• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6800H now released.

KenMasters

Mine was delivered yesterday, annoyingly it doesn't seem to work properly with my PS5 - hoping an update resolves this. Will use a direct connection and eARC in the meantime.

@patoulol - I see you have a PS5, let me know if you have any such issue.

patoulol

Forum Donor
Mine was delivered yesterday, annoyingly it doesn't seem to work properly with my PS5 - hoping an update resolves this. Will use a direct connection and eARC in the meantime.

I have a PS5, what's the problem?

KenMasters

I have a PS5, what's the problem?

The PS5 only displays through the Denon for a minute or two, then the connection is lost and doesn't return. I've seen it happen with my Apple TV now as well, so maybe the HDMI board is defective?

EDIT: Apple TV is fine with the PS5 disconnected.

Last edited:
OP
M

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning

No, direct through the Denon, using output 1 for my Apple TV and Blu-ray player and output 2 for the PS5 (for dedicated Game Mode setting).

I find that even with a single HDMI the TV automatically switches to game mode for the PS5. (I guess because it is a different frame rate or maybe it is because of ALL).

I think I remember reading somewhere that having two HDMI links between the AVR and TV could cause loops and problems. (Though when I tried it a while ago it seemed to work ok).

With previous generation Denon AVRs there is a menu option to set the HDMI to 8K Enhanced mode. Not sure if it is still the same with the X6800 - but a good thing to check if you are having problems.

Also, when you make changes to HDMI wiring it isn't exactly plug-n-play. You sometimes need to power every device completely down, leave it unplugged for a while, and then power it up again. This way it forces all the hardware to redo it handshaking. (Sometimes the power up sequence can even be important). Could be worth a try in your case, if you haven't already.

Last edited:
OP
M

-Matt-

The PS5 only displays through the Denon for a minute or two, then the connection is lost and doesn't return. I've seen it happen with my Apple TV now as well, so maybe the HDMI board is defective?

In such cases it can also sometimes help to force recovery by switching to another HDMI input on the TV, then back to the one you need.

Another alternative is to switch the AVR to another input source and then back.

...but perhaps you already tried all that.

Last edited:

EWL5

So circa 140W@8ohm goes to circa 200W@4ohm a rise of only 43% as the impedance halves...

This is NOT a high current design... and some caution is probably advised when driving difficult speakers...

The "ideal" is for the power to double as impedance halves - but real world high current amps that do a good job with low impedance speakers tend to rise around about 75%, and the struggle to then go to 2ohm usually limits that to around 50% rise from 4 ohm (eg: Crown XLS2500 - 440W@8ohm, 700W@4ohm, 1200@2ohm).

The Marantz AMP10 or Denon A1h are in a different category... - the 6800 seems more of a slightly boosted 4800 (with wides!)
It's worse than that! You're comparing 140W @ 8 ohm w/0.05% THD against 200W @ 4 ohm w/1% THD (not apples to apples)!

Very disappointing...

KenMasters

I find that even with a single HDMI the TV automatically switches to game mode for the PS5. (I guess because it is a different frame rate or maybe it is because of ALL).

Yes, it'll go into ALLM but not switch to game mode, it's within the current preset - which I believe adds a small amount of delay over the dedicated Game Mode.

I think I remember reading somewhere that having two HDMI links between the AVR and TV could cause loops and problems. (Though when I tried it a while ago it seemed to work ok).

It's how I did it with my previous Denon and it worked perfectly.

With previous generation Denon AVRs there is a menu option to set the HDMI to 8K Enhanced mode. Not sure if it is still the same with the X6800 - but a good thing to check if you are having problems.

It is there and it is set to 8K Enhanced.

Also, when you make changes to HDMI wiring it isn't exactly plug-n-play. You sometimes need to power every device completely down, leave it unplugged for a while, and then power it up again. This way it forces all the hardware to redo it handshaking. (Sometimes the power up sequence can even be important). Could be worth a try in your case, if you haven't already.

I've tried every which way, there's just something off about it. Simply having the PS5 connected to the AVC is causing issues with other devices (as noted with the Apple TV). Since moving the PS5 to the TV and using eARC instead it's worked flawlessly.

Something about either the TV, PS4 or combo of the two is not playing nicely with the Denon. I'm waiting on a G3 to replace my C9, so we'll see if that changes things. I appreciate the trouble shooting!

theBruce

With all this talk about PS5, I have a 4800 hooked up in my Game Area, both a PS5 and a XBOX X, direct to the Denon, out to the TV, not using eArc or CEC , I never have a issue.

OP
M

-Matt-

Yes, it'll go into ALLM but not switch to game mode, it's within the current preset - which I believe adds a small amount of delay over the dedicated Game Mode.
There may also be a setting on the TV that you need. On my LG there is:

Settings > All Settings > Picture > Additional Settings > Instant Game Response

...which needs to be turned on for each hdmi input individually.

I think you also have to turn on HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour first (also in the additional picture setting menu).

OP
M

-Matt-

It could also be one of your source devices behaving badly with HDMI CEC. You could try disabling CEC and/or disconnecting all source devices except the one you are using. If this solves the problem, you can start adding sources back one by one until you find the one that's causing the problem.

Sneaky LG had turned its Simplink (HDMI-CEC) on. Fingers crossed disabling that might stop the occasional dropouts I've been having.

(It gets enabled automatically when you set sound to ARC, but isn't needed for that, and can be disabled after).

EDIT: Unfortunately that wasn't a solution - had another dropout whilst Simplink was disabled. :(

Last edited:

KenMasters

There may also be a setting on the TV that you need. On my LG there is:

Settings > All Settings > Picture > Additional Settings > Instant Game Response

...which needs to be turned on for each hdmi input individually.

I think you also have to turn on HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour first (also in the additional picture setting menu).

I'm aware of the setting, but it still sits on top of the current picture mode, which is not quite as responsive as the dedicated Game Mode.

I've connected the PS5 directly to the TV with the audio delivered via eARC and everything is working perfectly now. Definitely something off about the combination - I think might be the C9 at fault, given its the first TV to feature HDMI 2.1, achieved (if I remember correctly) by grafting a 2.1 chipset onto their existing HDMI 2.0 board.

patoulol

Forum Donor
IMG_4390.jpeg
IMG_4391.jpeg

KenMasters

Apologies Matt, you are right. On my C9 it does switch to Game Mode. I hope the same is true of the G3 (the reading up on which lead to my obstinance).

And right again, this was the problem (maybe an HDCP 2.3 thing?). Using a single cable all is good, thank you.

Tanquen

Happy to hear of your positive experience. How long are your HDMI cables?

@Tanquen Your cables seemed to be very long. What are the shortest ones you were able to test with?

@aligalahan Thanks for giving us an additional datapoint. Can you try with a shorter HDMI? i.e A temporary setup with a 3ft certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cable?

I'm a bit sceptical of the fibre optic ones but have fingers crossed for you.
The shorter one was 16'. I was able to fix all the issues by putting the X6500H back and returning the X6800H.

DTSman

Hi,
Also received the AVR X6800 in order to replace a X6700 in 9.2.4 setup.
Quick test with PS5 was ok.
Denon info input/output display 4K60 HDR10 BT2020 RGB 12bits 32Gbps.

Attachments

• x6800-x6700.jpg
    x6800-x6700.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Top Bottom