• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No love for IcePower?

maty

Major Contributor
Review and Measurements of PS Audio S300 PWR Amp

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185662/ps-audio-stellar-s300-power-amplifier/p2

Optimized and resized

index.php

Two ICEpower 300AS1 modules + PS Buffer.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR continues to grow in popularity and relevance. A Google search for "Icepower Amplifier Review" yields the below results using the "Past Year" filter

(ASR is the third result with either no filter,e.g., "Any Time" or without the word "review" included.)

Google ICEPower ASR.jpg

Ellisr63

We are building a single amp box with 7 IcePower ASX125 amp modules in balanced mode along with 3 IcePower ASX50 BTL amp modules. We are running these amps as if we had 3 multichannel amps in one box. We are doing this so we can power up the front 2 bi-amped channels when we want stereo, and 3 amp modules more on another power button for center and surround, and 2 more for real surrounds. We will be running 3 PowerCon cables into the amp, and they will power the selected amp modules.

My questions are...
1: Grounding...DO we run all the amps to a single ground point, or do we run each group of amps to their own ground point?

2: Fuses...does anyone run fuses on these or does everyone just use the onboard fuses? If I run external fuses, what amperage would I run, and would they be a fast blow or a slow blow?

3: Buffers...are they necessary with a balanced preamp, And running all amp modules in balanced mode?

Thank you,
Ron

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their chassis are beautiful!
They are.

But (as I already said), both QC and finish from Peachtree are bad. At least, I hope they just put an 1200AS2 inside and called it done. That way, no risk for reliability.

You have to know this wood/high gloss finish will mark so easily. My Nova 300 got several micro-scratches everywhere only during the first week I got it (while I did nothing but cleaning a bit of dust with microfiber).

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sent in my ghent 125asx2 amp to Amir. I don't know when he'll test it. I did a builder's review you can find in my posts.

MenloBob

How good are the speakers, they seem diy?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I built them myself. The horns are constant directivity to 800hz and I use very steep linear phase FIR filter active crossovers with a Mac based custom DSP. I now have 4 125asx2 modules, each driving it's own 12" driver. They are dynamic, flat from 27hz - 16kz where my hearing is gone anyway. And capable of insane volume.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I built them myself. The horns are constant directivity to 800hz and I use very steep linear phase FIR filter active crossovers with a Mac based custom DSP. I now have 4 125asx2 modules, each driving it's own 12" driver. They are dynamic, flat from 27hz - 16kz where my hearing is gone anyway. And capable of insane volume.

They look very nice :) Did you also DIY the horns?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the lower chambers ported or sealed?

Ellisr63

Are you running rhe amps in BTL mode?

strummr

Anyone with experience with the early, over-priced implementations by 'brand' names? Bel Canto S500, REF500/600M? There's also the monoblocks from PS Audio M700 (already reviewed).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir reviews what Amir gets... Send him some ICEpower amps to measure!
I have a spare Emotive PA-1 I could send Amir.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone reached out to B&O asking them to send one in for review. They said they didn't have any so I should go and buy the Emotiva. :(
I have a spare one if you'd care to measure its performance.

Mario Soldier

I think the cool thing with some of the ICEPowers, especially the 1200AS1/2 is how much stuff you could potentially run off its additional power rails.

I have 3 broken 1200 AS1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! And i have a löot of modules the 1200 is the only one that is broken so far....-

I have also 2 125AX2 , 9 300As1 and 2 3001, 2 700 AS1 monos, and a 700 AS2 stereo, no problems som far

Last edited:
Top Bottom