• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Where does this stand? If there is a fund, can a link be aded to the first post @amirm?

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
Well, I know at least one person who won’t ever be purchasing anything from Tekton. I can’t imagine that this sort of saber rattling against a reviewer will do anything positive for them.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Out of curiosity, not being a lawyerin' type...

Doesn't this go both ways? In principle, could a reviewer sue a company that claimed the reviewer was incompetent or in error or engaging in impropriety, where that company's claims turn out to be unsupported?

Frankly I think it's bogus either way and I absolutely hate the hyper-litigious atmosphere in the USA. But..just wondering.

American tort laws are a ridiculous naked scheme of allowing the rich to bully the poor.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
American tort laws are a ridiculous naked scheme of allowing the rich to bully the poor.
Not so true. Because we don't have loser-pays and the barriers to awards of costs are quite high, the system is tilted toward plaintiffs including small-time plaintiffs. If the defendant has deep pockets, the plaintiffs will usually be able to get attorneys on a contingency. The goal of the attorney is to make the pre-trial expenses and hassle so large that the defendant pays go-away money.

Anecdote: I was expert witness in a patent infringement case brought by an independent inventor against one of Amir's former employers; the case was blatantly bullshit. Nonetheless, the big company paid the plaintiff and his attorney a high seven figure settlement because the case had already cost them over 2 million and they weren't anywhere near finished with depositions and discovery. It was nice for me, I got a fat sum for my work, never had to sit in the witness chair, nicer for the lawyers (plaintiff's lawyer got 40%).

The lack of loser-pays is a massive flaw in the US legal system, but it's a flaw that benefits lawyers immensely, so it will likely never be fixed.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw he posted somewhere stating that he needs to go ask Jay Lee, the YouTube reviewer who also review this speaker that Erin did, to get the NRC measurements. That implies that he does not have measurements of his own and that he does not have any others from other parties at hand.

What this idiot doesn't realize is that Jay Lee is a run of the mill YouTuber, he does not send any speakers he review to the NRC for measurement. Eric Alexander is confused because Jay Lee sometimes do a "second take" review for Soundstage, who does get NRC measurements. And these Tekton's, I don't believe are a "second take" review for Soundstage, hence there are not NRC measurements.

So what do we know here from this? Eric Alexander has never, ever measured his speakers!!!!!! Not even gated, nor outdoor quasi anechoic measurements!!!
@amirm this is what I was referencing to. Looks like he is claiming he has some measurement on hand and is looking to find other measurements as well. I personally don't buy it.
1000029467.png

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Some Patents:

doug s.

re: tekton, i heard double impacts when they 1st came out, at the capital audiofest a few years ago, and i thought they were excellent performers at their price point. i've always kept an eye open for used tekton models, especially their subwoofers. now, that eye is closed.

i can't speak for erin, but i know what i'd do, if i were in his position. 1st, i'd never take down the review. i'd stand by it, and also mention the issue w/the feet not being installed, and that, when i queried tekton about set-up before the review, they never said anything about the feet needing installation due to the holes that penetrate to the inside of the cabinet. i'd also say that i was going to re-do the measurements with such holes properly sealed, and report back. and, if tekton said they'd taken measurements and they differed, i'd ask to see them published, and ask for a description of how the measurements were performed.

doug s.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be a damn shame if someone poked in all the Tekton tweeters at Axpona.
I know you are joking, but that would be vandalizing as good as it may feel, (1) it's not worth getting arrested for (2) that is only a minor inconvenience, we need to cause a major inconvenience such as get regular audiophiles to see Eric Alexander's behavior and character so that no one buys his trash speakers

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm this is what I was referencing to. Looks like he is claiming he has some measurement on hand and is looking to find other measurements as well. I personally don't buy it.
I suspect he does have "some" measurements (gated, near-field, etc.). Question is whether those measurements actually support his claims. And at any rate, how accurate they could be to override anechoic measurements Erin and I have performed. The fact that he has not released them for some 6 months since I post my review, lends credence to his data not being good/sufficient to back his statements.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some Patents:

What do you make of it? I read one of them and it just made me laugh at how the whole patent system is broken.

frabor

This case sounds like Tesla vs Top Gear, were Tesla sued Top Gear and the BBC for reporting a miles per charge number that was not to Tesla like liking. They are not gonna get any friends by suing someone that reports measurements. There are plenty of products that measure bad, and are expensive and customers love them. It the whole point were the legs, or any other deviation from manufacturer best practice, you tell Erin and he retestnif he missed anything.

Other than the legal fund, I personally will not recommend tekton products to anyone. We all collective should stop speaking about their products or generating any traffic torwards the manufacturer.

As a small business owner I can tell you that this type of merritless lawsuit can be devastating. If all goes good,.they may cost you 10 per cent or more of your yearly net on legal fees. If bad, bankruptcy is the only way out.

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
This case sounds like Tesla vs Top Gear, were Tesla sued, or
Not really, there the show was treated like a comedy sketch show instead of the judgement saying they didn't fake the results: "The courts ruled in favour of the BBC, saying that no viewer of the show would be likely to reasonably compare the Roadster's performance on the show with its performance in the real world."

A bit like when they messed with the axle on a Reliant Robin to make it roll over all the time.

frabor

I was trying to state that a someone sued you since they did not like what you said regardless of the validity of the claim. And what Top Gear said was True, in a race environment, fuel consumption is high. F1 cosumes 100 liters for 300 km, approx, 34/ 100km, 6 mpg

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
such as get regular audiophiles to see Eric Alexander's behavior and character so that no one buys his trash speakers
I disagree completely with this. He needs to stay in business and measure his speakers.

He may have tinkered with some sort of measurement but it is not any conventional or is it conducted on most of his speakers.
I'm just not convinced all the different speakers with all the different drivers, and using a different crossover for every single one?

I think we would all be amazed how many different passive crossovers he didn't use and that they may be made in bulk. 3-5 XO
at the most, but I could be corrected with just a simple "we use 10 different types." I'd feel really good if every XO was designed
for every speaker type? I appreciate being able to modify an existing product to work, but I think one size fits all will be the actual
practice when it comes to the XOs he uses.

I'm not sure by any stretch of the imagination that his speakers can be measured in a way to help improve the design/measurements.
He may be stuck with "That sounds good." It's not like he's the first to do it or the last.

How about "buy my speaker if you like and don't if you have a problem with hundreds of great subjective reviews."
He can tell the truth and still sell a lot of speakers no matter what a reviewer says.

I really don't care for Wilson or the way they sound, so what!! The measure of "what's good" is a pretty open ended question.

Puff Puff pass dude! or maybe puff, puff, puff, puff, puff, I think I can. :) Take a page out of Elon's book. "Puff Power."

This is my opinion of course, and not meant to be reflective of this sites views or practice.

Regards

Top Bottom