• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope this clarifies my point of view.

It does, thanks. While I am a big friend of SpeakOn connectors, and use them whenever I can, my issue was mainly with the "3 dB" thing, as "dB" without any qualifiers merely expresses a ratio - a factor of either 2 or 1.41 depending on if we are talking about power or amplitude. A factor of 1.41 over a minuscule amount of distortion is insignificant.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've used this Skyhigh line of 12g speaker cable for a bunch of installs. They currently wire the 9 speakers in my multich rig.
Appears a good 12 gauge, OFC wire that is very flexible and easy to work with.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-feet-OF...631770?hash=item440457b05a:g:KOEAAOSwxCxT6loD

I've also purchased the Nakamichi banana plugs off ebay a number of times. I just ordered a bag of 24 for $11.82 a couple months back and the post here about magnetic rip-offs got me curious so I just tested them. Using a very strong magnet both the ones I have in my system that are about 2 years old and the bag of 24 just purchased show no sign of attraction. ??? YMMV
I do go thru the system every few months unplugging and re-inserting them all to ensure a fresh clean connection. If I feel any sign of one losing it's tension, I'll re-tension or replace it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Because I'm struggling to think of any scenario where a connector will change the LCR values enough to cause an increase/decrease in dB, let alone 3dB worth.

dB are not the same "size".

There are big ones, like 6dB loss = 1 of 2 volts (given a 2V signal) - call the 2V 0dB.

And little ones, where you're incrementing in millionths of a volt, like around -120dB down from 2V which would be 0.000002V, so -6dB from that is 0.000001V.

Last edited:

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
I wonder if real audiophiles ever think about the wafer thin circuit traces inside their equipment? You know, the ones that didn’t cost 1K euros per meter. Why don’t the manufactures use fat, expensive traces?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I wonder if real audiophiles ever think about the wafer thin circuit traces inside their equipment? You know, the ones that didn’t cost 1K euros per meter. Why don’t the manufactures use fat, expensive traces?

Well, among tube amp lovers, they often eschew PCBs for point to point wiring, often coated in silver, etc.

So it's a thing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
+1, have had a pair for like 10 years.

I have the Caranare 4S11 version.
Amen, the BlueJean finished cables are awesome products at reasonable prices
Until you start getting into a multich rig where need at least 3 short runs plus 2 long ones for the rear channels. Then you might even be running a 7.2.4 or more setup and the prices for the longer cables can add up very quickly.
That's when, unless you have a bunch of letters after your last name, it's probably time to look into the DIY options. ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Amen, the BlueJean finished cables are awesome products at reasonable prices
Until you start getting into a multich rig where need at least 3 short runs plus 2 long ones for the rear channels. Then you might even be running a 7.2.4 or more setup and the prices for the longer cables can add up very quickly.
That's when, unless you have a bunch of letters after your last name, it's probably time to look into the DIY options. ;)

TBH, I don't even know what 7.2.4 is.

7 mains, 2 subs and 4.....uhhh....vibration effects machines?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
TBH, I don't even know what 7.2.4 is.

7 mains, 2 subs and 4.....uhhh....vibration effects machines?
7 base mains, 2 subs, and 4 overhead (Atmos type) speakers. ;)

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just another comment ... i usually look at what top manufacturers use for their TOTL products to get some idea
Of course the shape is just one side ... also the materials selection and execution play a very important role
As an example this is a very expensive cable from Nordost, model Odin 2 i guess

t700_ade21aa0c113ad2eeb8ad3b5bec43a7b.jpg

same concept for terminations ... this type of plugs provide a very extended contact area ... efficiency of contact is very important (also cleaning them can be beneficial ... i have tested this myself on RCAs of bad quality i have to say. The sound after cleaning them with a very smelling stain remover that my mother was using for clothes was so much better that is unbelievable)
At present i at aiming at these ... they look just gorgeous

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Banan...sh=item3fc6fe4d30:g:fCoAAOSweYhdJC8h&LH_BIN=1

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
this type of plugs provide a very extended contact area ... efficiency of contact is very important (also cleaning them can be beneficial ...
You know all of these is measurable, right? It is called Resistance, Capacitance and Inductance. All things appart from these datas are nothing but marketing bullshit.
The sound after cleaning them with a very smelling stain remover that my mother was using for clothes was so much better that is unbelievable)
Again, glad you believed to hear something. But, again, this claim is no valuable if you don't do controlled blind listening test (meaning: without knowing about your little upgrade :)).
At present i at aiming at these ... they look just gorgeous
You said it all. The look plays a big role in expectation bias.;)
This is nothing but a BFA plug, by the way. If you care so much about conductivity, don't use rhodium in the first instance. (Not an audible concern, anyway)

One last thing:
.. i usually look at what top manufacturers use for their TOTL products to get some idea
Top manufacturers doesn't mean that much. They are "top" at marketing, certainly not at engineering:

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

gino1961

You know all of these is measurable, right? It is called Resistance, Capacitance and Inductance. All things appart from these datas are nothing but marketing bullshit.

i think we are saying same things. My point is that some connectors provide less resistance contact. Of course i do not have the skills and the instruments to measure this parameter. But some friends who were using bare wires or other banana connectors are switching to the type i mention

Again, glad you believed to hear something. But, again, this claim is no valuable if you don't do controlled blind listening test (meaning: without knowing about your little upgrade :)). You said it all. The look plays a big role in expectation bias.;)
This is nothing but a BFA plug, by the way. If you care so much about conductivity, don't use rhodium in the first instance. (Not an audible concern, anyway)
i swear i did not expect anything really. I am sure that the connectors used by Nordost are quite better than mine that is normal. But the concept is very similar and i will stick with that. Now my interest is on RCA plugs because i do not think that all are the same ... some are better I have to find out which ones.

One last thing:
Top manufacturers doesn't mean that much. They are "top" at marketing, certainly not at engineering:

i do not know for sure. I still think that connections quality is very important. The ideal connections has zero resistance, capacitance and inductance ... a real cable is a deviation from this ideal cable more or less. The smaller the deviation the better the result. I am sure there is no need to spend thousands of dollars to get a decent connection. Maybe for the ultimate connection some special wires like pure silver are needed ? i cannot afford those

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

gino1961

In what way?
I am partial to rhodium plating. If money were not an object i would use only rhodium plated connectors because it is very very resistant to anything from corrosion to abrasion ecc. I understand it is not the best conductor around but it is always splendid. Shining. No rust ever.
The fact that fakes abound it is a sign of their quality. Almost all manufacturers use rhodium for the most expensive products.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost all manufacturers use rhodium for the most expensive products.

In that case, I am sure those manufacturers can show measurements of those improvements.

Top Bottom