• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LSX II

Mal

They basically fixed the useless connectivity and unreliable app of the LSX version 1 and charge 20% more for the same product now working properly.
Have you tried connecting it or using the apps? I have, since October. I find the connectivity fine, and the apps reliable, for my needs. The apps have gone through several generations in the last three years so I assumed most of the problems would have been fixed, and the forums would have all the necessary tricks needs to get through any tricky setups - in practice, this worked out very well for me. I'd be more worried about the LSX II app! Any teething troubles? (If so, have hope... they obviously did a lot to fix the LSX I apps...)

Mal

What would you need the app for in a desktop scenario with, say, toslink in?
(Honest question, ive never used any kef nor any other active speaker app)
I use "toslink in" without any problems at all on a KEF LSX 1. Although I did play with the apps before setting up, I don't think you'd need the apps to get going. Just plug the cable in and use the remote to select "toslink in". In a similar way, you can select "aux in", "bluetooth", "Spotify Connect" (via ethernet or wireless...)... KEF LSX II has more options I believe!

If you use Tidal then you need to go through the app to select tracks with KEF LSX I, and the interface is very rudimentary and a pain to use. There is no other "Connect" service available (e.g., no Amazon Music Connect.) So you better be happy with Spotify Connect... or be happy with going in via perhaps less optimal routes (like, say using the Tidal android app and going in through toslink...) Otherwise, check LSX II, it may support Tidal Connect, etc.

If you want to use some DSP then you need to use the app. But science types might be disappointed :) It just asks you for the size of your room, where the speakers are situated, if your room is active or not. Takes about ten seconds - no REW, Linux hacking, or microphones involved! In practice, I found this was enough for me, it changed the "quite good" sound of the speakers to "very good" (took off some edginess in the treble... fixed my active room!...)

In summary, I'm happy with these speakers, they are my main music & TV speakers.

Reactions: MCH

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
No issues here, I continue to be impressed with the LSX the ‘connect’ app and the entire KEF wireless range, although their ease of use means there can be ‘who chooses the music’ fights.
Keith

Marijnvp

I’d recommend getting the lsx i and add a streamer to it. Like the Wiim Pro. Saves you a lot of money and you’ll gain in flexibility. You could even get a Bluesounde Node and pair it with lsx i.

However, the 1st gen had a lot of problems an motherboard failures. I really hope 2nd gen lsx and ls50w have improved reliability. I really love the esthetics of the lsx and pairing it with a good sub would make it even plausible for bigger rooms. You can build a really nice and non intrusive wireless 2.1 lsx set.

Mal

I’d recommend getting the lsx i and add a streamer to it. Like the Wiim Pro. Saves you a lot of money and you’ll gain in flexibility. You could even get a Bluesounde Node and pair it with lsx i.

However, the 1st gen had a lot of problems an motherboard failures. I really hope 2nd gen lsx and ls50w have improved reliability. I really love the esthetics of the lsx and pairing it with a good sub would make it even plausible for bigger rooms. You can build a really nice and non intrusive wireless 2.1 lsx set.
I went the "save money" route. If your needs are simple, you may not even need a streamer. (I find LSX i to be very good with Spotify Connect and TV optical in...)

You have me worried with the "motherboard failure" comment! (Biggest problem I had with the KEFs was registering on site - couldn't get the form working at all. They didn't get back to my email. I shall now go and get that sorted!)

Marijnvp

I went the "save money" route. If your needs are simple, you may not even need a streamer. (I find LSX i to be very good with Spotify Connect and TV optical in...)

You have me worried with the "motherboard failure" comment! (Biggest problem I had with the KEFs was registering on site - couldn't get the form working at all. They didn't get back to my email. I shall now go and get that sorted!)
Exactly this! And if, in the future, you’d want to add multiroom, chromecast and hdmi, just get a streamer to pair with it.

About the failure’s; I don’t have hard proof. But there is A LOT of complains on the internet about ls50w i and lsx i. Also about failing connections. Hence the streamer advice :)

Anyway: back on-topic: I must say the lsx ii in my eyes has the most compelling all-in-one package. Design, connectivity and excellent sound performance. Perfect if you’d like do declutter your hifi.

Mal

Kefs "electronics" warranty is only for two years - some passive speaker retailers guarantee them for 7 years! Has anyone had the electronics fail after two years in kef lsx i? If so, what did you do? Are kef good with repairs?

