• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex nCore vs Class A amps

orangejello

Has anyone here had any experience with comparing the sound of an nCore amp (for example an NC250MP or NC400) vs. a class A (or class AB amp)?
'Audiophiles' tend to say that Class D is not for listening to music at home - I totally disagree with that; just wanted to ask if anybody has any experience
Many thanks
I recently got a class d amp, nc400 based. It replaced the class a tube and ss amps that I have. The class a amps were only 50 watts. The class d is 300 watts. So that is some of the difference. To me, the SQ is much superior with Ncore. There is nothing about my class a amps that is better than the ncore. Why class d was disparaged by audiophiles is a history lesson, whose time for revisionism is long overdue.

I also compared the ncore to the Benchmark. I can’t tell you how glad I was to return the Benchmark and get my money back.

From a subjective point of view, I just feel that the ncore gets out of the way of the music and sound just seems to float and easily breath in the room. I feel like a kid in a German candy store every time I sit down to listen these days.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hypex amps measure exceptionally well due to the use of negative feedback. The Bendchmark ABH1 also measures exceptionally well due to the use of feedback.

Krunok

Major Contributor
We did not yet mention that only few class A amplifiers have the kind of power output that you can easily get from these class D amplifiers.

Class A amps are not really known for their power delivery and are pretty much abandoned design for quite a long time now.
Today's best design are AB class amps which easilly deliver better THD and IMD than class A solid state amps.

Maybe you should take some time to watch this video before comparing apples and oranges.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Happy to stand corrected. FDAs like FX Audio D802, Alientek D8, Topping MX3 produce a lot of hiss in tweeters thoughn which doesn't vary with volume. Perhaps the more high-end Class D amp are super quiet though. I want to try an Hypex one day!
There are plenty of similarly noisy AB amps in the same price range as those FDAs you mention, but you don't blame that on them being Class AB. There are good and bad examples with each class of operation.

Willem

Major Contributor
Krunok, will you please calm down. I was responding to the first post in this thread:
"Has anyone here had any experience with comparing the sound of an nCore amp (for example an NC250MP or NC400) vs. a class A (or class AB amp)?
'Audiophiles' tend to say that Class D is not for listening to music at home - I totally disagree with that; just wanted to ask if anybody has any experience
Many thanks"

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm using a Nord One SE UP NC500 DM amp and like it.

I think it offers a small improvement on my Son of Ampzilla (2000) amp but I haven't done any proper comparisons yet - just put the Nord in the system and played. It is certainly less noisy - there was a slight hum with the SoA (possibly associated with it being an American design) and no obvious noise with the Nord - and I think there may be a touch more detail.

So it's certainly as good as the SoA and possibly a touch better. However, I wouldn't like to claim one is better then the other on my limited experience.

tw99

Has anyone here had any experience with comparing the sound of an nCore amp (for example an NC250MP or NC400) vs. a class A (or class AB amp)?
Many thanks

Yes, I've recently replaced a large Class AB amp with a NC502 based power amp. The NC502 amp was cheaper, uses less power, takes up less space and sounds exactly the same. Ignore the audiophile BS...

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
D class amps have been trying to happen for years (Nuforce is the name that springs to mind) and there seem to have been a few false dawns. Now it seems the technology is right and that's why we are seeing a plethora of products.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Krunok, will you please calm down. I was responding to the first post in this thread:
"Has anyone here had any experience with comparing the sound of an nCore amp (for example an NC250MP or NC400) vs. a class A (or class AB amp)?
Many thanks"

Dude, I'm calm. The only one that seems nervous is you.

Mtbf

Btw, IIRC best measured amp here is currently Benhmark AHB2, right? Are you aware it is NOT a D-class amp but AB-class?
And the Hypex nCore is on its heels. It is the question whether we can/should still call the Benchmark a “class AB” amp. Of course it is, but then it doesn’t have any cross-over distortion, so in that respect we could also call it class A without the heating. For me the Benchmark sounds equally terrific, is an equally fantastic product, own them both and couldn’t be happier. The difference btw is much bigger than I had anticipated and the measurements suggest. Sold my 200 W RMS class AB pre/power amp combination for it and will never return.

Krunok

Major Contributor
And the Hypex nCore is on its heels. It is the question whether we can/should still call the Benchmark a “class AB” amp. Of course it is, but then it doesn’t have any cross-over distortion, so in that respect we could also call it class A without the heating.

Not really - for the amp to be in class A you have to have transistors fully open at the middle of the workng curve when no signal is present. Benchmark is clearly AB class.

My point is that A-class amps are relict of the past so no point in comparing them with modern designs.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I said so. Actually it in in a class of its own.

Do you have any idea how THX AAA works? Using feed-forward, minimising bias current and optimising power consumption doesn't really mean it's in "class of its own". Unless of course you read marketing stuff on Benchmark web page, as you did..

Mtbf

Yes I do, I’m not stupid. There is no other product that works the way the Benchmark works, a low bias current class AB power amplifier and a second low power THX AAA amplifier that corrects the distortions of the class AB amplifier. In that sense it is unique. You can go on with your sarcasm for ever, I don’t care.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes I do, I’m not stupid. There is no other product that works the way the Benchmark works, a low bias current class AB power amplifier and a second low power THX AAA amplifier that corrects the distortions of the class AB amplifier. In that sense it is unique. You can go on with your sarcasm for ever, I don’t care.

I didn't say you're stupid - I simply said that it is not in a class of it's own, no matter what marketing people on their webpage are saying.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Yes I do, I’m not stupid. There is no other product that works the way the Benchmark works, a low bias current class AB power amplifier and a second low power THX AAA amplifier that corrects the distortions of the class AB amplifier. In that sense it is unique.

Feed forward amps always have 2nd amp, how else would they work? It is not like Benchmark invented feed-forward, you know.. ;)

Capture.JPG

Mtbf

Agreed. But no other power amp uses the patented THX amp for feed forward or equals the specs of the AHB2.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Agreed. But no other power amp uses the patented THX amp for feed forward or equals the specs of the AHB2.

Those are not really the arguments to put it in the class of it's own. Unless you work in marketing, of course.. :)

Krunok

Major Contributor

Btw, don't get carried away with AHB2 - it may be the best amp measured here but that still doesn't make it the best amp ever made. :D

Mtbf

You’re right, it doesn’t of course. And being ranked no.1 on ASR will only last as long as it lasts. But that is not crucial to me, and also not what I mean. What I do mean is that probably even you would be amazed to hear how well this “Little Big” amp sounds, and is able to control my rather difficult to drive 3-way ported floorstanders. I haven’t been able to reach this level of bass control at home with several other (owned and loaned), substantially more powerful and well renowned class AB amplifiers, and at the same time the highs and mids leave nothing to be desired. And this same excellent quality is delivered by the Hypex nCores, for me they are in the same league. It underscores the importance of high quality amplification in the chain, and it is great that guys like John Siau, Laurie Fincham and Bruno Putzeys have made this possible for us.

Top Bottom