• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New FiiO Q5S

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly not actually a real thing :) They appear to be referring to AptX HD in an excited manner.
That's what I feared, but wanted to check I hadn't missed something.
Still looks an interesting product, and sooner or later most smartphone users are going to need something like this to continue to use their favoured wired headphones, with the pointless death of the 3.5mm socket.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
0.001% thd no hope. Fiio never knew how to make a good headphone amplifier.

OP
shanecoughlan

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
sooner or later most smartphone users are going to need something like this to continue to use their favoured wired headphones, with the pointless death of the 3.5mm socket.

To be fair, the Apple Lightning/USB-C to 3.5mm have a pretty good DAC and power output. ;)

0.001% thd no hope.

I would love if we could see an analysis on this product. I would hesitate to pre-judge. Besides, the analysis would be tremendous fun to read.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
As the owner of a Pioneer XDP-300R I am pretty much fed up with ALL these mobile players. All of them run on outdated versions of android, most of them never see android oder even security updates. Used as a connected device (aka tidal, spotify, you name it) they pose a real security risk to any network they connect to.

The vendors just do not care, because the audiophile community is absolutely clueless when it comes to these issues.

Think one is better off with a LG phone that gets updates for two years at least. Or with a high quality headphone dongle for any given phone.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, the Apple Lightning/USB-C to 3.5mm have a pretty good DAC and power output.
The Android world is a mess though. And who wants to use a dongle? I quite like the idea of my phone and my headphones not having a physical connection, ergonomically I think that will be good.

OP
shanecoughlan

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
The Android world is a mess though. And who wants to use a dongle? I quite like the idea of my phone and my headphones not having a physical connection, ergonomically I think that will be good.

I am pretty much Bluetooth all the way while mobile too. :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am pretty much Bluetooth all the way while mobile too. :)
I'm still wired IEMs into my phone's 3.5mm Jack, but I expect my next phone won't have a jack, so if someone makes a proven good version of this type of product I'll probably buy it.

OP
shanecoughlan

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
I'm still wired IEMs into my phone's 3.5mm Jack, but I expect my next phone won't have a jack, so if someone makes a proven good version of this type of product I'll probably buy it.

I hear the Jabra 65t represent a good direction. I’m also looking around. While I use an iPhone I don’t really like the fit of AirPods or the bass bias of Beats. Please do let us know if you find something special!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I recommend jaybird x2 with foam tip. This is a really really good sound that truly surprised me. I usually listen to er4 er2 from etymotic and hd58x from sennheiser. I don't feel i miss anything with these. I believe that they are discontinued? But it's still available new on ebay.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Quick clarification: this is a portable DAC/Amp with Bluetooth for connecting to your phone if you don’t want a wire. It’s not a connected media player.
Combined with the FiiO K5 dock this makes an attractive small footprint dac/amp for computer use:)

August

AM3D amp module released with Q5s, it has THXAAA78 certification, looks very cool.
After all, in this forum THX means...

A Surfer

Major Contributor
FiiO does make nice sounding amps so the poster who stated otherwise is likely using some extremely narrow measures of what a good amp is. We all know that sometimes the sound and how a device measures does not align as closely as we would like. I also think measurements tell an important part of the story, just not the whole story. I have owned the original Q5 since it was released and enjoy it very much. I have just now ordered the Q5s as the few changes and added features should work well for me.

I have been able to compare running headphones directly from custom Norne Audio Solv X speaker tap cables to my NAD M3 integrated amplifier with the SMSL SU-8 balanced out as the DAC versus the Q5. I have used my Edition X V2, Pioneer SE Monitor-5, Klipsch HP-3 and the HD700 (all with nicely done equalization to take into account where the tunings need a little help). I have the stock AM3A module for solid 2.5mm balanced which I use for the HD700 and Pioneer, and I have the 4.4mm output on the THX AAA amp module for the Edition X V2. I am also able to use the Pioneer with the balanced input of the THX AAA module as I have the FiiO BL-44 adapter to take the 2.5mm balanced cable of the Pioneer into 4.4mm balanced. The Klipsch I can only drive via the 3.5mm through the AM3A.

