• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX AE-5

Crystalyne

@Fers66 :) that is correct. No hardware Dolby or DTS support on the AE-5. :cool: but if your using the right software that can be bypassed. ;) but that does take extra steps, and sometimes sketchy places online...
I didn't know the AE-5 could do that! Can you point me in the right direction to enable it?

Thanks!

Tup3x

AE-7 does Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect Encoding (licenses are paid...).

Sunset1982

I am interested in how the SB AE-5 compares to the new EVGA Nu Audio Pro... is there a review of the new EVGA card anywhere?

Jungstar

I sold this one and got a small SHIIT Fulla 2. I really regretted that. I miss it.

So many people shit on Creative, and yes the software is not bug free, but the sound here is really good!

Fers66

I have used Creative cards since...well...the last 30 years i think...DOS times...never had any problem with software...
I purchased a SoundBlaster AE-7 for my HTPC...I´m loving it...
While my primary use is with speakers it´s nice to have the headphone module..no problem driving a AKG K72 / Sennheiser HD518...
This thread was decisive in all my recent purchases for my new HTPC (soundcard+5ch amp+preamp)...no Receiver for me this round...
Thanks guys...:)
Thanks Amir! You lovely little devil :p :D

965.jpg1265.jpg1270.jpgLong Live Amir!.jpg

Thunder

I have used Creative cards since...well...the last 30 years i think...DOS times...never had any problem with software...
I purchased a SoundBlaster AE-7 for my HTPC...I´m loving it...
While my primary use is with speakers it´s nice to have the headphone module..no problem driving a AKG K72 / Sennheiser HD518...
This thread was decisive in all my recent purchases for my new HTPC (soundcard+5ch amp+preamp)...no Receiver for me this round...
Thanks guys...:)
Thanks Amir! You lovely little devil :p:D

View attachment 56614View attachment 56615View attachment 56617View attachment 56618
Hi friend. Would you mind if I ask you some question?

I currently got a Sound BlasterX AE-5 in my gaming PC and I have no complains. The only thing I'd like to get rid of is the software, the program Sound Blaster Command, because I don't like to have many programs running on my PC in order to get the most performance from it.

Obviously I can close the program and not allowing it to open on startup anymore, but do you know if the audio settings get saved and keep functioning after doing this?

Also, which "Playback" setting do you use in order to get the best audio quality? "Speakers/Headphones" or "Digital"?
I use the "Speakers/Headphones" setting which in direct mode allows me to obtain an Audio Quality of 32 bit, 384 kHz which sould be the best quality I can get from this card, right?

Do you know if all these settings get saved and keep functioning although the program is not running anymore?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Fers66

Hi friend. Would you mind if I ask you some question?

Obviously I can close the program and not allowing it to open on startup anymore, but do you know if the audio settings get saved and keep functioning after doing this?

Sorry I can´t help with that as I have SoundBlaster Command always running.
What´s your specs? CPU/RAM? Soundblaster Command is lighweight, IMO. You should not have any performance penalty for leaving it always running.
Since you have to switch modes for speakers/headphones, maybe you can try setting it to speakers and try to use your phone too see if SB Command are keeping your Speakers settings. You should not be able to use your phone with the panel set to speakers. If you can´t, maybe the panel are keeping your settings even when not running.

Also, which "Playback" setting do you use in order to get the best audio quality? "Speakers/Headphones" or "Digital"?
I use the "Speakers/Headphones" setting which in direct mode allows me to obtain an Audio Quality of 32 bit, 384 kHz which sould be the best quality I can get from this card, right?

Thank you.

I just set mine to 24/192 for Speakers and Headphones, in Direct Mode. Sound´s good to me. Also, i´m running all analogic cables.
I think there´s no such thing as "Best Quality" in 32/384, as most music are 16/44.

SB01.jpg SB02.jpg

Thunder

Sorry I can´t help with that as I have SoundBlaster Command always running.
What´s your specs? CPU/RAM? Soundblaster Command is lighweight, IMO. You should not have any performance penalty for leaving it always running.
Since you have to switch modes for speakers/headphones, maybe you can try setting it to speakers and try to use your phone too see if SB Command are keeping your Speakers settings. You should not be able to use your phone with the panel set to speakers. If you can´t, maybe the panel are keeping your settings even when not running.

I just set mine to 24/192 for Speakers and Headphones, in Direct Mode. Sound´s good to me. Also, i´m running all analogic cables.
I think there´s no such thing as "Best Quality" in 32/384, as most music are 16/44.

View attachment 58309 View attachment 58310
I've got the best gaming PC anyone can have right now, haha. An i9-9900K with an RTX 2080 Ti and 32GB of RAM, along with one of the fastest NVMe M.2 SSDs in the world.

So I suppose you're right, I shouldn't have any performance penalty but I like to boot my OS without any indispensable programs. Yeah, the program is lightweight so you shouldn't have any problems either. I believe it does keep your settings because I tinkered with the program using recording voice morphs then closing it and it kept the morphs so it must save the last selected settings.

Is using all analogic cables the best for sound quality in this situation?

I just ordered a DAC and a pair of studio monitors as one other member of the forum suggested me because I wanted to greatly improve sound quality. Anyways this sound card is very good and has very positive reception, I just want to try different things.

I also ordered the JDS Labs Atom headphone amp for my sennheisers HD 600

Last edited:

AliveNoMore

Not sure if this is the best thread for this but since I'm not sure where to post it, I'll try here. Please notify me if I need to move it or re-post it in a different forum.

I purchased this card based on the review here, however, I discovered that it seems to be picking up some kind of interference(?). It becomes more noticeable when I turn up the speakers volume. It is kind of scratchy, high frequency buzz. It increases when my graphics card is under higher load, and moving the mouse also results in some interference/buzzing.
If I unplug the 3.5mm connectors from the sound card, speakers become much quieter, and there is only a very slight hiss even at full volume, i.e. perfectly normal.

