• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Road Trip Required

Platypus20

Forum Donor
I live in the Syracuse, NY area, a cultural waste land, in regards to auditioning any stereo equipment, the last true stereo store closed about 10 yrs ago. I had to make appointments in the Rochester/ Buffalo area, to listen, to both KEF and Revel speakers. Going to Rochester on Wednesday to see a couple of shops, staying at my cousins and then a couple of more shops in Buffalo on Thursday. A major trip just listen to speakers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A good reason to buy "keepers", be it speakers or other gear.

I think the last time I was in a store was in the late 90's.

MKR

Major Contributor
I live in the Syracuse, NY area, a cultural waste land, in regards to auditioning any stereo equipment, the last true stereo store closed about 10 yrs ago. I had to make appointments in the Rochester/ Buffalo area, to listen, to both KEF and Revel speakers. Going to Rochester on Wednesday to see a couple of shops, staying at my cousins and then a couple of more shops in Buffalo on Thursday. A major trip just listen to speakers.
Have a great time, the quest is half the fun! :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd think most places have seen most stereo shops close. I've taken such trips in the past with friends or done them when traveling elsewhere for other reasons and had the time. Usually fun to do. Let us know how it goes and what you think afterwards.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great excuse to get out of town. Sounds like a fun couple of days.

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
The only place locally is Best Buy, which has 1 almost high end room and 1 super end room, but the first is mainly speakers I could buy from Amazon, or the other has extreme are top of the line B&W speakers and McIntosh. Most HT based, no real 2 channel stereo equipment. B&W are big, expensive and to me, extremely ugly. The guy runs the area, only wants to play Hotel California, I song I extremely hate. I was ready to buy a set of KEF R3 Metas, I told the store manager in front of the kid, if he played that song, I walking out. They had the speakers on the loading dock, he played the song, I left, bought the speaker through Amazon. So I’m not going back there, beside they don’t carry the models I’m looking for.

Last edited:

GD Fan

Forum Donor
The only place locally is Best Buy, which has 1 almost high end room and I super end room, but the first is mainly speakers I could buy from Amazon, or the other has extreme are top of the line B&W speakers and McIntosh. Most HT based, no real 2 channel stereo equipment. B&W are big, expensive and to me, extremely ugly. The guy runs the area, only wants to play Hotel California, I song I extremely hate. I was ready to buy a set of KEF R3 Metas, I told the store manager in front of the kid, if he played that song, I walking out. The had the speakers on the loading dock, he played the song, I left, bought the speaker through Amazon. So I’m not going back there, beside they don’t carry the models I’m looking for.
Sounds like getting kicked out of a cab in Malibu for hating the Eagles!

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
I felt privileged to live near a couple World Wide Stereo locations, but they recently shuttered the closer one to my home, more than doubling the distance to their nearest store. I am in a large city in the American Northeast, so can't really complain (I am probably a 2-3 hour drive/train ride from dozens of dealers), but the trend is still disheartening. Happy hunting!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Rochester is a nice town- depressed, high crime, but nice waterfronts, great public market, and a superb music scene (the Eastman School is part and parcel of that).

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
a superb music scene (the Eastman School is part and parcel of that).

Probably in part why they still have a few stereo stores

2 of my friends are Eastman grads

Last edited:

RobL

Was considering going to Rochester to watch the eclipse in April. I’m a little leery though after the apocalyptic traffic we got caught in in Kentucky at the 2017 eclipse. o_O

Good luck with your auditions!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have never visited a hi fi store nor ever seen one. I guess they exist, but only based on the comments of people around here. Take pics of what you see there, just out of pure curiosity.

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Speaker road trip was a semi bust, listened to the two speakers I wanted to, the Revel f226e and the KEF R11 Metas, I liked the speakers, especially the KEF. The dealers were less than stellar, one wanted to play their music, not what I brought, one the sales guy would not shut up, he kept the sales spiel, non-stop, after numerous attempts to shush him, then got annoyed when I told him to shut up, one place spent more time trying sell me a tube amp, than the speaker, and similar scenes in the others, I gave up. Came home sent an email to the manufacturer of my existing speakers about a refurbish. Amazon does have the KEFs

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Speaker road trip was a semi bust, listened to the two speakers I wanted to, the Revel f226e and the KEF R11 Metas, I liked the speakers, especially the KEF. The dealers were less than stellar, one wanted to play their music, not what I brought, one the sales guy would not shut up, he kept the sales spiel, non-stop, after numerous attempts to shush him, then got annoyed when I told him to shut up, one place spent more time trying sell me a tube amp, than the speaker, and similar scenes in the others, I gave up. Came home sent an email to the manufacturer of my existing speakers about a refurbish. Amazon does have the KEFs

That's disappointing, but sadly, not unexpected these days.

Ironic that the salesman selling loudspeakers wasn't 'listening' to his potential customer, one that had made a long trip to his store.

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Was not a total loss, I did get to hear the speakers, had to listen to the “cable upgrades” spiels and other stuff. I liked the Revels, but maybe because I have the KEF R3 Metas in one system, I was drawn by the KEF sound, for me the R11 Metas sounded a little better. I could probably live with either, neither were noticeably worse than the other. Now I’m waiting on a couple of emails about revamping the Acarion Alon IVs, I’ve had them for 25+ years, they cosmetically perfect, maybe driver/electronic clean up and keep them running. We shall see

Ordin Aryguy

The record store across from the science museum finally closed for good? Shame. Now the only reason to go downtown is Dinosaur.

Benchmark, of Benchmark AHB2 amplifier fame here at ASR, is located in Syracuse. It might be worthwhile contacting them to see if they are aware of a place where higher end speakers and gear might be able to be auditioned.

The same goes for McIntosh down in Binghamton.

feitaishi

I used to go to school in Syracuse. exactly a waste land. I'm afraid NYC is your only option. Rochester won't help too much!

Top Bottom