• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will say this - if the guy goes as far as to remove IC markings then there's a good chance that this is all BS...

UpTone reverse engineered at least 2 other competitor's devices to make their USB Regen product. He even posted the internals of each competator's product on one of his threads and then used some of the competitor's secret sauce parts he found in his new product. It was quite blatant. Maybe he has a guilty conscious and is just obfuscating the parts selection accordingly in their switch product ???

Superdad

Audio Company
UpTone reverse engineered at least 2 other competitor's devices to make their USB Regen product. He even posted the internals of each competator's product on one of his threads and then used some of the competitor's secret sauce parts he found in his new product. It was quite blatant. Maybe he has a guilty conscious and is just obfuscating the parts selection accordingly in their switch product ???

Those are all lies. You are just making shit up.

g29

Those are all lies. You are just making shit up.

Did you use the same Femto clock chip you found in Wyred 4 Sound's "Recovery USB Reclocker" product that you posted the internals of on your thread or did you use some other clock ?

One of SuperDad's post of the Recovery's internals.

w4s_recovery.jpg

Last edited:

thyname

An ant on an elephant’s ass is not even sure elephants exist.... let that sink in cause it’s exactly the situation with naysayers

Superdad

Audio Company
Did you use the same Femto clock chip you found in Wyred 4 Sound's "Recovery USB Reclocker" product that you posted the internals of on your thread or did you use some other clock ?

You are getting USB REGEN (2014) mixed up with ISO REGEN (released 2017). ISO REGEN development started late 2015. We already had Crystek CCHD-575 clock samples from June 2015; Release of ISO REGEN was delayed while we solved problems with the Silanna ICE08USB isolator chip (whose solutions Silanna's sales engineer fed back to iFi Audio for their iGalvanic).

So you have it backwards, the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery (and a bunch of other hub-chip-based USB regenerators) followed our USB REGEN.
Now the Schiit Wyrd did hit the market before our original USB REGEN, but our PCBs were already in production before it came out. And it was coincidence that both the Wyrd and USB REGEN happened to use the same SMSC/Microchip USB2412 hub chip.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that Uptone's agent, Chris Conehead, has posted a bunch of misinformation and the closed the thread on Audiophool Style so that no one could reply or further question him.

Real nice

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An ant on an elephant’s ass is not even sure elephants exist.... let that sink in cause it’s exactly the situation with naysayers

An ant is a dumb creature.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Archimago took a look at USB REGEN and had some... ah.. arch comments on it.

No testing of it yet tho.

g29

A lot of products use off the shelf components

Esepcially after they find them in competitors products and publicly post their findings and magically, their next gen product contains the same parts as their competitors.

Nice try at obfuscation though.

g29

You are getting USB REGEN (2014) mixed up with ISO REGEN (released 2017). ISO REGEN development started late 2015. We already had Crystek CCHD-575 clock samples from June 2015; Release of ISO REGEN was delayed while we solved problems with the Silanna ICE08USB isolator chip (whose solutions Silanna's sales engineer fed back to iFi Audio for their iGalvanic).

So you have it backwards, the Wyred 4 Sound Recovery (and a bunch of other hub-chip-based USB regenerators) followed our USB REGEN.
Now the Schiit Wyrd did hit the market before our original USB REGEN, but our PCBs were already in production before it came out. And it was coincidence that both the Wyrd and USB REGEN happened to use the same SMSC/Microchip USB2412 hub chip.

I don't have it backwards, you used the clock in your 2nd generation product what ever you call it. Your thread showed the internals of both competing products and wow, your next gen product contains facets from both. This is during the period you were pissed that your first generation product was being tested and debunked.

Remember your noisy switch mode power supply that you finally fessed up to???

70Hz test proves noisy switch mode PS source of injected noise

This isn't the only thread you posted W4S Recovery's internals in.

2016 SuperDad post of W4S Recovery's internals (a year before you released your 2nd generation product).

w4s_recovery.jpg

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at that board, I think they've could have done it a lot easier, and cheaper if the purpose was to outright scam people. I still don't understand how something that happens on the physical layer on the switch is supposed to affect anything on the application layer on the 'Music PC', not to mention the physical layer of a connected DAC, and I've never seen a comprehensive explanation of the uptone proprietor on that subject.

Buy him one of these: https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/538139871/the-7-layers-of-the-osi-model-poster

I've found it impossible to forgot the OSI model after inventing my own mnemonic for a Microsoft exam 28 years ago - All Priests Should Take No Lustful Pleasures :)

Last edited:

Darkweb

All the sexy divorced dads have clocked out for the weekend and are logging on. Look out!

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Esepcially after they find them in competitors products and publicly post their findings and magically, their next gen product contains the same parts as their competitors.

Nice try at obfuscation though.

I'm not sure why anyone would get worked up over using common, commodity parts. They exist so designers don't have to create everything from the ground up.

Trust me I don't care to defend Alex but your reaching a bit. Look at all the USB DAC's that use the XMOS chipset...

Top Bottom