• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile Reviews Dutch & Dutch 8C

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those measurements in Stereophile do look in several ways to be better than anything they've ever tested before now. So maybe it will be superseded in a few years time. So then you'll have maybe the 2nd best speaker made. I hope for trickle down effects, but see no reason those wanting the best now and know they are early adopters would hesitate.
I'm also curious if more brands will design a cardioid speaker. Active (like the Kii) or passive. This would be great for consumers.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Too difficult to do it right. And the benefit is perhaps not that great in every room.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I’d love to seem them side by side with the equivalent KEF or Revel.
Sorry for the detour of my previous reply but seeing them side-by-side is not the issue, I am guessing. However, hearing them side-by-side while not seeing them is.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm also curious if more brands will design a cardioid speaker. Active (like the Kii) or passive. This would be great for consumers.
Given the positive reviews, and the forum inches this class of speaker have been generating over the last few years it would seem odd if a few of the bigger companies didn't add some. Not that logic and hifi are friends.
It's potentially a great engineering challenge /race, who can produce the cheapest, smallest and prettiest design that meets the flat on axis, flat but attenuated off axis spec.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
There are some really fine measuring speakers available, the Kiis/8Cs have an advantage though when the speaker is actually placed in a room.
It is immediately apparent when you hear them compared side by side with any other design.
Keith

@Purité Audio , you wrote:

«It is immediately apparent when you hear them compared side by side with any other design».

I placed Kii3 side by side with the Genelec 8351. The difference was NOT night and day.

8351 is bigger and sounded «fuller», which is normal as you go up in size.

There is no special magic in speakers, which this comparison showed.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I found the pair quite different not just the Genelecs comparative lack of bass extension, and their bass reflex design which I just don’t get on with.
In the near field the Gens were ok, but as you sat back the bass was all over the place, and they lack the clarity of the Kiis.
Perhaps a pair of subs and GLM would help?
Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those measurements in Stereophile do look in several ways to be better than anything they've ever tested before now. So maybe it will be superseded in a few years time.
It's hard to see how they could be better, without a change of test kit and methodologie from stereophile, they seem to be up against the limits of how they test.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I didn’t compare them to omni’s, dipoles or those single driver speakers with whizzer cones because that would have just been a waste of time.
Keith
Just giving you a bad time, Keith. Although i don't like their looks - and certainly could not afford them, I will admit that they appear to be world-class performers.

Then again, I don't think these $70,000 loudspeakers are eye-pleasers either...
Ugly Speakers 2.jpg

maty

Major Contributor
@Purité AudioThere is no special magic in speakers, which this comparison showed.

The only magic I have detected these years has been that produced by a good 5.25" coaxial speaker. And depending on the type of cone the tweeter offer more (metallic) or less detail (paper). Well, many years ago, but not only because of the speakers, layering or very different sound plans.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just giving you a bad time, Keith. Although i don't like their looks - and certainly could not afford them, I will admit that they appear to be world-class performers.

Then again, I don't think these $70,000 loudspeakers are eye-pleasers either...
View attachment 30147
Invasion of the Body Snatchers seed pod speakers. Surely you jest.

1564212178078.png

In fairness, I really enjoyed this How it is Made episode on those speakers. Both easier than I thought and pretty well thought out.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Invasion of the Body Snatchers seed pod speakers. Surely you jest.

View attachment 30161

In fairness, I really enjoyed this How it is Made episode on those speakers. Both easier than I thought and pretty well thought out.

..... and I thought these were street lights(San Francisco). :facepalm:

street-lighting.jpg

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the price point of these the point of diminishing returns should have been left behind long ago. Meaning that while I can accept that these could be extremely good I also find it unlikely that there will be a night and day difference compared to other good alternatives.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You've listened and compared them with every other design of speakers?

WOW! I am indeed impressed!

However, I don't understand the meaning of "advantage" in this context? Are you implying that they don't have an advantage outdoors?

----------------------------------

View attachment 30115
They appear to be designed to be placed in close proximity (l.t.18") to the rear wall, which will eliminate them in some rooms where the door is part of the back wall.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the price point of these the point of diminishing returns should have been left behind long ago. Meaning that while I can accept that these could be extremely good I also find it unlikely that there will be a night and day difference compared to other good alternatives.
Still doesn't mean they aren't the best of the best.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
1565726291529.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
^^^ I saw William Shatner on some very new TV commercial late last night.
Sadly, he's not looking too good. :(

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^^^ I saw William Shatner on some very new TV commercial late last night.
Sadly, he's not looking too good. :(
Yeah...but he's looking better than Bones, Scotty, and that pointy ears guy.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the positive reviews, and the forum inches this class of speaker have been generating over the last few years it would seem odd if a few of the bigger companies didn't add some. Not that logic and hifi are friends.
It's potentially a great engineering challenge /race, who can produce the cheapest, smallest and prettiest design that meets the flat on axis, flat but attenuated off axis spec.[/

Don't know how easy it would be to duplicate, but I'd bet if even a full range passive version could be offered for $5k or less, it would rapidly attain classic status.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom