• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me, and my budget I'd say Genelec 8340.

Was looking at Neumann KH150, but having heard a pair of those and the Genelec's yesterday, the Genelec sounds just a bit more clear in the highs. DSP, amplification, and a speaker itself for £2000 a pair, absolutely great deal. The Neumann's were also pretty darn amazing, more low end clarity, but I'll be using subwoofers so.... Also I deliberately listened about roughly 3 meters away, Genelec's had more high frequency energy it seemed and greater detail. However if I was using as intended in the near field, the Neumann's sounded a bit better in that scenario. As an aside this was in a shop, no GLM or MA1 enabled and literally a quick 5 minute comparison.

If my budget could stretch, likely my choice may be different, but I tend to focus on only the achievable. I could have listened to the 'ones' as well, but very likely I couldn't stretch that far, so decided against, you don't miss what you haven't experienced and all that. Both speakers for the money are absolutely epic, it's almost incredible to think they can be had for that outlay, equivalent Hi-Fi type stuff would require a far greater lightening of the bank account and possibly selling a couple of organs on the dark web.

Really can't go wrong with a decent powered monitor in my mind.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Of the speakers on your list, I think I’ve only heard Clarisys. My dealer sells them and I like listening to them in their big room. I find them bright sounding, but with a very pleasant and impressive wall of sound effect.

Given your stated intent of a dual purpose system, I would consider the availability of center, surround, and overhead speakers within the context of an overhead system.

I went with KEF Reference for our speakers for a dual use living room system. For multichannel home use, KEF is my preference.

I think other good options include Perlisten and Revel. If I had a dedicated room, I’d probably go with studio monitors all around with EQ to my preference. I have Neumann and like them. Genelec are great too.

Of the speakers on your list, I’d take the Dutch and Dutch without hesitation if you have the ability to use one for the center and have a plan for the surrounds and overheads.
I never found them to be tipped up, in fact seemed to be quite flat FR best these old ears can tell (would love to see measurements of the Clarysis to confirm, but I can’t find any sadly). But for certain they do have a massive soundstage, one of the strengths of a large dipole planar design.

You do raise a good point on the issue of dual purpose music/HT and some speakers on the list not having available dedicated center or surrounds. But I see no reason why they have to be exact same type of speaker or brand. As long as they are well designed for the purpose not an issue for me. But, I still may have a separate music/HT system, TBD. For now the priority is music (or more specifically, 2.x), and we go from there. If I can have my cake and eat it, all the better, but maybe not possible.

I have heard multiple KEF designs (though not the Blades), and while very good, I dropped them from the list for multiple reasons. I would still like to hear the Blades though at some point (strangely very difficult to find dealer to audition, plus KEF seems never to be at any of the shows for some reason). And already dropped Perlisten and Revel (Salon 2 at top of my list for long time, but in the end decided I did not want to drop that kind f cash on a discontinued speaker … but one of my all time favorite speakers, no doubt about it). For more history of what I have already auditioned and dropped from contention (and there have been MANY), please see my old thread. This includes Genelec, sorry @Pearljam5000. And never heard the Neumann, but of course they are superb per the measurements and reviews. But if I am going active, it will be other choices.

Finally, the upcoming Dutch & Dutch will be incredible based upon what I know, I will not be making a final decision until I hear these. And yup, should also work very well for multichannel.

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• IMG_0340.png
    IMG_0340.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 34
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
£75k the Pure Project speakers but they do come and set everything up.
No provision for analogue EQ though ( at least not through the system as sold) which imho seems a little short sighted, considering that the majority demographic for £75k speakers is likely to be older customers.
Keith
Well forget that then, way over my budget. All that money going into those crazy expensive (and unnecessary) Purifi drivers.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Yeah, not sure what’s up but get this.

Tried opening new page etc.
Hmmm, no idea what is happening here. Sorry. I am just doing a “copy” link of the playlist in Qobuz. Any Qobuz experts know what may be the issue?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
For me, and my budget I'd say Genelec 8340.

Was looking at Neumann KH150, but having heard a pair of those and the Genelec's yesterday, the Genelec sounds just a bit more clear in the highs. DSP, amplification, and a speaker itself for £2000 a pair, absolutely great deal. The Neumann's were also pretty darn amazing, more low end clarity, but I'll be using subwoofers so.... Also I deliberately listened about roughly 3 meters away, Genelec's had more high frequency energy it seemed and greater detail. However if I was using as intended in the near field, the Neumann's sounded a bit better in that scenario. As an aside this was in a shop, no GLM or MA1 enabled and literally a quick 5 minute comparison.

If my budget could stretch, likely my choice may be different, but I tend to focus on only the achievable. I could have listened to the 'ones' as well, but very likely I couldn't stretch that far, so decided against, you don't miss what you haven't experienced and all that. Both speakers for the money are absolutely epic, it's almost incredible to think they can be had for that outlay, equivalent Hi-Fi type stuff would require a far greater lightening of the bank account and possibly selling a couple of organs on the dark web.

Really can't go wrong with a decent powered monitor in my mind.
I can’t disagree with a single word you stated here :)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
If your room is still being designed have you considered getting an acoustician in now to help with that? It may be as important as the choice of speakers…
Nope, my money better spent on speakers that adapt to the room ;)

uwotm8

That's an esay one - MBL 101 X-treme (but I'd be totally okay with 116F).
Ging back to earth, well, then maybe a pair of MartinLogan statics, current version of, say, Vista.
No traditional "box of woofers" for sure, no matter how good it is except maybe D&Ds as a second system, proper active monitor concept.

steve59

Major Contributor
MKR, glad to see you reopen this thread. If I remember correctly you're looking for new speakers so not opening yourself to slightly used 'boutique' models. What makes this thread fun is we can all live vicariously thru you and your 2 sons as you search out your favorite. Your list shows more than a skim of popular reviews as a couple of those brands, 1 for sure didn't even show up on google! Your qobuz link just brought me to their home page? odd

Reactions: MKR

tw 2022

"end game" is really subjective, i'd suggest to lower expectations a bit and enjoy the music...best of luck on the journey...:)

Anton D

"end game" is really subjective, i'd suggest to lower expectations a bit and enjoy the music...best of luck on the journey...:)
Great post. End Game is only end game until it isn't. We are humans, we will get the new stuff figured out and then long for the next experience. If you go planar, you will eventually crave dynamic drivers. Dynamic speakers will make you want to explore horns, etc.

I am enjoying the idea of your search, but also looking forward to your next one!

Cheers!

tw 2022

Great post. End Game is only end game until it isn't. We are humans, we will get the new stuff figured out and then long for the next experience. If you go planar, you will eventually crave dynamic drivers. Dynamic speakers will make you want to explore horns, etc.

I am enjoying the idea of your search, but also looking forward to your next one!

Cheers!
thanks , that's my new "discovery" .. i've been researching social science( the science of happiness)...happiness is mostly defined by "satisfaction"... the problem is satisfaction fades into nothingness after a time (every time) , thus the never ending quest to upgrade and chase "the best"...lowering expectations has a hugely more positive effect emotionally than the next new toy....my theory in audio: get what makes you happy once ( that you can afford ) and enjoy your efforts and time .....these days even well executed entry level stuff can be very satisfying...

Top Bottom