• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current gears - Too much conversion A/D/A - your thoughts?

Jayce996

Hi everyone,
I recently discovered this site (shame on me), which seems so amazing and neutral in the product analysis, i love this way of thinking! congrats to all of you for that!
I currently have the list of hardware below, and i think that there is too many conversions in the signals that the quality may at the end be impacted.

The point of this thread is to get your feedback on the way my system is built, getting some recommendations to enhance it if there are rooms of improvement and sharing in the same time guidelines and recommendations.

So here is my setup and the [associated cables]

Audio
- FLAC/MP3/DSD Music stored on Synology DS411 [Ethernet to]
- NUC i3 with Logitech Media server & KODI [Ethernet to]
- Raspberry Pi 3 + Allo Kali reclocker + Allo Piano DAC + PiCorePlayer [RCA to]
- Pre-amplifier EMOTIVA XMC1 [XLR to]
- DSP Behringer DCX2496 [XLR to]
- Power Amplifiers Crown K1 & AIWA P22 [hifi cable to]
-JBL XPL200 bi amplified

Video
- NUC i3 with Logitech Media server & KODI [HDMI to]
- Pre amplifier EMOTIVA XMC1 [XLR to]
- Digital crossover Behringer DCX2496 [XLR to]
- Power Amplifiers Crown K1 (for bass & mid bass) & AIWA P22 (for tweeter & super tweeter) [hifi cable to]
-JBL XPL200 bi amplified

For games & TV, this is the same almost, PS4 and others are connected to the EMOTIVA Pre-amp via HDMI.
(Almost all equipment is connected to a surge protector Belkin PureAV PF40)

So as you can see, especially for the music there are too many A/D/A conversion from my point of view, and i didn"t find what can be done in order to optimize this.
I tried to:
- connect my Raspberry Pi via USB to my EMOTIVA XMC1, then nurture the DSP via AES output of the XMC1, but i loose volume control, every thing is at volume max, this not usable.
- I cannot get rid of the Digital crossover as these JBL are providing their full potential only when bi-amplified, the Behringer tries to mimick the official but unfindable and unaffordable official crossover JBL DX1.

I'm currently building open baffles like ones provided by Pure Audio Project but i doubt i'll be able to drive them without any crossover/DSP.
Thanks to this forum, I'm also hardly looking at the Topping D70 or DX7 Pro (still looking at the best choice between those 2, knowing that i only need the DAC part of it).

Do i just need to change the DAC? avoid my Pre-amp and connect the DCX24/96 via AES but what would control the volume? change the DCX24/96 by something else? or?

KozmoNaut

I don't think there are too many steps, any modern gear will be using 24-bit ADCs/DACs and thus will be rather well-behaved in regards to noise and SNR.

You should see how many A/D/A conversions happen in a professional studio!

OP
J

Jayce996

having few issues with DSD files and thinking that the Kali+Piano DAC may not be the best DAC eventhough i didn't found any measurement test on it here so may be i'm completely wrong...

garbulky

Major Contributor
(Please note subjective impressions, no dbt performed). The class D Crown's I've heard weren't too great but they weren't awful.
Your XMC-1 is fine as a preamp and you'll likely get great sound out of its DACs as well - which also do DSD. (I have listened to the XMC-1).
I'm guessing your weak point is your speakers.
If I were you, I would get rid of the Crown's, and the speakers and associated crossovers and replace with a nice simpler system. Keep the XMC-1. Try better speakers - you may be surprised at the results.

OP
J

Jayce996

I'm suprised about your comment on the speakers, the review here was very positive.
Anyway, you right that's what i'm looking right now with open baffle design or lxmini speakers.
You mention as well that the XMC1 has a good built-in DAC, this could be a good try, then i should feed it via USB of the raspberry, i need to give it a try either via the built in USB port or a dedicated I2S card

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to optimize your system, simplify the path as much as you can, and keep it in digital domain all the way - not that I think there will be any audible difference.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So as you can see, especially for the music there are too many A/D/A conversion from my point of view, and i didn"t find what can be done in order to optimize this.

