• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No love for IcePower?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So I just realized that the PA-1 has a better distortion curve than my Rotel RA-1572 integrated.

Rotel (from Polish website):
index.php

I find that THD vs Po graph rather unlike anything Rotel would put their name on.

Consider Rotel have always rated from 250mW to rated power with a conservative THD. This is rated at 0.03% 20-20K and 120W/ch. I simply don't believe that Polish plot is remotely correct unless there is a ton of noise in their setup.

maty

Major Contributor
I find that THD vs Po graph rather unlike anything Rotel would put their name on.

Consider Rotel have always rated from 250mW to rated power with a conservative THD. This is rated at 0.03% 20-20K and 120W/ch. I simply don't believe that Polish plot is remotely correct unless there is a ton of noise in their setup.

Since a few days ago I have begun to distrust the measurements of THD + N and SNR-A of the Polish page. The noise is too high in many of the products analyzed.

I sent an email about it but they have not answered.

filo97s

There's also the SMSL A8 which is built around an icepower 125ASX2. Maybe SMSL is kind enough to send a unit for a review.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The datasheet was a good read and very comprehensive indeed. AP graphs and all. If ever, Amir would just validate and fingers crossed the Emotiva box and wiring does not degrade.

Oh, and an FTC power rating (140W)! Restorer John would be happy. Take that Hypex NCore and Benchmark :p

Overall I like what see, though I'm a bit bothered by the harmonic distortion at high frequencies:
View attachment 29219
Yes, rising THD under 6.67 kHz is ICEpower's Achilles heel... nCore has this perfected.

See below how this has been evolving from 1000ASP to 125ASX2 to 1200AS and finally NC500.

class D 4 ohms.jpg

Purifi probably has the 3 frequencies close together and descending without humps as we have seen on their product brief.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be interesting to see Amir's measurements of the flagship 1200AS2. Anyone willing to lend to Amir?
Datasheet here:
https://icepower.dk/download/5748/

Still most class D manufacturers (ICEpower, Hypex, Purifi, Pascal) share their module's datasheets on their website, made with Audio Precision too, so there is not much of a surprise when Amir measures them. THD x power and IMD x frequency for example are there.

It is a lot more interesting for me when Amir measures the traditional class AB amplifiers that had unknown graphs until then. :)

Below a nice looking Apollon amplifier based on 1200AS (890 euros).

View attachment 29186
I'm probably going to buy this one, see how it compares to my two nc250mp monoblocs.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't Teac use ICE power? Amir measured their AX501 integrated amp not long ago.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could always get this instead:
https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-s300-power-amplifier/#tab-specs

Probably the same ICE Power amplifier modules with another 2.5 db of gain added from a class A "gain cell" . Just another $870 and some more circuitry which you may or may not need. [PS says 30.5 db gain for full output (or 1 volt, Emotiva 28 db. Emotiva's support group wrote me 2 v. for full output on the PA-1. I thought doubling the voltage should be 6 db.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Audiophonics, any plan to release an amp based on Icepower AS1200?
Some "PA-S1200" with the same enclosure as PA-S500NC?

Other than a different case and supplier, what does that bring to the table. I believe the AS1200 requires 5V to reach full power. It's more than the typical balanced DAC and would require a balanced preamp at extra expense.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than a different case and supplier, what does that bring to the table.
Competitive price. Fast shipping to France with 2 years warranty, to my concern...
It's more than the typical balanced DAC and would require a balanced preamp at extra expense
As an ADI-2 DAC owner, 5V is fine and not an issue.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The z-review of the PA-1

At around 20 minutes he gets into subjective SQ saying these amps add a bit if sibilance to the highs that his Crown 2502 does not. Perhaps Zeos is hearing the rise in THD at high frequencies viewed in the measurements above. That kind of cools my jets so far as buying a pair goes.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The z-review of the PA-1

At around 20 minutes he gets into subjective SQ saying these amps add a bit if sibilance to the highs that his Crown 2502 does not. Perhaps Zeos is hearing the rise in THD at high frequencies viewed in the measurements above.

300AS1 from the Emotiva PA-1: always the rising 6.67kHz THD... right there in the sibilance range...

300AS1.JPG

Last edited:

sajunky

The z-review of the PA-1

At around 20 minutes he gets into subjective SQ saying these amps add a bit if sibilance to the highs that his Crown 2502 does not. Perhaps Zeos is hearing the rise in THD at high frequencies viewed in the measurements above. That kind of cools my jets so far as buying a pair goes.
Maybe he needs twisted pair speaker cables.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
300AS1 from the Emotiva PA-1: always the rising 6.67kHz THD... right there in the sibilance range...

View attachment 32458
Looks like MANY class D amp modules show the same rise in distortion at 6,6Khz. Entry level Icepower, and all Pascal and Anaview show the same issue.

Still the AS1200 seems a little bit more polite about this:

Screenshot_20190903-085337_Drive.jpg

The rise occurs with all harmonics but if you look at the scale, it is still under 0.009% THD+N... before clipping. That is not State of the Art but I guess this is not audible... with insane power available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom