• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

DeepSpace57

Whatever the reason why you contact the Sabaj customer service is, they are responding promptly, and solving the issue. My tool also is on its way. Wonderful service!!!

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Guys I finally got all my gear together. The chain is Macbook Pro > Sabaj D5 > Classe Sigma Amp 2 > B&W 804's

I'm not sure what my problem is, but my low end is non existent. Do I need a preamp between the Sabaj and amp? I have that Schitt Sys, but wanted to stay balanced out of Sabaj vs RCA (using all high quality cables btw). I'll have to try and see if it brings low end back. Having no problems with headphones, so I'm guessing it's preamp related, just didn't think I needed one. Any recommendations if Schitt doesn't work?
Yup Sabaj as preamp/dac combo is not the best idea.
In my case sound was flat. Low end went pretty low, but overall bass impact wasn't impressing. Sound just didn't has that oomph.
Try with good pre, and the sound should be ok.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I got a tracking number for the update tool. Does anybody know where to actually track it at? It is a number like LW1234567890CN

The website that @Veri mentions should work. That said this is a China Post ePacket number:

"format 5: the number starts with “L” and ends with “CN”, i.e. LK123456789CN, LN987654321CN,LM123456789CN,
This is China Post ePacket parcel. It is almost as faster as EMS and only a little bit more expensive than airmail.
However, ePacket service is only available to limited countries such as USA, Canada, Australia,UK etc."

You might have better luck on websites that are more geared towards tracking China Post specifically, like this one.

marco07

Yup Sabaj as preamp/dac combo is not the best idea.
In my case sound was flat. Low end went pretty low, but overall bass impact wasn't impressing. Sound just didn't has that oomph.
Try with good pre, and the sound should be ok.
You are selecting the line out from the output menu, right? I've read that you should set your volume to the highest setting (40). Hope that helps.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
You are selecting the line out from the output menu, right? I've read that you should set your volume to the highest setting (40). Hope that helps.
Yes you should set volume to 40 but only when you are using pre amp between sabaj and your amplifier.
But when you use sabaj directly connected to power amplifier, sabaj acts as an pre amplifier. Then you control your volume via sabaj volume control.

Lotus97

has anyone tried this DAC with a good preamp and without a preamp? if so, what are differences in sound, etc...…..

I am running this DAC directly to my Anthem 225 amp, but i am getting plenty plenty of bass, at times i have to use eq to lower it.

has anyone tried this DAC with a good preamp and without a preamp? if so, what are differences in sound, etc...…..

I am running this DAC directly to my Anthem 225 amp, but i am getting plenty plenty of bass, at times i have to use eq to lower it.

because that’s an integrated amp...the pre is built in....i put a really cheap denon from 2006 between the sabaj and my classe sigma 2 amp and it sounds great now...sabaj female xlr out to rca cd input on the denon and pre out rca to male xlr into amp..

weird thing is i need to have the loudness button on otherwise it sounds the same as the sabaj straight to amp (no bass)

wondering if it’s worth trying a modern lower end receiver like the onkyo 9110, if it sounds the same as the denon ill return it

Lotus97

because that’s an integrated amp...the pre is built in....i put a really cheap denon from 2006 between the sabaj and my classe sigma 2 amp and it sounds great now...sabaj female xlr out to rca cd input on the denon and pre out rca to male xlr into amp..

weird thing is i need to have the loudness button on otherwise it sounds the same as the sabaj straight to amp (no bass)

wondering if it’s worth trying a modern lower end receiver like the onkyo 9110, if it sounds the same as the denon ill return it

Anthem 225 that I have is not intergraded, its a standalone amp. But there is Anthem 225 intergraded, I don't have that one.

From my Windows 10 desktop I am afraid to go above 30% in volume because my KEF speakers might blow up, its that loud and the bass is so loud that I have to stick them sound damping foam inside the speaker vents to lower the bass output.

What are you feeding the D5 with? what is the source?

I am feeding my D5 with a desktop PC motherboard, optical out. I did hook up my D5 with optical out from my TV, Tablet, and cellphone via USB cable, used the same amp and speakers just to see how it would sound, it was nowhere near as loud, and bass was lacking. I connected the D5 back to my PC motherboard and boom, everything came back to life, so the issue could be the signal that the D5 is being fed.

The way I see it, my pc desktop's motherboard acts like a pre-amp, the motherboard is connected to a $349 1200w Platinum PSU, it better sound good.

Anything other than my desktop PC as the source to the D5, it doesn't sound the same with the same speakers and amp that i have, so I think a pre-amp is a must if someone would connect the D5 straight to a standalone amp with a poor signal source.