Marijnvp

Kefs "electronics" warranty is only for two years - some passive speaker retailers guarantee them for 7 years! Has anyone had the electronics fail after two years in kef lsx i? If so, what did you do? Are kef good with repairs?
No, Kef has not the best reputation for customer service afaik. People got €250 bills to repair their motherboard. Just google it, you’ll find plenty.

I don’t think you should worry to much though. You might as wel never have serious issues. And IF network issues occur, hook up a reliable streamer.

Mal

Exactly this! And if, in the future, you’d want to add multiroom, chromecast and hdmi, just get a streamer to pair with it.

About the failure’s; I don’t have hard proof. But there is A LOT of complains on the internet about ls50w i and lsx i. Also about failing connections. Hence the streamer advice :)

Anyway: back on-topic: I must say the lsx ii in my eyes has the most compelling all-in-one package. Design, connectivity and excellent sound performance. Perfect if you’d like do declutter your hifi.
I don't want multiroom, have no pressing need for chromecast, or for adding hdmi functionality.

Spotify Connect & an optical feed from my Amazon Firestick have been rock solid for three months. I

I did have problems with Tidal and Amazon Music - and if I feel the need for high res than Spotify, which I don't, at the moment, I'd get a streamer. (Then again, lsx ii might have fixed the streaming problems - so if it's two years down the line I might just upgrade to ii!)

piotr_sc

Hello gentlemen, I have a question, if I connect the iPhone or iPad Pro with usbc, via USB-C cable to Kef LSX II, will I get lossless sound in Apple Music, Hi-Res Lossless 192 kHz?

Last edited:

Harryharryharry

I was planning on using a minidsp flex digital as input to Kef LSX plus two subs.

However I just realised subs don't often come with digital input so not sure how to make this work.

The lsx does have a 3.5mm aux input, would an RCA to aux adapter work here?

It would mean an extra ADC conversion but that probably won't make any difference.

Any suggestions on this?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was planning on using a minidsp flex digital as input to Kef LSX plus two subs.

However I just realised subs don't often come with digital input so not sure how to make this work.

The lsx does have a 3.5mm aux input, would an RCA to aux adapter work here?

It would mean an extra ADC conversion but that probably won't make any difference.

Any suggestions on this?

The math is not mathing.

1) you need an aux output, not an input.

2) even if there was an aux output, you want to the output designated for the subwoofers from the MiniDSP connected to the subwoofers, not the highpassed speaker output.

Does the KEF LSX II not have a subwoofer output? it might be capable of bass mangement on its own.

Harryharryharry

The math is not mathing.

1) you need an aux output, not an input.

2) even if there was an aux output, you want to the output designated for the subwoofers from the MiniDSP connected to the subwoofers, not the highpassed speaker output.

Does the KEF LSX II not have a subwoofer output? it might be capable of bass mangement on its own.
The reason for using the flex was for Dirac and dual sub integration.

So I was thinking:
flex analogue 1&2 -> 3.5mm input to LSX
Flex analogue 3&4 -> two subs

Does that make sense? It's not ideal but easier than using the flex digital I think?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason for using the flex was for Dirac and dual sub integration.

So I was thinking:
flex analogue 1&2 -> 3.5mm input to LSX
Flex analogue 3&4 -> two subs

Does that make sense? It's not ideal but easier than using the flex digital I think?

yeah that should work.

stren

Forum Donor
Hey All - got my LSX II the other day, sounded clear but bass weak as expected. I got out my UMIK and ran some sweeps but this just looks plain wrong:

1689729773420.png

It should not be cutting off at 300 Hz. Playing test tones with the REW generator I can hear that 200Hz is way down from 400Hz. Any ideas? I'm using the USB input, and even turned on the extra bass in the dsp setting of the app. Sub is turned off in the app. Both speakers are mounted on a desk, and the mic was about 60cm from them. Firmware is latest.

stren

Forum Donor
FWIW and also because I hate when problems are left unaddressed on the internet - I tried all manner of things, resetting, different usb settings etc. The thing that fixed it was plugging it into another laptop and then back into the original computer. Now I have a normal looking response.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New cheaper version called LT with different colours and main difference that the secondary loudspeaker is connected to the primary by cable and not wirelessly.

pdt-lsx2-lt-stn-pks21_1024x1024.png

stren

Forum Donor
Nice - wish these were out earlier I would have saved money. I will always choose a wire over wireless given a choice ;)

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apparently the LT version uses a USB C cable to connect the secondary speaker to the primary one and this connection also carries power.
Looks like a much better deal than the normal LSX

Top Bottom