• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Sol Turntable

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does rekokut mean something dirty in Dutch?

It spells Rek-o-kut
Rek = Rack
Now, the translation from google for the last word (3 letters) gives you the most used meaning but something that is 'kut' is generally considered 'crappy'

So for us Dutch it says Rack-of-worthless crap

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
- I hadn't considered this. I assumed finding an appropriate cartridge wouldn't be too difficult
- I like vinyl precisely due to the tweaky nature of it, so making a concrete arm base and affixing it to my 1200 seems like a fun project and a good way to test new cartridges - have one forgiving cartridge and one more hifi.

If you're going to go 12", you might as well go full SPU

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
However I do wish they had a few features like autoreturn.

You're shopping in the wrong segment. Modern audiophile turntables never have autoreturn.

Even back in the 1970s, best-selling audiophile designs like the LP12 didn't have autoreturn.

Even the new SL-1500C only has autolift, not return.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've just found that Well Tempered is still around <https://www.welltemperedlab.net/products/ltdtonearm/>. Hanging the whole caboodle from a thread is a novel way of avoiding spending any money on bearings! It also comes in a 16" version <https://www.welltemperedlab.net/products/royale-400/> Is this the longest arm available?

If I recall correctly, there is a golf ball involved. It seems less visible than it used to be:

WD-Simplex-ball.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen arms made pretty much from everything: balsa wood to stamped steel. I've seen them straight and cruved. Unipivots, gimbals, knife edge, magnetically suspended. Electro-mechanically and silicone damped. Different anti-skating mechanisms, and some with none at all. Fixed and removable headshells. So many variables.
Indeed, but the basic physics of what is required is straightforward and usually ignored to use marketing-speak mainly using static thinking to wrongly explain dynamic requirements. I have been exasperated about it for over 40 years...

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're shopping in the wrong segment. Modern audiophile turntables never have autoreturn.

Even back in the 1970s, best-selling audiophile designs like the LP12 didn't have autoreturn.

My Goldmund Reference/T3f has auto return :)
I like it.
When it was on the market it was expensive and of all the quality turntables I know of it is the one which deals with the engineering requirements in the most honest manner...

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
If I recall correctly, there is a golf ball involved. It seems less visible that it used to be:

WD-Simplex-ball.jpg
Yes, from the site
The Symmetrex tonearm configuration still uses a fully internal damped arm tube and precision made golf ball suspended in silicone fluid for perfect damping, with the added advantage of enhanced trackability over even the most torturous groove modulation.
(Aren't all golf balls precision made?)

I'd forgotten just how simple the original version was.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My Goldmund Reference/T3f has auto return :)
I like it.
When it was on the market it was expensive and of all the quality turntables I know of it is the one which deals with the engineering requirements in the most honest manner...

Okay, for $75,000, I guess even audiophiles can get auto return. :)

But also no longer made, if I recall correctly.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Autoreturn? Analogue man he need no autoreturn!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Excellent bit of engineering.
I did wonder what you thought of this. Dynamic vs static thinking. I don't recall ever seeing any measurements of the same cart in this vs a "conventional" arm, though, to see how the theory works in practice.

Added: I do remember it getting good reviews in the subjective mags when it first appeared (80s?).

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
If the golf ball can bob and down in the fluid, does the rest of the TT really need a suspension or much damping?
It's hanging from a thread, not elastic band, so no bobbing. It's allowed to move in all other directions though. But this doesn't have much to with isolating the record/cartridge from the environment.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So what happens when it gets to the end does it just run in to the label?

No offense, but if you don't know the answer to this already, you're probably not well-suited for a table as tweaky as the Sol. You may get really really frustrated.

But to answer:

Yes, it will just run into the label over and over for infinity until you manually lift it up again.

OP
G

garbulky

Major Contributor
No offense, but if you don't know the answer to this already, you're probably not well-suited for a table as tweaky as the Sol. You may get really really frustrated.

But to answer:

Yes, it will just run into the label over and over for infinity until you manually lift it up again.
Yeesh! That sounds like it would damage things if you fall asleep on the record.

Top Bottom