As far as I can tell, this is not a ground loop. The workaround I've applied is to increase the volume for my front speakers in the Speaker Calibration window in the sound card panel so that I can keep the volume on my speakers lower, so that the annoying noise becomes inaudible.
I've tried my Xonar U7, and it does not exhibit this issue.

Before I go ahead and purchase a Sound Blaster X3 blindly (without a review), does anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this?

unfit327

Hi I'm new to the forum but I recently purchased the Soundblaster AE-7 over the G6 or AE-5 mainly for the included Audio Control Module. Here's my dilemma, I'm running DT990 pro 80ohm and with the control Module I get major distortion and degredated sound quality as the volume increases and I don't listen super loud. When plugging straight into the card it sounds super amazing. So question for all. Since the control Module is useless would I be better off returning the ae-7 for the ae-5 or the g6 to save $80-90 and would there be a noticable drop in sound quality? I'm using it for about 80% gaming

unfit327

Not sure if this is the best thread for this but since I'm not sure where to post it, I'll try here. Please notify me if I need to move it or re-post it in a different forum.

I purchased this card based on the review here, however, I discovered that it seems to be picking up some kind of interference(?). It becomes more noticeable when I turn up the speakers volume. It is kind of scratchy, high frequency buzz. It increases when my graphics card is under higher load, and moving the mouse also results in some interference/buzzing.
If I unplug the 3.5mm connectors from the sound card, speakers become much quieter, and there is only a very slight hiss even at full volume, i.e. perfectly normal.

As far as I can tell, this is not a ground loop. The workaround I've applied is to increase the volume for my front speakers in the Speaker Calibration window in the sound card panel so that I can keep the volume on my speakers lower, so that the annoying noise becomes inaudible.
I've tried my Xonar U7, and it does not exhibit this issue.

Before I go ahead and purchase a Sound Blaster X3 blindly (without a review), does anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this?
I had this issue with the AE-7 using audioengine a2+ powered speakers. Changing my 3.5mm cable resolved issue for the most part except for extremely high volume with no sound which I would never be a practical scenario.

AliveNoMore

I have already replaced my cables, not completely certain, but I think it had a very minor effect. Before I digitally increased the volume for the front channels in the calibration settings, I kept my speakers at about 40% volume, and the buzzing was audible when no sound was playing. It was audible enough to bother me.

On a side note, I'm disappointed from multimedia speaker manufacturers. When they include digital inputs, they go for the borderline obsolete optical/coaxial (probably an unpopular opinion) and Bluetooth (which I have always disliked). I mean, okay, have those if you must, but how about (also) some USB or HDMI inputs.

Tup3x

Hi I'm new to the forum but I recently purchased the Soundblaster AE-7 over the G6 or AE-5 mainly for the included Audio Control Module. Here's my dilemma, I'm running DT990 pro 80ohm and with the control Module I get major distortion and degredated sound quality as the volume increases and I don't listen super loud. When plugging straight into the card it sounds super amazing. So question for all. Since the control Module is useless would I be better off returning the ae-7 for the ae-5 or the g6 to save $80-90 and would there be a noticable drop in sound quality? I'm using it for about 80% gaming
ACM is just a passive vol pot with mic. It shouldn't cause anything really. I assume that you are plugging the ACM to headphone out?

I have the same ACM from Zx. I use it with my laptop since it has large headphone connector.

unfit327

ACM is just a passive vol pot with mic. It shouldn't cause anything really. I assume that you are plugging the ACM to headphone out?

I have the same ACM from Zx. I use it with my laptop since it has large headphone connector.[/QUOTE

I have the same ACM from Zx. I use it with my laptop since it has large headphone connector.

Its plugged into the headphone out. It definitely distorts and degrades sound quality at higher volumes. I started digging around the internet and found multiple other forums suggesting that it only hurts your sound quality so I plugged my headphones directly to my card and sure enough it sounded much much better.

Tup3x

It's rather cheap, passive volpot and it has the usual downsides from that (impedance probably changes especially if you lower it). Other than that though... It probably makes the sound a bit quieter even at max volume so the actual difference is probably related to that.

It's not very good for controlling volume and the mic sucks. Either just get a extension cord or better volpot. I actually use O2 amp for that reason - for better volume control and easy access.

Last edited:

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's rather cheap, passive volpot and it has the usual downsides from that (impedance probably changes especially if you lower it). Other than that though... It probably makes the sound a bit quieter even at max volume so the actual difference is probably related to that.

It's not very good for controlling volume and the mic sucks. Either just get a extension cord or better volpot. I actually use O2 amp for that reason - for better volume control and easy access.

How is AE5 + External amp doing ? I wanna buy the heresy but couldn't decide should i buy the modi 3 as well. AE5 vs Modi 3 dac measurements looks pretty similiar not sure. How you connect them btw ?

Tup3x

How is AE5 + External amp doing ? I wanna buy the heresy but couldn't decide should i buy the modi 3 as well. AE5 vs Modi 3 dac measurements looks pretty similiar not sure. How you connect them btw ?
Works well. Just line out to my O2.

Firegod

I have this sound card in my PC. But I also bought a THX 789 around the time (May 2018 for the sound card, Nov same year for the Amp) for whatever dumb reason at the time. I want to buy the Topping D90 and go balanced, but don't know if its worth it to do so. I made my own post in a different section of the forums about this, but wasn't sure if I should put it here as well. I'll link my post to make sure if is okay. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...stions-about-my-setup-really-long-post.12958/
Would there be a difference if I did buy the D90 and used balanced cables?

Top Bottom