• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone else miss Winamp?

Digby

Major Contributor
I think this was the first media player I used, before Windows Media Player was even a thing. It was great, very intuitive. The playlist was right there in front of you, along with all the controls you needed, and an easy access EQ to boot. Well organised and nothing buried inside layers of menus.

Am I just being nostalgic or have things been downhill ever since?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It was cool. Just worked and had virtually no impact on the systems of the day.

Screen_Shot_2020_09_10_at_12.59.59_PM.png

They even have a skins museum!

AudiOhm

Winamp...WOW bringing back memories of all the mp3's I downloaded from Napster...

Ohms

Kulagin

I think this was the first media player I used, before Windows Media Player was even a thing. It was great, very intuitive. The playlist was right there in front of you, along with all the controls you needed, and an easy access EQ to boot. Well organised and nothing buried inside layers of menus.

What are you using nowadays? I'm still using Winamp to play local audio files.

jae

Major Contributor
Old winamp was great. Foobar has been the de facto standard on windows for quite some time. A bit of a chore to fully customize it, although rewarding.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I still use it, with the SqrSoft "smart" crossfader. (I don't actually "fade"... I set it for an overlap when the 1st file drops to -18dB)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The good old days when your choice of audio player meant something and UI design was left to anyone with a pirated copy of photoshop. Nary a llama's ass been whipped in many a year.
Which may be for the best. The neighbors had some, they have a vicious kick.

henologist

I also still use Winamp just for Milkdrop. Music visualizers never improved from there; new ones are usually overpriced and/or locked down, lacking in presets, or totally unsupported. Everything else Winamp did has been done better since by foobar2000 and MusicBee, but I still think it has a particular aesthetic appeal, as you see in the skin museum and modern references to it like Tunebox in Hypnospace Outlaw.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Can one make foobar look like winamp - essentially current track, then EQ, then playlist?

F1308

Major Contributor
The guy who made Winamp sold it. Now he is the guy who makes the Reaper DAW.
I just saw this post.

Is it true ?

I am still using Winamp, controlled from Android via Ampwifi, and after testing some DAWs for months I finally went with REAPER.

I think both are truly astounding.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I just bumped into this thread and I can be similarly accused!
Who am I to tell you to get with the program but no need to throw out the baby with the bath water!:oops:
Have you tried the Ruskie AIMP, FREEware media-player (which is actively updated)?
202303_AIMP5.png

You can get as nostalgic as you want... once you learn to navigate the 'skins'.:)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Svperstar

Old winamp was great. Foobar has been the de facto standard on windows for quite some time. A bit of a chore to fully customize it, although rewarding.

I switched from Winamp to Foobar back in the mid 2000s like a lot of audiophiles. I haven't used Foobar in years so I don't know if they fixed the bug but in the Windows XP days I would shut down Foobar, turn it back on and BAM all my settings would be gone. It was so annoying. There was no rhyme or reason, sometimes after a couple days, sometimes after a couple months.

Setting up Foobar the way you like it was a big pain in the ass in those days, so after the 10th time of getting home, and turning on my PC and having all of my settings wiped I quit Foobar.

Got sick of it so I floated around. Ended up finding MusicBee. MusicBee works perfectly out of the box and I lucked out that the author and I have similar tastes so the default MusicBee experience is very similar to how I had my Foobar setup. I just pick one of the dark skins and I am good to go. Also supports internet radio and podcasts.

Top Bottom