars, I doubt you can beat it for the price as a dac amp.

Fers66

Hey Amirm!
Thank you for all the hard work with the reviews and the objective analyzes. Sooo much apreciated.
Also, thank you so much for explaining in other post how HDMI audio work.

A question for any member.
Is there any difference between using the SPDIF out of my onboard audio MB over using the SPDIF of a dedicated sound card like the Soundblaster X AE-5?

I was going to order a Pioneer receiver for my HTPC...but after reading this review and all comments I think i´m much better going with a SoundBlaster AE5 + analog cables + 5hc power amp... :)

Thanks!

Tup3x

Is there any difference between using the SPDIF out of my onboard audio MB over using the SPDIF of a dedicated sound card like the Soundblaster X AE-5?
If you do not need the audio processing capabilities/features that AE-5 offers then there's zero difference.

AustinsGuitar

^ this guy is correct. if your using spdif for just music listening and youtube videos don't buy the thing. BUT, if you want fine tuning to channels, sound effects, bass boost, crystalizer, eq, and so on get the card. It should be noted that this thing doesn't support DOLBY AUDIO SUPPORT. might be a deal breaker for people who don't understand dolby, and that you can use it and mux it without supporting it at all and its kinda marketing and yeaaaaaa... not gonna go there. but yea.

Fers66

Thanks!
Will order a SoundBlaster X AE5.
I have used SoundBlaster cards since the first Creative SoundBlaster, then:
- SoundBlaster Pro
- SoundBlaster 16
- SoundBlaster AWE 32
- SoundBlaster AWE 64
- SoundBlaster LIVE Platinum
- SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
- SoundBlaster XFi Platinum

Lot´s of fun indeed with all these cards, never had any problem with drivers or creative software, but since my last upgrade i´m using onboard audio (SPDIF) to a HK 3490 Stereo Receiver (Love it, nice powerfull amp).
I´m upgrading my audio system to a 5.1 setup, but after reading Amirm AVRs reviews...better going with the analog outs and a nice poweramp...
To be honest the only feature I will miss in a AVR will be room correction, and better integration with the Subwoofer (SVS PC12-Plus)...

The question with SPDIF was because i read somewhere that coaxial was better for handling high resolution audio, and my mobo manual don´t have any info on the SPDIF output (16/44 or 24/96 or whatever). mobo https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty Z97 Killer/

AustinsGuitar.
Are you saying that the AE5 can´t decode dolby codecs on hardware? Dolby Digital Live feature?

AustinsGuitar

@Fers66 :) that is correct. No hardware Dolby or DTS support on the AE-5. :cool: but if your using the right software that can be bypassed. ;) but that does take extra steps, and sometimes sketchy places online...

Top Bottom