• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

hyperknot

It is the Topping D50. The cables will be too stiff for the KTB if it is NOT in a case.

It'll be in the Audiophonics case of course. I'll post photos when it arrives, in the worst case I'll use some cable ties for the first few months.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can use any tube buffer with it.
Most tube buffers have around 0.95x gain or so.
In the light of the Atom, keep it cheap.
Tube buffers just add a little bit of distortion harmonics .
https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-TUBE-01-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B01HEQJGPC
Buying something more expensive won't bring more 'magic' just an emptier wallet.
The linked device is a pre-amp though so it has gain and also more 'tube ... ness' than a true buffer.
You can play with both volpots to get more or less 'effect'.

Last edited:

2ko

Currently, I am using DX3 Pro and thinking about paring my dx3 pro with another standalone headphone amp because the dx3 pro amp is just okay. I'm thinking either JDS Atom or JDS EL AMP. Is this upgrade will be worth the money or should I just stick with dx3 pro until I can afford to buy something like THX 789?

deafenears

Forum Donor
Currently, I am using DX3 Pro and thinking about paring my dx3 pro with another standalone headphone amp because the dx3 pro amp is just okay. I'm thinking either JDS Atom or JDS EL AMP. Is this upgrade will be worth the money or should I just stick with dx3 pro until I can afford to buy something like THX 789?
SMSL SP200 will probably cost around the same price as the JDS EL AMP and performs close to the THX 789. Would be helpful to know what headphone(s) you're planning on driving.

Reactions: 2ko

2ko

SMSL SP200 will probably cost around the same price as the JDS EL AMP and performs close to the THX 789. Would be helpful to know what headphone(s) you're planning on driving.
Mainly for T50RP MK3 and I also have X2 and HD58x Jubilee. I look into SMSL SP200 it seems like a really amp but I need RCA out for my studio monitors.

magicscreen

Has the Atom a linear or switching mode power supply? I know only it has a 16V AC adapter.

veeceem

Has anyone used JDS Atom as a stereo preamp for power amp? And result? I wonder if this is as good as DAC3/HPA4/RME ADI2
Thanks

veeceem

I can now buy khadas tone board DAC + Atom, a $200 combo to use as preamp for my stereo power amp, instead of a $2200 DAC3 or a $1000 RME ADI2
Sound-quality should be the same!
Order placed!
Hyped!

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@veeceem Just a reminder that as far as I know, in the RME ADI2 the cost in not only for a good dac\pre (with balanced outputs), it's also a state of the art headphone amp, digital volume display with real time spectral analysis, many DSP and EQ options, and a remote. For a 1000$ that actually sounds to me like a bargain, even before we get to the world-class DAC part.

maigonis

Can Beyer DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm owners confirm that sound is not distorting? I listen to electronic music, so hi RMS.

AndrovichIV

Forum Donor
Can Beyer DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm owners confirm that sound is not distorting? I listen to electronic music, so hi RMS.

As an owner, can confirm that JDS Labs Atom (and for that matter the less powerful Liquid Spark) can absolutely drive the 250 Ohm DT 770 to very high volume without distortion

maigonis

As an owner, can confirm that JDS Labs Atom (and for that matter the less powerful Liquid Spark) can absolutely drive the 250 Ohm DT 770 to very high volume without distortion

Tnx. I have concerns about buying them because I bought Atom for AKG K712 Pro and they still continued to distort. I'm buying new headphones for about almost a year now, AKG was the 7th pair that I have sent back - I'm a bit tired from this. Almost all headphones that I tried had issues whit distortion, Beyer DT 770, 2x 32 Ohm and 2x 80 Ohm versions, AKG K275 (M50x I just didn't liked, but no distortion). My DAC is Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen and it is know for weak headphone amp, so I got Atom now. I don't want to send anything back again as I'm a bit embarrassed about this.

I'm sure that source is not distorting, I check whit commercial music on My current headphones and speakers, all are clean.

MRC01

Major Contributor
That's strange. Lightning rarely strikes 7 times in the same spot. Have you considered the levels at which you're listening? Does the distortion you're hearing go away at lower levels?

Top Bottom