• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No love for IcePower?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Looks like MANY class D amp modules show the same rise in distortion at 6,6Khz. Entry level Icepower, and all Pascal and Anaview show the same issue.

Still the AS1200 seems a little bit more polite about this:

View attachment 32473

The rise occurs with all harmonics but if you look at the scale, it is still under 0.009% THD+N... before clipping. That is not State of the Art but I guess this is not audible... with insane power available.
0.009 % distortion is a respectable figure for such a powerful amplifier, but I think some people can hear it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
0.009 % distortion is a respectable figure for such a powerful amplifier, but I think some people can hear it.

More likely some people think they can hear it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1200AS is the only ICE Edge module in their line. Maybe the new chip is responsible for this improvement. But I don't understand why didn't they trickle down this tech to the lower powered modules yet... It's not like they don't have competition going on...

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
More likely some people think they can hear it.
Well, I am far to be an expert on the subject of human hearing, but my reasoning is:
- at 1 kHz the ATH from humans is between 0 to 15 dB SPL.
- 0.009% is about -80 dB
=> at 15 + 80 = 95 dB SPL, somebody trained to detect distortion should hear it.
If I'm wrong, please explain without shouting too loud, I had a very bad night ;).

Edited min ATH

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I am far to be an expert on the subject of human hearing, but my reasoning is:
- at 1 kHz the ATH from humans is between 0 to 15 dB SPL.
- 0.009% is about -80 dB
=> at 15 + 80 = 95 dB SPL, somebody trained to detect distortion should hear it.
If I'm wrong, please explain without shouting too loud, I had a very bad night ;).

- 0.009% is about -80 dB, yes, so that would be 80 dB down from the loudest you play - let's assume 105 dBSPL or so. That would put the distortion at 25 dBSPL. On it's own it would possibly be audible, but the noise floor of your room is probably aroun 35 dBSPL. Much more importantly, you never listen to distortion products in isolation. That distortion is totally masked by the fundamental tone at 80 dB louder than the distortion.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- 0.009% is about -80 dB, yes, so that would be 80 dB down from the loudest you play - let's assume 105 dBSPL or so. That would put the distortion at 25 dBSPL. On it's own it would possibly be audible, but the noise floor of your room is probably aroun 35 dBSPL. Much more importantly, you never listen to distortion products in isolation. That distortion is totally masked by the fundamental tone at 80 dB louder than the distortion.
According to @amirm testing methodology: The THD+N of the AS1200 is at 5W / 4 ohms, 0.004% maximum. How this translate in SINAD?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to @amirm testing methodology: The THD+N of the AS1200 is at 5W / 4 ohms, 0.004% maximum. How this translate in SINAD?

You can use this Decibel calculator. You just have to convert the % into a pure number by dividing it by 100 (so insert 0.00004 in the lower field, select "factor" and go "calculate". In this case you get (-) 88 dB.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Ok for for the noise floor, a bit less for the masking. Distortion products can be outside of the masking band.
You can use this Decibel calculator. You just have to convert the % into a pure number by dividing it by 100 (so insert 0.00004 in the lower field, select "factor" and go "calculate". In this case you get (-) 88 dB.
These links are converting % to dB, not THD+N to SINAD.
To be pedantic, THD+N is a good approximation of SINAD, but it's missing the spurious tones.
SINAD = -10 log (10^(-SNR/10) + 10^(-THD/10) ) (note that it's THD, not THD+N)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok for for the noise floor, a bit less for the masking. Distortion products can be outside of the masking band.

The distortion products are still harmonics. Masking might not be the perfectly accurate term, but our ear is much less sensitive to additional harmonics as compared to random uncorrelated noise.

To be pedantic, THD+N is a good approximation of SINAD, but it's missing the spurious tones.

That is why I pointed to the basic decibel converter - the OP started out from THD+N.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The distortion products are still harmonics. Masking might not be the perfectly accurate term, but our ear is much less sensitive to additional harmonics as compared to random uncorrelated noise.
Then why dither? It's exactly adding random uncorrelated noise in order to get correlated quantization errors disappear.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

In which case they will be part of the noise component.

Its really quite accurate

example
1567515379911.png

1567515318118.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then why dither? It's exactly adding random uncorrelated noise in order to get correlated quantization errors disappear.

"Correlated quantization errors" is not the same as harmonic distortion.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

So using this link to calculate ICEpower 125ASX2 stereo SINAD into ASR standards (1 kHz, 4 ohms, 5 watts has THD+N 0.002% as per the green line on graph) gives SINAD = 94. Right?

125ASX2 SE THDN 4ohms.JPG

If so, this would be right up there in the middle of the blue sector of the master SINAD chart for power amplifiers.

Not bad for a small, all-in-one (buffer+power stage+power supply), stereo $125 module! :D

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like the idea of simple amplifiers based on class D boards, like me, make sure to check Nord and Apollon websites. Lots of models to choose from, great prices.
Ahem, March Audio

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
So using this link to calculate ICEpower 125ASX2 stereo SINAD into ASR standards (1 kHz, 4 ohms, 5 watts has THD+N 0.002% as per the green line on graph) gives SINAD = 94. Right?
Right

If so, this would be right up there in the middle of the blue sector of the master SINAD chart for power amplifiers.

Not bad for a small, all-in-one (buffer+power stage+power supply), stereo $125 module! :D
Would be SINAD = 70 if 6.67 kHz, 4 ohms, 5 watts.
That's why I am personally not a fan of the SINAD at 1 kHz as one and only quality indicator. From engineering standpoint, getting clean signal at 1 kHz is much easier than at 20kHz.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. That is why the competing Hypex Ncore NC122MP would give SINAD = 100 at 1kHz (SINAD =104 at 6.67kHz!, so in theory "free of added sibilance"), in a small, all-in-one, stereo, slightly more expensive $190 module.

Again, imo, ICEpower should trickle down their ICE Edge tech to these lower powered modules ASAP.

Ncore NC122MP THDN 4 ohms.JPG

Top Bottom