• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So March's bum buddy steps up to the plate. How noble of him.
This account is banned , the guys vendetta is clear.

If you want to DIY these modules I think that's a great idea . It's been a option for hypex stuff for a long time , some prefer a finished product.

Your money your choice , there's no need to go on a disingenuous Obsessive rant like this sad individual did.

normanu

I am curious though, is it as easy as buying a kit and assembling?
Or are they adding something to the mix?

Massimo

Anyone who would try to assemble one of these amps while connected to the mains power would be quite an idiot. Sticking a finger in a light socket is also dangerous. Does that mean changing light bulbs should be left to professionals only?

I wouldn't connect the SMPS to the amp module without double checking PS output voltages. This needs to be done with mains connected and lid off.

If you can't understand the difference between assembling an IKEA table and assembling a power amp then you are a dangerous fool.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's a assembly job from what I can tell. We have a few threads on DIY hypex builds I think .

Check them out .

maxxevv

Major Contributor

As with almost all electronics DIY, being conversant and proficient in circuit diagram reading as well electrical safety protocols are requisite. Some basic soldering skills, shrink wrapping, wire stripping skills will help immensely too.

Its not that difficult with what's available on the market now but the basics apply, so make sure you do plenty of homework before attempting as you're dealing with electrical mains in the mix of things here.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
March Audio you should've baited that troll back and got to him in person ;)

Zoomer

March Audio you should've baited that troll back and got to him in person

The picture he showed from the Hypex-site is no proof by the way that he has an account. Anybody can access that page before login.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The picture he showed from the Hypex-site is no proof by the way that he has an account. Anybody can access that page before login.
You need a Hypex account to log in to see prices.

He changed the picture in his post after I gave the game away. It previously showed the price.

Guy was trolling. Simple as.

Screenshot_20191226_165812_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

normanu

As with almost all electronics DIY, being conversant and proficient in circuit diagram reading as well electrical safety protocols are requisite. Some basic soldering skills, shrink wrapping, wire stripping skills will help immensely too.

Its not that difficult with what's available on the market now but the basics apply, so make sure you do plenty of homework before attempting as you're dealing with electrical mains in the mix of things here.

Well that all is not the problem.
Question is, is the kit complete when you buy it?

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Beside the reciprocal trolling/agenda aspects here, I would still be interested in seeing that nc500 evaluation board measured.
IIRC at least the first nc500 offering (from Nord and the like, but also from boutique vendors) were using that board, probably unmodified.

Does the purifi evaluation board also have the same so-called limitations?
After all it is marketed as an "evaluation platform" just like the nc500 one.

Last edited:

Dudi

Hello,

Here is my observartions I collected during my amp retrofitting to Purifi 1ET400A;

- SMPS1200A400 fits well to Purify eval board. You must switch aux voltages of SMPS1200 to unregulated (jumpers on board) since it is regulated by default.
- SMPS1200 does not have standby 5V power for external circuits e.g. remote controller so SMPS1200 must be On all time (energy consumtion is 9W in idle) or you need an additional 5V power supply if you need amplifier with extra features and standby mode.
- The Purifi eval board must have the +/- 18V unregulated voltage from SMPS, it does not matter if eval board in high or low gain mode
- Eval board low gain mode gives enough power with 4-4.5V from XLR DAC output for about 90dB senitive speakers to make listener deaf from 2m average listening distance. In this case DAC (X-Sabre pro) volume can be close to (slighly under) -1dBFS output level where Amir measured the best performance. I found this option; Purifi in low gain and X-Sabre close to "-1dBFS" gives the best stereo image.
- SMPS1200 has Amp Ena and Amp Err I/O pins, these are compatible with Purifi Amp Ena and Err pins. If you connect them, these will replace the on/off switch on the eval board (not necessary to desolder that) and you can do soft power on/off from SMPS.
- I hear a small hiss from tweeters when Purify eval board is on, but it does not grow at higher volume. In my next implementation I will try some shielding between Purifi power amps / Eval board / SMPS but I don't think it able to help.
- Shami the Cresnet SMPS maker guy promised to create new version of his SMPS600 to be compatible with Purifi board. Old version did not have the aux voltage named Vdr (-) necessary for Purifi amp board. Cresnet SMPS has standby power supply so a bit more advanced than Hypex SMPS, (except the Vdr voltage unavailability) and significantly cheaper.
- I found this cheap amplifier chassis to make my second, "pure" implementation, but it takes some weeks to arrive to Europe to start it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WA97-Ful...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Overall, very easy to implement a nice sounding amplifier with eval board and it is so cheap comparing to other high performance amplifiers.

Merry Christmas!

Top Bottom