• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i'll be picking this up and selling a sabaj d5 with a cracked screen for cheap if anyone is interested.

will be doing this when stock comes into amzn prime :)

Truxten Spangler

I am very interested in this dac but am disappointed by the pricing disparity for those of us in the UK and Europe. On the Soncoz website it says that the "Global Price" is $459 which roughly equates to £350. In Japan the price is about 50,000 yen which again roughly equates to £350. So you would think that the price in the UK would be about £350 - nope it is £459 or $600. It would seem that we in the UK are being overcharged. I emailed Soncoz about this in the hope that they would acknowledge this and hopefully amend the price but unfortunately have had no response. Its a shame that a company with such a great product would alienate a significant portion of its market.

Truxten Spangler

I am delighted to say that I have received a message from Ben, it appears my original email to them went to the wrong inbox. Fantastically he has acknowledged the price issue and has said that they will make an adjustment. In my opinion this is outstanding customer service and they definitely have me as a customer. I will be making my purchase as soon as the price is amended.
Many thanks Ben, it is refreshing to find a company that matches the quality of its product with awesome customer service.

januser

Hi community,
I came across this forum when looking for a new DAC - I've enjoyed reading this thread very much!
But one thing that is not clear to me why it is not a topic to have a I2S interface for this DAC.
Currently I am using a RPi running volumio and my DAC is connected via I2S. As I understood this is simple and efficient - or am I wrong?
Many thanks and excuse my bad english.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi community,
I came across this forum when looking for a new DAC - I've enjoyed reading this thread very much!
But one thing that is not clear to me why it is not a topic to have a I2S interface for this DAC.
Currently I am using a RPi running volumio and my DAC is connected via I2S. As I understood this is simple and efficient - or am I wrong?
USB will also go into I2S as an intermediary format. I2S input is really niche, serves no point.. it's not a good transport format.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hi community,
Simple and efficient for a DAC that plugs directly onto the Pi, or uses a very short cable, as I2S was only designed for use between chips inside digital audio equipment. To send it over longer cables is more complicated - usually involving LVDS converters at each end of an HDMI cable - and no better than a properly designed USB interface. There's a thread with measurements and a load of discussion of the details, but I can't find it right now.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I think Khadas has I2S input but they cater to a different clientele. More hobbyists who build stuff. Sonzcoz customers want a finished product with a case that's ready to use out of the box. Thus no need for I2S.

Veri

Master Contributor
Simple and efficient for a DAC that plugs directly onto the Pi, or uses a very short cable, as I2S was only designed for use between chips inside digital audio equipment. To send it over longer cables is more complicated - usually involving LVDS converters at each end of an HDMI cable - and no better than a properly designed USB interface. There's a thread with measurements and a load of discussion of the details, but I can't find it right now.
This? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...face-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Will the fix if the ESS bump have any impact on the SINAD score?

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey guys ! I didn't really follow the thread so far, but this one has been on my list of favorites since the beginning but of course I'd prefer it without the bump even though I'm not sure if it's audible ?
Someone can tell me that if I order tomorrow on Amazon Europe I'll get the version without the hump, thank you Fred.;)

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey guys ! I didn't really follow the thread so far, but this one has been on my list of favorites since the beginning but of course I'd prefer it without the bump even though I'm not sure if it's audible ?
Someone can tell me that if I order tomorrow on Amazon Europe I'll get the version without the hump, thank you Fred.;)
I believe all units ordered will be fixed ones! Right, @Ben1987?

ClosDeBen

On Amazon, it says in stock Feb 5 so with the Feb ETA Ben mentioned, likely the fixed one. @Ben1987 will there be a new model, version number where someone could confirm a unit was the fixed version ?

I'm trying to decide whether to spend the extra cash for this and wait or get the SMSL SU-8 (I'd like XLR out and have no DAC at all now).

Top Bottom