• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THX is what? And why would it be important to an audiophile?

BigVU's

Forum Donor
My Pioneer Elite VSX 56TXi is THX certified. I thought that was cool because it was my first real piece of audio gear and it still is. It got me into the movie nights at the home scene and of course a pile of DVD's. Since Star Wars and Lucas Films was touting this THX audio and it was such a cutting edge movie when I was younger, it had to be super good, or at least best I could afford, right? So I got it because it had the THX certifications and who wouldn't want movie quality sound for movie nights right? Add the klipsch and here I am still today.

I have no clue about this THX stuff other than the marketing around it and some articles by apparently well regarded audiophile engineers.

So I pop over to the THX website and there they have some of their certified equipment vendors. I noticed there was no Marantz, no Pioneer, no McIntosh, but did see Onkyo and Integra.

So why THX? If it is so good why wouldn't all top of the line or audiophile accepted equipment not have this badge?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My best guess.
Audio hardware (like receivers) manufacturers might have to pay a small royalty fee for each audio device to be called "THX certified".
So it saves a little in cost to manufacturers not having to be THX certified.
Also any serious audio listener (buyer), would look deeper into the hardware specs, beyond what is printed in a brochure.
While the label of being THX certified, like in a marketing brochure, used as a marketing gimmick,, might help sell lowering costing receivers.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
THX,, the great Tomlinson Holman Experiment.
Tomlinson M. Holman (born 1946) is an American film theorist, audio engineer, and inventor of film technologies, notably the Lucasfilm THX sound system. He developed the world's first 10.2 sound system.
Linking the THX logo to the StarWars movie, a sound experience that many had never heard before.
Made for great marketing power. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So why THX? If it is so good why wouldn't all top of the line or audiophile accepted equipment not have this badge?

As far as I know, none of my toys are badged with a THX sticker.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We had a chance to acquire THX while I was at Microsoft. I was surprised how little meat there was on the bone there so we passed. Creative Labs acquired them. They in turn sold them to Razer (gaming company).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do I recall rightly that some measures of THX gear for the home indicated they failed pretty badly at meeting the THX guidelines. As if once someone paid for the right to the THX logo, no one checked if it was true?

I've read the ideas behind THX in detail, and yes not much meat on the bone. Though a little more picky than basic measures if the gear really meets the spec. Of course if it doesn't meet the spec then it literally means nothing. I always thought a company could do well to explain THX spec in detail, make gear that exceeded it handily and then advertise it as beyond THX or THX+ with the plus being no THX cert needed or paid for by the consumer.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
The only use I had for THX was the measurements for cinema screens. Wanted to know viewing angles and distance from screen. Other than that, just tested the THX sound demos for fun. The THX logo is a marketing exercise. Much like Harman Kardon and JBL on car audio (Most of it)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My Pioneer Elite VSX 56TXi is THX certified. I thought that was cool because it was my first real piece of audio gear and it still is. It got me into the movie nights at the home scene and of course a pile of DVD's. Since Star Wars and Lucas Films was touting this THX audio and it was such a cutting edge movie when I was younger, it had to be super good, or at least best I could afford, right? So I got it because it had the THX certifications and who wouldn't want movie quality sound for movie nights right? Add the klipsch and here I am still today.

I have no clue about this THX stuff other than the marketing around it and some articles by apparently well regarded audiophile engineers.

So I pop over to the THX website and there they have some of their certified equipment vendors. I noticed there was no Marantz, no Pioneer, no McIntosh, but did see Onkyo and Integra.

It set a kind of threshold engineering quality standard, whereby casual consumers could feel comfortable that whatever component they bought that had the certification would be able to perform adequately in their home. There were different levels of THX (Ultra, Ultra 2 for example) which basically 'certified' them for performance in larger and larger room sizes, up to something like 3,000 sq/ft I believe.

Basically, it can weed out the garbage, but a non THX Bryston amp is not necessarily going to underperform.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir's post above is correct. Here is the long version if you want the history.