I think something like this would make the D5 sing with any source https://www.amazon.com/Vincent-Audi...8441293011&ie=UTF8&qid=1570278824&sr=8-1&th=1

Last edited:

cinstance

I have done comparison a few times between using D5 without a preamp and with a QueStyle CMA800I. The difference is huge. With the CMA800I I get much more fuller mid bass, and silkily smooth treble. With the D5 alone, my speakers sound dry and hard, and I easily get fatigue after less than a hour of listening. I only listen to classical music so I am not sure about how it does for other types of music.

Lotus97

I have done comparison a few times between using D5 without a preamp and with a QueStyle CMA800I. The difference is huge. With the CMA800I I get much more fuller mid bass, and silkily smooth treble. With the D5 alone, my speakers sound dry and hard, and I easily get fatigue after less than a hour of listening. I only listen to classical music so I am not sure about how it does for other types of music.

thank you for the feedback, good to know that a preamp makes a difference, how would you compare the DAC section of CMA800I and the D5? cuz that is one bad ass DAC/AMP/Preamp.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Adding another distortion producing component in the chain shouldn’t increase fidelity. Power amplifiers aren’t generally hard to drive. Anyone want to guess how adding a preamp improves things?

Lotus97

Adding another distortion producing component in the chain shouldn’t increase fidelity. Power amplifiers aren’t generally hard to drive. Anyone want to guess how adding a preamp improves things?

The RCA/XLR output signal from standalone DAC's to a speaker amp can be very low, this is where preamp comes in, this is what I was told. Now, on Amazon there are cheap pre-amps that go for $30, i am sure those will not help, but there are some highend preamps that do wonders from what i read. I have been looking at this for instance, I need a headphone amp and a preamp in the same box, https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Pro-iCAN...0VFFJ5375G1&psc=1&refRID=9557WBGMD0VFFJ5375G1

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR, Balanced/Single-Ended, S-BAL):>147dB(A) / > 137dB(A)

impressive stuff.

Last edited:

cinstance

thank you for the feedback, good to know that a preamp makes a difference, how would you compare the DAC section of CMA800I and the D5? cuz that is one bad ass DAC/AMP/Preamp.
The D5 seems to reveal a little more details than CMA800I’s build in DAC. For example I am now able to hear more clearly the noise of the fingers on violin strings and piano keys (not sure if it is a good thing though :) ).

Lotus97

The D5 seems to reveal a little more details than CMA800I’s build in DAC. For example I am now able to hear more clearly the noise of the fingers on violin strings and piano keys (not sure if it is a good thing though :) ).

I've had the D5 for almost a month now, and I been telling me self if CIA needed a DAC to pull poor audio from recordings, this will do, lol.

thanks for the feedback again, that is one expensive gear you got, what do you think of this device: https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Pro-iCAN...0VFFJ5375G1&psc=1&refRID=9557WBGMD0VFFJ5375G1

i want to get another D5 and connect it to my other devices, but i need a decent preamp.

cinstance

It might very well be the added distortion that make the sound less fatiguing.

cinstance

I've had the D5 for almost a month now, and I been telling me self if CIA needed a DAC to pull poor audio from recordings, this will do, lol.

thanks for the feedback again, that is one expensive gear you got, what do you think of this device: https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Pro-iCAN...0VFFJ5375G1&psc=1&refRID=9557WBGMD0VFFJ5375G1

i want to get another D5 and connect it to my other devices, but i need a decent preamp.
It should be an amazing preamp, but the look is not my taste though :).

rwortman

Forum Donor
The RCA/XLR output signal from standalone DAC's to a speaker amp can be very low, this is where preamp comes in, this is what I was told. Now, on Amazon there are cheap pre-amps that go for $30, i am sure those will not help, but there are some highend preamps that do wonders from what i read. I have been looking at this for instance, I need a headphone amp and a preamp in the same box, https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Pro-iCAN...0VFFJ5375G1&psc=1&refRID=9557WBGMD0VFFJ5375G1

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR, Balanced/Single-Ended, S-BAL):>147dB(A) / > 137dB(A)

impressive stuff.
If the output from the DAC drives the power amp loud enough then it has enough output. This should be a volume problem not a sound quality problem.

Lotus97

If the output from the DAC drives the power amp loud enough then it has enough output. This should be a volume problem not a sound quality problem.

i think the problem is the source that the DAC ls being fed. When i use the optical or usb from my desktop PC to D5 i get amazing sound, but if i plug like a tablet or my phone to the DAC the sound quality is greatly reduced, even after matching the same volume level, much less bass, sound is flatter. i did this test using the same speakers and amplifer.

This is where a nice Pre-amp would help between the Tablet or whatever the source.

Last edited:
Top Bottom