• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex nCore vs Class A amps

ppataki

Major Contributor
Has anyone here had any experience with comparing the sound of an nCore amp (for example an NC250MP or NC400) vs. a class A (or class AB amp)?
'Audiophiles' tend to say that Class D is not for listening to music at home - I totally disagree with that; just wanted to ask if anybody has any experience
Many thanks

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone here had any experience with comparing the sound of an nCore amp (for example an NC250MP or NC400) vs. a class A (or class AB amp)?
'Audiophiles' tend to say that Class D is not for listening to music at home - I totally disagree with that; just wanted to ask if anybody has any experience
Many thanks
I just switched from my 3000€ flagship integrated Amp (Denon PMA-2500NE, 25Kg, Class AB) to 2 litlle Monoblocs, NC250MP based, paired with my ADI-2 DAC. (also, an Apollon AS1200 to come)

I noticed nothing what audiophiles are saying. I'm only enjoying very stable and clean power, with no distortion. It doesn't sound better or worse, just as good for a fraction of the price/weight/size. Period.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@PierreV and what was the outcome please?

I wouldn't hesitate to replace all my amplifiers with NC400s monoblocks (I own two at the moment). The reasons I don't to it are practical (number of power cords, xlr cables), rational (other amplifiers are working well), sentimental (I like the look&feel and experience) but definitely not musical.

Willem

Major Contributor
We did not yet mention that only few class A amplifiers have the kind of power output that you can easily get from these class D amplifiers. And yet, class D electricity consumption is significantly less than of class A room heaters. This will make a real difference to your electricity bill, and to the environment.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
The main difference I would mention would be: Class AB are quieter than Class D.
It's just an hypothesis. What do you think?

jeffbook

Hi,
The main difference I would mention would be: Class AB are quieter than Class D.

Totally disagree. Replaced 2 Adcom GFA-2535 amps for my Linkwitz speakers with a Nord 8 channel Class D (3 NC252MP modules and 1 NC122MP module). The Nord is much quieter and with considerably less THD when measured.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Actually it is the exact opposite. Class D has the least hiss of all (well, except Benchmark's THX class AB :) ).

Typical class D sound is very strong dynamics, absolute silence, and because of that more perception of reverb tails and long decays. Tonality and overall resolution varies with implementation, so it cannot be generalized imo.

Now some people might not get used to the dynamic and clean bass of class D if they are coming from a well known class AB amplifier. It takes some time to get used to it I guess.

I have a friend who went back from NCore NC500 to an Accuphase class A amp, and have known people going from Pass amps to NCore, so there are all kinds of preferences.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Now some people might not get used to the dynamic and clean bass of class D if they are coming from a well known class AB amplifier. It takes some time to get used to it I guess.

Because it is a well known fact that class D amps generally have cleaner and more dynamic bass than class AB amps, right? (whatever "cleaner" and "more dynamic" mean)

That fact can also be verified by pretty much any audiophille wife who hears that difference even from the kitchen. :D

Mtbf

'Audiophiles' tend to say that Class D is not for listening to music at home - I totally disagree with that.
You are right. I have recently bought Apollon Hypex NC1200SL mono blocks and am really impressed with and totally convinced of the sonic qualities of these amps. Wish I had done it earlier. So ignore those 'Audiophiles'. Why mono blocks? Overkill.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because it is a well known fact that class D amps generally have cleaner and more dynamic bass than class AB amps, right? (whatever "cleaner" and "more dynamic" mean)

If you prefer technical terms, higher damping factor to control the woofers and less THD in high power. :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally disagree. Replaced 2 Adcom GFA-2535 amps for my Linkwitz speakers with a Nord 8 channel Class D (3 NC252MP modules and 1 NC122MP module). The Nord is much quieter and with considerably less THD when measured.
Actually it is the exact opposite. Class D has the least hiss of all (well, except Benchmark's THX class AB :) ).

Typical class D sound is very strong dynamics, absolute silence, and because of that more perception of reverb tails and long decays. Tonality and overall resolution varies with implementation, so it cannot be generalized imo.

I have a friend who went back from NCore NC500 to an Accuphase class A amp, and have known people going from Pass amps to NCore, so there are all kinds of preferences.

Happy to stand corrected. FDAs like FX Audio D802, Alientek D8, Topping MX3 produce a lot of hiss in tweeters though which doesn't vary with volume. Perhaps the more high-end Class D amp are super quiet though. I want to try an Hypex one day!

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
If you prefer technical terms, higher damping factor to control the woofers and less THD in high power. :)

Oh, so you claim you can hear differences between damping factor and THD? I'm sure you can tell the difference without knowing which amp is playing otherwise your claim doesn't make much sense..

Btw, IIRC best measured amp here is currently Benhmark AHB2, right? Are you aware it is NOT a D-class amp but AB-class?

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Calm down. Nobody denies that the AHB2 is excellent. However, the various Hypex modules have achieved almost the same measurements, and quite a bit better than the vast majority of traditional class AB amplifiers.

Top Bottom