THX began as a purported certification program for movie theaters. As the story goes, George Lucas was upset about the poor quality of movie theater projection and sound in theaters where Star Wars films were being shown. In the early 1980s, he met Tomlinson Holman, then known for the Apt Holman preamplifier. Holman had some ideas about using subwoofers in movie theaters, and THX--actually an abbreviation for Tomlinson Holman's Crossover (Xover)--was born. (It was by all accounts just a coincidence that THX was part of the title of the title of a George Lucas short film later remade as the feature THX 1138.)

I know nothing about the projection or sound requirements for movie theaters that THX supposedly imposed on its certified theaters, but I do recall going to a THX-certified theater in Washington, DC as a child. That theater had much better sound than the non-THX theaters in the small town where I grew up.

Later THX expanded into home theater certification. I believe that the THX home theater program initially was a holistic set of standards for a home theater: to have a THX home theater, you had to buy all THX equipment through a THX installer. There supposedly were specific requirements for every piece of equipment in a THX system, including cables and the projection screen. Such equipment usually included a CRT front projector costing more than $10,000 (Runco was a common brand); a speaker system usually consisting of three MTM left-center-right speakers, two "dipole" surrounds mounted on the wall to bounce sound all over the room, and two subwoofers (common brands were M&K, Snell, and Atlantic); a separate processor with specific processing modes and EQ features (often made by Lexicon); and moderately powerful amplifiers (I remember that certain NAD, Parasound, and Rotel amplifiers had the certification). The dipole surrounds were the most distinctive part of the system because they were designed to bounce sound all over the room, in contrast to what surround channels were supposed to do later, when discrete surround codecs and multichannel music came into existence. (The notion of bouncing sound all over the room lives on in Tomlinson Holman's latest product, the Apple HomePod, which has rear-facing tweeters designed to make the sound more spacious.)

There were some kids in the town where I grew up whose dad had a "media room" built. The media room housed a real, certified THX home theater. In our little social circle, that media room was a big deal in the early 1990s, and we had a lot of fun watching Star Wars, Die Hard, etc. on LaserDisc in the media room. The sound in that media room was really loud, but it was definitely not high-fidelity. The picture on the CRT projector was okay but of course worse in all respects (except perhaps color depth) than what one can get from any inexpensive HDTV today.

THX also certified the sound and picture on certain videotapes and discs. I guess those media tended to be on the higher-quality side, but I don't know what was involved technically, if anything, other than adding the loud THX sound effect before the movie.

Later, perhaps around 2000, THX began certifying downmarket A/V receivers that one could buy in mass market stores. I recall the definite sense that they had begun just to stamp their logo on gear made by companies that paid for the privilege. There were different levels--THX Select, THX Ultra, and THX Ultra 2--but those levels did not seem to correspond to the quality of what was certified. A relative of mine had a THX Ultra 2 Onkyo receiver that was clearly an underpowered piece of junk.

I'm not sure when THX began to develop--or perhaps buy the patent rights to--amplifier technologies, such as those used in the Benchmark power amp. Licensing a state-of-the-art amplifier technology seems like a more substantial contribution to audio than THX's other activities over the years have been.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's sort of sad to me that consumers have so little guidance in buying audio equipment, guidance that is surely needed. THX would have been a great starting point if it specified speaker linearity; it guaranteed a certain output level and frequency range for example. It had industry support and tied the mixing room to the living room together.

What are we left with? THX means very little. Stereophile class A/B? Are you kidding? Reviews? Manufacturer specifications?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
What are we left with? THX means very little. Stereophile class A/B? Are you kidding? Reviews? Manufacturer specifications?

Sort of like Corning selling the Pyrex trademark without any requirements, so now they stamp Pyrex on soda glassware and it explodes going from fridge to microwave.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR and, for speakers, the Stereophile and 3D3A lab measurements.

