• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else miss Winamp?

Svperstar

I also still use Winamp just for Milkdrop. Music visualizers never improved from there; new ones are usually overpriced and/or locked down, lacking in presets, or totally unsupported. Everything else Winamp did has been done better since by foobar2000 and MusicBee, but I still think it has a particular aesthetic appeal, as you see in the skin museum and modern references to it like Tunebox in Hypnospace Outlaw.

IMO KataFX and KataFX 2.0 were the gold standard of visualizers but the author got sick of his visualizers being used at huge raves all over the world and not getting a penny so he pulled them offline. Maybe a bit immature of a reaction but hey, it was his hard work.

Svperstar

If anyone is still using an iPod I forgot one of the selling points of MusicBee was it had full iPod compatibility with the right plugin. I haven't touched an iPod since I retired my iPod Nano 8 gig years ago. Man those things were a pain in the ass to use. Apple fought tooth and nail to make sure they only work with iTunes. I am so glad I switched to an mp3 player that just takes sdcards and you load up music in Windows Explorer. Done.

henologist

IMO KataFX and KataFX 2.0 were the gold standard of visualizers but the author got sick of his visualizers being used at huge raves all over the world and not getting a penny so he pulled them offline. Maybe a bit immature of a reaction but hey, it was his hard work.
I'd never heard of those until you mentioned them, from a cursory glance it seems he did a good job of pulling them off the internet in general, there's not even any footage on youtube. I'll have to do some digging and see if they've been mirrored anywhere.

Svperstar

I'd never heard of those until you mentioned them, from a cursory glance it seems he did a good job of pulling them off the internet in general, there's not even any footage on youtube. I'll have to do some digging and see if they've been mirrored anywhere.

I'm about to walk out the door but around 2015 I went through all of my backups of pre-2015 stuff and deleted everything not important.

Kept a copy of the first website I made in 1997 but deleted random game screenshots and things, I used to have the .dll for KataFX and 2.0 backed up somewhere I will have to double check when I get home later.

You literally only need a single .dll so I would search for KataFX dll if I were you

jae

Major Contributor
I switched from Winamp to Foobar back in the mid 2000s like a lot of audiophiles. I haven't used Foobar in years so I don't know if they fixed the bug but in the Windows XP days I would shut down Foobar, turn it back on and BAM all my settings would be gone. It was so annoying. There was no rhyme or reason, sometimes after a couple days, sometimes after a couple months.

Setting up Foobar the way you like it was a big pain in the ass in those days, so after the 10th time of getting home, and turning on my PC and having all of my settings wiped I quit Foobar.

Got sick of it so I floated around. Ended up finding MusicBee. MusicBee works perfectly out of the box and I lucked out that the author and I have similar tastes so the default MusicBee experience is very similar to how I had my Foobar setup. I just pick one of the dark skins and I am good to go. Also supports internet radio and podcasts.

Not too sure if that's still a thing but MusicBee is a good alternative too. Never had that problem with foobar although I imagine hearing about it before. What I've been doing with foobar is simply only using portable mode/a portable install for the last number of years. What that does is contain all the foobar files and settings in a single folder as opposed to having files, settings, user-specific settings scattered about 2-3 folders in the operating system. That makes it trivial to bring everything to another computer and also very trivial to back everything up (just zip the folder and back it up elsewhere or cloud storage, or you can simply just have the folder on cloud storage and everything syncs as soon as you change settings. You can also back up/restore profiles directly in the software as well.

ribonucleic

I also still use Winamp just for Milkdrop.

You can run Milkdrop in foobar. Behold!

2023-04-17_174104.png

Like every other aspect of customizing foobar, it takes some effort. But well worth it in this case.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I used it some long ago.

Haven't thought about it for years.

Do I miss it? I guess not.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I still use it. Winamp is alive and kicking.

henologist

You can run Milkdrop in foobar. Behold!

Like every other aspect of customizing foobar, it takes some effort. But well worth it in this case.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to reinstall foobar and give this a shot. The other Milkdrop implementations I've messed with handle the basic functions, but the extended features (like a separate window for editing presets and VJing) never worked as consistently as they did in Winamp. If this can do all that with all the extra stuff foobar supports, then it could be a great VJ tool.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use a media player under linux that looks like Winamp for the exact same reason. I just got used to it. When other media players came out which were full screen and filled with bloat and pointless graphics I just didn't get it.

mixsit

Forum Donor
I think this was the first media player I used, before Windows Media Player was even a thing. It was great, very intuitive. The playlist was right there in front of you, along with all the controls you needed, and an easy access EQ to boot. Well organised and nothing buried inside layers of menus.

Am I just being nostalgic or have things been downhill ever since?
Liked the Spatializer' thingy it had for a while. Wanted to have it around for fun and interest but it went away..

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if I should worry these days if my WinAmp-replacement AIMP5 has been thru the Russian-dryer like Telegram has.:eek:

202306_AIMP51Skin.png

This is the current AIMP5 skin I am running in the background (Technics SL1200 w/functioning tonearm and platter... including the strobes).

Anthony LoFi

For Mac users Foobar is a no go so Winamp now available for Mac OS is a welcome replacement for itunes/music which can be problematic with files not in mp3 format.
Winamp for Mac still has minor problems and probably has not been ported to allow for ID3 tag editing.
As this is free software, we are relying on the Winamp community of volunteers to rectify bugs and will probably be solved in the near future.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For Mac users Foobar is a no go so Winamp now available for Mac OS is a welcome replacement for itunes/music which can be problematic with files not in mp3 format.
Winamp for Mac still has minor problems and probably has not been ported to allow for ID3 tag editing.
As this is free software, we are relying on the Winamp community of volunteers to rectify bugs and will probably be solved in the near future.
I have to disagree. Foobar2000 for MacOS is very functional and even has a built in PEQ. Maybe you need to try the latest version.

Top Bottom