If I understand correctly these are the only conversions in your audio chain:
-D/A from your DAC into your preamp
- A/D/A in your behringer

I really don’t think this is an issue. The A/D/A step is going to be completely transparent.

You could potentially remove the DAC and the preamp and go digital direct to the behringer (controlling the volume digitally).

OP
J

Jayce996

From the raspberry, how could i feed the DSP? It recieves only XLR or AES input.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm suprised about your comment on the speakers, the review here was very positive.

"The JBL XPL-200A is considered by many to be the holy grail of loudspeaker systems."

Huh.

Vintage 1989.

No offense, I'd never even heard of them until now, and I'm pretty familiar with the classic and vintage JBL pro monitor lines.

Learn something every day.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Following Julf's line of thought, couldn't you go straight into the DCX2496 unit digitally, and control volume in playback software. All you need is a streamer with digital output. Some of those would include volume control as well.

Maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079F5HGG...1&psc=1&ascsubtag=whathifi-custom-tracking-20

Keep it digital until the end.

Then again, Soniclife posted the thread I had on 8th generation copies of DA/AD loops. You'd probably not have any reason to worry about a couple AD/DA conversions along the way in truth. Listen to those 8th gen conversions and see what you think. Those weren't done with some uber expensive gear either.

Also the XMC-1 has a digital out. A friend has one. I forget if you can control volume with it or not.

Wombat

Master Contributor
If you are happy with the sound of your gear there is no need to change. I would be happy to own those top tier JBLs. :)

OP
J

Jayce996

"The JBL XPL-200A is considered by many to be the holy grail of loudspeaker systems."
Huh. Vintage 1989.
No offense, I'd never even heard of them until now, and I'm pretty familiar with the classic and vintage JBL pro monitor lines.
Learn something every day.
No problem Watchnerd, even if i think that this is not totally true: "the holy grail of loudspeakers systems", this is maybe a little too much :) Anyway i keep them until i find something better, that's the reason why i'm testing OB design and LXMINI speakers in the coming months.

OP
J

Jayce996

Following Julf's line of thought, couldn't you go straight into the DCX2496 unit digitally, and control volume in playback software. All you need is a streamer with digital output. Some of those would include volume control as well.
Maybe something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079F5HGG...1&psc=1&ascsubtag=whathifi-custom-tracking-20
Keep it digital until the end.
Then again, Soniclife posted the thread I had on 8th generation copies of DA/AD loops. You'd probably not have any reason to worry about a couple AD/DA conversions along the way in truth. Listen to those 8th gen conversions and see what you think. Those weren't done with some uber expensive gear either.
Also the XMC-1 has a digital out. A friend has one. I forget if you can control volume with it or not.

Yes, this test reassure me quite a lot, thanks for pointing this. I'll anyway, try to feed the DSP as you said with a first, cost effective, try with this AES/ABU hat for raspberry

and regarding the XMC1, i did try already to see if there is volume control via the AES/EBU output, and the answer is no, it does straight to the DSP at max volume :eek:

OP
J

Jayce996

If you are happy with the sound of your gear there is no need to change. I would be happy to own those top tier JBLs. :)
You know, i think i'm sick, i've an upgradite, some other people in the audio world may have it as well, i'm sure, i'm not the only one :p;)
but i'm curing myself by coming in forum like this one with skilled people who reassures me and help me not spend all my economies in this passion

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know, i think i'm sick, i've an upgradite, some other people in the audio world may have it as well, i'm sure, i'm not the only one :p;)
but i'm curing myself by coming in forum like this one with skilled people who reassures me and help me not spend all my economies in this passion

"Audiophila nervosa" :)

Last edited:
OP
J

Jayce996

hey folks, today, on amazon, the SABAJ D5 is at 390€ should i stay away and keep my XMC1 as a DAC or the Behringer or this is a really good price?

Top Bottom