• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp

dwkdnvr

order placed. hope that I can tell some difference between it and my current topping D70. Don't want to burn any more money...
Uh, do you really expect to hear a difference between 2 DACs that both measure in the top tier with distortion products at -110dB or better? There is negligible difference between them in my view - I'd be stunned if anyone could hear a difference. I got one as an 'upgrade' from my Tone Board/JDS Atom strictly since my Neurochrome amp has balanced inputs, and this gives me a nice 2-box balanced solution - I don't really expect the audible performance to be any better. (not really an 'upgrade' - the TB/Atom will go to work to give me a headphone system, so I needed a replacement for my home desktop)

zym1010

Forum Donor
Uh, do you really expect to hear a difference between 2 DACs that both measure in the top tier with distortion products at -110dB or better? There is negligible difference between them in my view - I'd be stunned if anyone could hear a difference. I got one as an 'upgrade' from my Tone Board/JDS Atom strictly since my Neurochrome amp has balanced inputs, and this gives me a nice 2-box balanced solution - I don't really expect the audible performance to be any better. (not really an 'upgrade' - the TB/Atom will go to work to give me a headphone system, so I needed a replacement for my home desktop)

Oh, I hope there is some difference in terms of their “sonic signatures” as some people say that AKM chips have more musicality and ESS ones perform better in benchmarks.

Majestyk

If top tier DACs sound the same then that would mean the filters (Sharp, Slow, etc) all sound the same too.

zym1010

Forum Donor
IMO, I don't think it's going to be a DAC killer with the ESS IMD Hump.

I hear you (but the hump here seems not that big). I guess my main motivation is to have a (budget) state-of-the-art ESS-based DAC to compare with a AKM-based one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

DeepSpace57

@amirm if you have still the unit and time, can you have a check the jitter performance of I2S input over USB input? I am instinctively of the opinion that I2S is the best option.

Silou

I was looking at this product for a while. Maybe on 11.11.
How can the warm up be explained?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How can the warm up be explained?
They say this:

1565417086770.png

Maybe it quickly gets to temp normally without a heatsink.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not get close to the SINAD rating they had. I then read on their website something to the effect of heatsinks are used and hence the unit needs 30 minutes to warm up to required temps. I usually don't put much weight on such comments but here, it was a real deal. After around 30 minutes while I was doing other things, performance jumped way up:
I'm shocked. Never believed in warm up before...
That's really the point of ASR: objectively prove (or disprove) something even if it's hard to believe from an objectivist point of view.

@amirm Do you think the provided unit was cherry picked by the company?

Some might wonder... But honestly, even if it was cherry picked: This shows Sabaj is perfectly able to design a highly performing DAC.

PS: It seems like the very top of the SINAD chart is dominated by ES9038 Pro units.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I'm shocked. Never believed in warm up before...
That's really the point of ASR: objectively prove (or disprove) something even if it's hard to believe from an objectivist point of view.

Some might wonder... But honestly, even if it was cherry picked: This shows Sabaj is perfectly able to design a highly performing DAC.

PS: It seems like the very top of the SINAD chart is dominated by ES9038 Pro units.

Its not the first time I have heard of such things. But in this case, 30 mins seems a reasonable amount of time for electronics to reach a stable temperature. At least its not some ludicrous " hours " ....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Do you think the provided unit was cherry picked by the company?
No I don't. They sent me the dashboard of another unit which was within 1 dB. So there are at least two with such performance. :)

Sabaj seems like a proper company to me. This is cheap enough device that I could test another in the future and find any schemes like that. They would have to be quite unwise to send me a hand optimized one.

If one of you wants to drop ship me one, I can test and confirm and then forward it on to you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just adding on, they had a 2-series Audio Precision analyzer and just bought the APx555 that I have. So the design was verified using proper measurements. Such companies usually produce high performance products as they know and catch problems before I see them.

Top Bottom