Right - however these sources don't focus on inexpensive speakers, and they don't really characterize how loud and clean they can play, both of which are important to consumers. Seriously, how can you tell if a speaker will fill *your* room with satisfying clean bass? It's hard to tell. Power ratings mean very little, and woofer sizes aren't a great indicator either.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right - however these sources don't focus on inexpensive speakers, and they don't really characterize how loud and clean they can play, both of which are important to consumers. Seriously, how can you tell if a speaker will fill *your* room with satisfying clean bass? It's hard to tell. Power ratings mean very little, and woofer sizes aren't a great indicator either.
Rooms come in many shapes and sizes, and different people listen at different levels. So while standards would be good for those of us who care about high fidelity and realistic listening levels, I'm not sure how much demand for such standards exists.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rooms come in many shapes and sizes, and different people listen at different levels. So while standards would be good for those of us who care about high fidelity and realistic listening levels, I'm not sure how much demand for such standards exists.

That's just the thing though - the THX standard made some attemt to guarantee output level and bass extension at certain distances. That's a really useful metric for consumers.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's just the thing though - the THX standard made some attemt to guarantee output level and bass extension at certain distances. That's a really useful metric for consumers.
I'm reasonably certain that the Select, Ultra and Ultra 2 certifications were a complete farce. There were Ultra 2 A/V receivers that had no prayer of driving five (or seven!) channels to realistic listening levels in a reasonably sized room.

I'm not sure if those certifications are still given, but if they are, maybe they mean more now than they did then.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
THX,, the great Tomlinson Holman Experiment.
Tomlinson M. Holman (born 1946) is an American film theorist, audio engineer, and inventor of film technologies, notably the Lucasfilm THX sound system. He developed the world's first 10.2 sound system.
Linking the THX logo to the StarWars movie, a sound experience that many had never heard before.
This is true. I watched the first THX movie in the USA in the 80ies and it was a truely impressive performance - the best sound I' ever heard in my life. Just the intro made me speechless.
Made for great marketing power. ;)
The problem was the step from cinema (controlled environment) to home cinema (uncontrolled environment). It just did not work.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the early days THX certification did tend to be associated with good equipment and I got the impression it did mean something, however later on it became something of a joke, high res seems to be going the same way.

Hugo9000

I bought the NAD 2400THX amplifier back in December of 1991 (I remember clearly as it was part of the first real stereo equipment I ever bought, prior to that I had a CD boombox and various other portables only). At that time, they supposedly had specifications requiring a certain amount of dynamic power, etc. for certification of amplifiers. The THX mode in the case of my amp involved putting the switch on the back to THX (labeled as "lab" mode on the non-THX version lol), which bypassed the channel level adjustments and bypassed the infrasonic and ultrasonic filters. I have pdf copies of the manuals, but I don't have the promotional literature that actually told what the THX specs for home equipment were at that time. I seem to recall that NAD was bragging that they were the only company at that time to have certification for a home amplifier, for whatever that's worth lol. By the time I next noticed anything with a THX logo, it seemed they were allowing little computer speakers to be "certified" haha!

But even if the required specs were decent in the early days for home use, in the case of NAD, their regular models already met those specs, all they did was put the logo on the front, and change the labeling of the "Lab" inputs and switch to say THX instead. The technician who worked at the store where I bought my amp said he had opened up both versions and tested/verified that they were identical other than the labeling.

FWIW, here are the published specs for the NAD 2400THX:
Continuous average power into 8 ohms, both channels driven, with no more than the rated distortion, 20Hz-20kHz): 100 W (20 dBW)
Rated distortion (THD, 20Hz-20kHz): 0.03%
Clipping power (maximum continuous power per channel): 130 W
IHF Dynamic Headroom at 8 ohms: +5.7 dB
IHF Dynamic Power (maximum short-term power per channel): 8 ohms 370 W (25.7 dBW), 4 ohms 400 W (26 dBW), 2 ohms 440 W (26.4 dBW)
(4 ohm and 2 ohm measurements with switch set to 4 ohms/"Normal", 8 ohm measurements with switch set to 8 ohms/"High")

Last edited:
Top Bottom