• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Kiko1974

I don't think it is a bat so it is 100% sighted and uncontrolled. Plus, upsampling is pretty much pointless if used with the aim of making tracks "better"
Have you tried Weiss Saracon? Do you know how to configure it properly? Saracon is not a set and forget tool, it's a pro one. Everytime a PCM master is set to Sony's SACD Center in Boulder, Colorado what is converted to DSD with?: Weiss Saracon.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried Weiss Saracon? Do you know how to configure it properly? Saracon is not a set and forget tool.

So can you explain, using terms from physics, engineering, acoustics and mathematics, how upsampling, Saracon or not, could improve sound quality?

mt196

Have you tried Weiss Saracon? Do you know how to configure it properly? Saracon is not a set and forget tool, it's a pro one. Everytime a PCM master is set to Sony's SACD Center in Boulder, Colorado what is converted to DSD with?: Weiss Saracon.
Nobody was arguing the device, I was arguing the upsampling process. It is pointless if your aim is to make sound better, whichever is the device you use to do it

mt196

Hmm ... @Kiko1974 was not saying 'sound better' but rather 'my CD rips sound smoother and more pleasing to listen' which is a bit different ...
Smoother and moore pleasing to me is what can be called better. However the thing was that there should be no difference at all between a 44.1khz and the same file upsampled, it just goes beyond our hearing capabilities and to prove that I am wrong only a double blind test is valid

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello everyone,
now I have Topping D30. Is D50 a lot better?

regards,
Simon
It is not a lot better. Upgrade if you need its other features (e.g. volume control).

Eirikur

Btw, anyone seen this? Be great for Amir to test this thing. https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/recovery

Looks like at least half nonsense (direct quote from the manual, including three spelling errors):
This highly advanced digital reclocking device removes digital errors and drastcally eliminates jiter utlizing an incredible Femto-grade clock.
If jitter is an issue on your DAC, you will probably want to upgrade the USB1.0 DAC...

Burn in tme is suggested at ~50 hours. Enjoy your Recovery and the benefts of a clean USB signal and notceably improved sonic quality!

Perhaps it will be of use as a very expensive hub that includes an incredible (but unspecified) Femto-grade clock? Incredible indeed!

starkiller

So, have had the D50 for a bit so some listening thoughts....sounded a little thin at first but now is pretty fairly balanced...but (there is ALWAYS a but) :), the top seems to be too shrill for these old ears...I listen to a lot of classical music and there are times the flutes are really really too shrill...thoughts for me perhaps??

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, have had the D50 for a bit so some listening thoughts....sounded a little thin at first but now is pretty fairly balanced...but (there is ALWAYS a but) :), the top seems to be too shrill for these old ears...I listen to a lot of classical music and there are times the flutes are really really too shrill...thoughts for me perhaps??

I guess that is what tone controls are good for.

frorqf13

before playing with tone controls, make sure that you do not use +5Vbus into USB cable and power on Topping D50 only from its DC jack with a linear power supply 5Vdc - 30VA as mimimum. Cut off 5Vbus wire into USB cable.
I figure out that when i get odd tones on some hights and low voice (male vocal) tones. With +5Vbus wire cut off, no more issue.

Last edited:

starkiller

So, my gear does not have tone controls so that's out, also, the D50 is being used exclusively with a dedicated CD transport...

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Maybe those tracks are really mastered bit too shrill :) that said if i remember correct this is a ESS based DAC where one can set different roll off filters and there's a chance try a different filter will work for your specific flute tracks, so try study manual how filters look and how to dial between them.
So, my gear does not have tone controls so that's out, also, the D50 is being used exclusively with a dedicated CD transport...

If you have diy skills or a good friend that can help, then one can relative simple with two passive components in a resistor plus capacitor per output channel of D50 get one a usefull 1st order lowpass filter that will probably filter out the worst shrill, below graphs are few 1st order lowpass examples.

1050.PNG

starkiller

DIY skills are pretty non-existant as I have peripheral neuropathy in my fingers and hands so shaking is a big issue, as far as friends go, if this was Denver then maybe but not here in the PNW... have tried two of the filters so will keep experimenting with the other ones and see what happens...

thanks folks for all the help!

Kiko1974

DIY skills are pretty non-existant as I have peripheral neuropathy in my fingers and hands so shaking is a big issue, as far as friends go, if this was Denver then maybe but not here in the PNW... have tried two of the filters so will keep experimenting with the other ones and see what happens...

thanks folks for all the help!
If you find D50's sound shrill or having an agressive top end I'd try with filters 2 and 4 first as these cut off high frequencies more that filters 1, 3 or 5.
I'm 45 and I suffer of tinitus so with some kind of music I find the D50's top end a bit agressive. When I first got my D50 and having seen the roll off charts of the different filters before it arrived my first action when I received it was to check it with filters 3 and 5 with the idea of preserving high frequency content. After 6 months of listening to the D50 with different kinds of music I find filters 2 and 4 more pleasing to my ringing ears.

Kiko1974

Thanks, just switched from 4 to 2 so shall see how things sound
Try also with 7. When I played Van Halen first album (1978) HDTracks download mastered by Chris Bellman at 192/24 I found out that filter 7 made cymbals almost inaudible.

Top Bottom