• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 180 82.9%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got them a few minutes ago. First impression: sounds really nice. I may prefer a bit more bass though, but nothing EQ can't solve. Powered by MacBook 3.5 mm output.

Grobbelboy

Just received them as well. After about an hour of listening, the fit of the tips seems to be pretty much perfect for my ears. The sound is just sublime. I genuinely can’t think of any reason to keep my Variations, if only because I will just throw these in the pockets of my jacket without worrying about losing them, unlike the Moondrops. That this can be had for less than €30 seems just insane.

respice finem

Major Contributor
When it arrives (2 weeks I guess) I can do some ABC comparison with both truthears zero. Can't imagine how could I make a blind test of iems:)
Just kidding: Someone would have to put one in your left ear and the other one in your right ear, without letting you know which is which (and with 1:1 SPL as another challenge). :)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is due to lower ear gain? If yes, that might be a good thing based on how the new Harman research on in-ear preference pans out.
No, losing a ton of points from below 200 hz. The target thinks the extra 3 dB bass boost is objectively incorrect and scores accordingly.

lordhumungous

Really great review Amir!

I just received the Zero 2 and while very good, I find the original Zero better. My four most frequently used IEM's and personal ranking are this:

1. 7Hz Zero
2. Truther RED
3. 7Hz Zero 2
4. Truthear BLUE

I find the original Zero to be nearly perfectly balanced, no-EQ. Extremely good with well mastered material. A magnificent bargain in audio. Probably the best in my memory.
I think the Zero and Red are really close . Both high quality for sure .

markanini

Major Contributor
No, losing a ton of points from below 200 hz. The target thinks the extra 3 dB bass boost is objectively incorrect and scores accordingly.
I haven't heard Zero 2, but I've encountered 711 coupler measurement that sounded off by a few dBs below 200Hz in person. This of course tanks the preference model, but the model is not aware of the limited coupler-listener matching.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Funny how the IEM preference score is affected so much by a 2.5dB difference in bass, yet the Headphone preference score seemingly doesn't care about it:
graph (41) (5).png DCA Stealth vs HD 800 S.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
The HRTF hump masks that the DCA stealth and HD 800 hardly track each other at all. This is a parallel lines illusion.
True. The HD800S tracks Harman neither in the bass, nor in the mids and upper treble. So how come it scores the same as the Stealth?

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just listened to these headphones for the first time on my Galaxy Note (no additional DACs or Amps) and I'm very impressed. The sound is naturally smooth and clear with great bass. The space in concert recordings has a natural breath, nothing dominates or obscures anything. The top of the band is clean with a bit of a kind of glassiness, but only a little, a slight touch of the feeling. And this experience reminded me very much of the sound of the Sennheiser HD800S with the Chord Dave DAC, except that on these little guys I have the impression that the bass is better and fuller than on the Chord and HD800S. These headphones are a pleasure to listen to. The sound quality in relation to the price is astronomical. Just shocking!

zonk

I have the Salnotes Zero (and some others of these high praised IEMs) and HD800S.

To compare these two type of devices (IEM and Over-Ear) and to compare the concrete devices is simply most entertaining.

alumnicesar

That database looks like junk. Look at all the 99 scores which you can open up to see they don’t track the target.
it's literally how theyre scored. So you would mean Harman's score is "junk"

To reconcile it, it probably is because treble amount differences do a lot in terms of our overall perception of neutrality. for example, the hd 800 s's slope is 0.07. Meaning it is very very slightly treble boosted. Even though by measurement, it looks like the bass is a lot less than it's treble. The hd800 is technially deficent in both

respice finem

Major Contributor
IMHO with headphones, maybe less with IEM, but to some degree also, this is all not "etched in stone".
The anatomy of the ears, combined with the small volume of the "listening room" (space between transducer and eardrum) makes it more individual than many might think. So, with all due respect for preference scores, some adjustments to individual perception will sometimes be necessary, there is no "one size fits all".

Top Bottom