• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I swapped Ls50 for an R3 meta ….im I imagining

meracus

Swapped the old ls50 for an r3 meta …. And I feel the hang in the space sound had shrunk
The holographic properties of the ls50 are no longer here ….. is this an illusion ??
Any thoughts on why this is observed ? Is it the case anyways … the r3 meta images worse then the ls50

ViperDom

Any difference in placement between the previous & current setup?
- Tweeter height?
- Distance away from front/side walls?
- Toe?

What amplifier are you using?

OP
M

meracus

Same position exactly
Devialet 200 / khozmo Hattor nc500
Somewhat lacking I feel … obviously uniq is now 10/15 cm higher … but I thought that didn’t affect its performance

OP
M

meracus

Bummer might need a new stand then !
However if I don’t slumber like I do listening to music … bringing the tweeter at ear height ( mind you … I’m not far off now )
It still doesn’t do the same thing
Gained bass on Sam / have less distorted sound at higher volume , but the phantom image I was getting with original 50 is somewhat not here ::: sound stays writhing the speaker baffle more
Is the shape of the 50 baffle responsible for better “ dispersion “ then the sharp edge r3
Are the plots clearly evident ? Sorry not really able to decipher test plots well

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Apply REW to measure the response of your room. Reflections and bass output are probably different, so with some data in hand, it should be possible to better understand if what you perceive is actually there or there´s effectively a serious change.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The LS50 is known for creating a holographic or 3 dimensional music space. Its main limitation is maximum output which can be improved a lot with subs, if you can get the subs integrated right, which isn't easy.

OP
M

meracus

Apply REW to measure the response of your room. Reflections and bass output are probably different, so with some data in hand, it should be possible to better understand if what you perceive is actually there or there´s effectively a serious change.
Is the ls50 radically different then the r3 meta in terms of results apart from bass extension and ability to play louder ? Let’s assume I listen at 75 db … is an r3 any different then a 50

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Is the ls50 radically different then the r3 meta in terms of results apart from bass extension and ability to play louder ? Let’s assume I listen at 75 db … is an r3 any different then a 50
The R3 has a lower frequency extension than the LS50 and it´s more linear in the output, but there should be more similarities than differences. In essence, the R3 should be doing a bit more than the LS50 and the same the LS50 does but better accomplished.

Amir and Erin have both measured the LS50 and the R3, so that is a good baseline comparison. However, they are not playing anechoically, they are doing so in your room, so interactions can be quite different even if it shouldn´t be night and day at least on paper.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Swapped the old ls50 for an r3 meta …. And I feel the hang in the space sound had shrunk
The holographic properties of the ls50 are no longer here ….. is this an illusion ??
Any thoughts on why this is observed ? Is it the case anyways … the r3 meta images worse then the ls50
The have slightly different frequency response and thats one reason they sound different .

Biggest reason is probably the andvantage for ls50 being a single source speaker - this will image better , no matter how other technical advantages might be with the r3 meta. Every crossover mess up the sound somewhat, even if its in the transition area.

OP
M

meracus

The image is certainly way inferior to me … it’s not really funny ! I thought it was a Better speaker ! Are you certain ?

Tangband

Major Contributor
The image is certainly way inferior to me … it’s not really funny ! I thought it was a Better speaker !
I would guess that a klippel test with one speaker would show advantages in lower distortion and higher spl from the r3 meta .

However, listening to two speakers in stereo will show the single source advantage in ls50 . A better stereo illusion, something a klippel system cant measure .

OP
M

meracus

The have slightly different frequency response and thats one reason they sound different .

Biggest reason is probably the andvantage for ls50 being a single source speaker - this will image better , no matter how other technical advantages might be with the r3 meta. Every crossover mess up the sound somewhat, even if its in the transition area.
Is that the consensus around here or a matter of personal opinion ?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Its my personal opinion - but Im not alone thinking that a single source loudspeaker images better in a stereo setup.
Andrew Jones agrees with that. And tests suggest that at least on technical specs, he has designed an incredibly competent speaker of that kind. Perhaps it also has to do with how much Amir liked the KEF LSX, even beyond their terrible original app.

OP
M

meracus

If the "hanging in space" imaging is gone, I'm not surprised.
Shame …. I thought maybe the height difference although minimal ( I would say 4 inches higher then the Ls in situ )
Lost the perceived layering too .. it’s good sound with the r3 but not as good in imaging …. Something I really value in gear
It’s now somewhat more mainstream sound .. as in without “effects “

ViperDom

I just realized that for the price of the R3 Meta you could put together a pretty sweet setup with LS50 Meta + Dual Subs

That would be my pick.
Maybe exchange the R3 and give it a shot.

OP
M

meracus

Sorely disappointed as tests suggested a superior product , yes you gain a bit more bass ( I use Sam anyways )
But my thought was , I get cleaner mids as a result … but the trade off is not worth it at all

Top Bottom