• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do streaming audio players seem to be useless and overpriced bling to me?

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I rate EQ ing the room important enough to want to do it properly. Basic EQ is fine but why not quickly measure the room with a cheap UMIK-1. Takes 10 minutes and cheap hardware. The software is free. Win win.

I use Hifi Cast for Android so after initial setup the keyboard is optional too...

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
The more I think about this about this, the more I feel it's something to do with keyboards not looking "right" in a furnished family room. Everyone has come to accept passive screens (legacy TVs) or touch screens in their lives, but keyboards in a relaxing family room looks wrong somehow. They should be banished to an office or workshop.

Obviously I'm aware that quite a few members only experience quality playback in a desktop settings, where the obvious answer is a computer and DAC.
I came to the same conclusion years ago. I'm not going to install a KVM to play music in the living room. And I don't want a desktop GUI for that either.

Nor do I want anything that needs a display on the steamer box itself because I want remote control.

Nor do I want anything with a ten foot UI, because I don't want the big screen turned on to play music.

Control should be using your phone or a tablet you leave lying around.

popej

I point out how I've been casting with Chromecast since 2009 but I'm usually ignored. I guess people will keep buying useless and overpriced bling...*shrug*
I guess you mostly listen to playlists? I have CCA too, but it doesn't work for me, since I listen to albums. I unconsciously hold my breath, whenever Chromecast makes a pause, when it shouldn't. It is stressing to listen to non-gapless playback.

D

Deleted member 48726

I guess you mostly listen to playlists? I have CCA too, but it doesn't work for me, since I listen to albums. I unconsciously hold my breath, whenever Chromecast makes a pause, when it shouldn't. It is stressing to listen to non-gapless playback.
Huh? Sounds like spotty wifi to me if you have cut outs.

popej

Sounds like spotty wifi to me if you have cut outs.
Not cut outs, but pauses between tracks. Have you tried to listen to any live concert album cast to Chromecast? Or something like "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd?

D

Deleted member 48726

Not cut outs, but pauses between tracks. Have you tried to listen to any live concert album cast to Chromecast? Or something like "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd?

I know it doesn't support gapless playback. Not something I value.

jooc

I mean, every time this comes up I point out how I've been casting with Chromecast since 2009 but I'm usually ignored. I guess people will keep buying useless and overpriced bling...*shrug*
It's not that you're ignored, it's that Google stopped making those wonderful things. The WiiM Mini is really just a re-animation of that great idea.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@mhardy6647 what do you use for music playback on your Linux computer?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I gather gapless works if you use the CCA as the endpoint for LMS

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
@mhardy6647 what do you use for music playback on your Linux computer?
Just the music player s/w that comes with the (Synology) NAS.
"Audio Station"
1704911819053.png

1704911908066.png

... hooked to the hifi via a Topping D10 that was the kind "karma" gift from a fellow at the Polk forums.

(feel free to ignore the Yamaha components - or at least not to wonder about the presence of the tuner - in the photo ;) in this context!)

Apparently the "app" used to have an EQ built into it, but Synology deleted it on a (relatively) recent update. :facepalm:

Last edited:

popej

I gather gapless works if you use the CCA as the endpoint for LMS
If you stop casting directly from network services, then you can join tracks in 3-rd party application working in the middle. That configuration can use DLNA or Airplay too.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Expensive cat basket.
Keith

deweydm

Have an old 5th gen iPad repurposed as our “streamer”. Connected to the DAC with an Apple CCK USB dongle. I think there’s a way to control it remotely now with newer iOS releases too, but have an old AppleTV 3 connected to the DAC via optical, so just switch it to that and airplay instead. Nice having the iPad display for anyone to use without connecting their phone though.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The more I think about this about this, the more I feel it's something to do with keyboards not looking "right" in a furnished family room. Everyone has come to accept passive screens (legacy TVs) or touch screens in their lives, but keyboards in a relaxing family room looks wrong somehow. They should be banished to an office or workshop.

Obviously I'm aware that quite a few members only experience quality playback in a desktop settings, where the obvious answer is a computer and DAC.

On a phone or tablet the keyboard isn't much to consider. On my laptop I just close it up when am not using the keyboard, but in my comfy room I do often use the laptop for this (perusing of fora) and listening to music simultaneously anyways....what I don't want is a desktop machine.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, gapless is a problem, but it's not entirely the fault of the CC. It's just not possible unless you're streaming directly from a control device (phone with BubbleUPNP, for example). It can't do gapless from network UPNP/DLNA sources or I think also internet streaming sources if you're just using the phone as a remote. It's the phone software that has the workaround, but it costs you battery life. Most apps can't do it, but a few can, such as the one previously mentioned.

BTW I use CC HDMI into my AVR.

Top Bottom