All of that to say that when I use the Q5 I find it absolutely satisfying and wonderful sounding even in comparison with a dual mono amp, stable down to 4ohms driving the same headphones right from the speaker output, while using a DAC that has been validated to measure very well by Amirm. So my experience does not at all align with the member who suggests FiiO makes poor amplifiers.

Last edited:

Sinquito

I just bought this on Aliexpress, $346 shipping included, we'll see about customs. If the Q5s gets here on time I might as well return the NX4 DSD if the fiio is better sounding and has enough oomph.

LaLaLard

Having used Q5+AM3B headphone amp module (more power) for close to one year and here's my honest thought:

1. Fiio Q5 is among the best sounding PORTABLE PLAYERS I've tried;

2. I've done several blind AB test for myself (done by a mate) and on other people who were interested in my Q5. It was usually impossible to identify which player was used when same file is being played and volume is finely adjusted to match, this includes A&K players and some other players in the $300~800$ range. And these indifferences tells a lot because I was comparing DAC+amp;

3. The only noticeably better PORTABLE player (among those I tried) to me turned out to be Chord Hugo 2. It was more revealing. I don't have the equipment to run the measurement but the difference is best described as "clearer". NOT ALWAYS BETTER but when tried with DSD/Hi-Res files playing complex Symphonies with ENORMOUS dynamics this difference is audible. Q5 plays slightly "messy" compared to Hugo2 however:
3.1. I've only tried once which took about 15mins;
3.2. No one could help me to carry out a blind test;
3.3. I'm not a Chord fan and don't usually give any shXt to the price tag so I would say I wasn't expecting any difference, but there were;
3.4. It's arguable if Hugo 2 is a "Portable" device;
3.5. The price is there.

4. I've never tried the Mojo. I was trying Hugo 2 because I wanted a new desktop DAC+Headphone Amp. I ended up with RME.

5. Connectivity on Q5 was EXTREMELY WELL. Bluetooth is connected with iPhone and never ever dropping. However one of my friend's android phone had connection issue with Q5 (dropping off frequently).

6. The USB cables included is the biggest bonus. It allows you to connect your iphone to it (a dedicated lightning to microusb cable) or some of the android phones (a dedicated microusb to microusb cable). For other portable amps sometimes you need a dedicated adapter cable to convert the plug (such as lightning to usb-A, then USB-A to MicroUsb. In Q5's boxes two cables are already included and the quality is quite good.) I bought another USB-C to microusb cable from Fiio so I could use it with my macbook (cost $20). Q5 also comes with SPDIF optical input and Coaxial input but I do think those are useless on portable players. The robust USB connectivity (tried with macbook, windows, raspberry pi sys including Volumio and Moode) and Bluetooth input are both working extremely well.

7. When connecting its line-out to an preamp in a speakers system the output voltage is lower than desktop devices. definetely not 2V, more like 1.5V or 1V. This is a bit annoying since everytime I'm testing people's speaker system they always gave a "see I knew these portable stuff are crap" simply because the volume is lower with Q5's DAC out. The SQ is good as far as I can tell but it's relatively difficult to do any blind test between like a 1V output and a 2V output, since not only the volume needs to be adjusted when switching, different volume on the amp might also introduce different level of noises which might makes the test invalid.

8. Battery consumption is quite low. I never really have it ran out of battery and I only recharge it occasionally.

9. I wouldn't upgrade to Q5S. Actually I won't upgrade to any other portable players at the moment since I don't think the SQ can go much better on portable devices. I might consider upgrading to it in future if:
9.1. DAC output is 2V;
9.2. Got Coaxial and optical output (Q5S is equipped with these I think)
9.3. Adds built-in good quality EQ.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I agree about the voltage output; however, I am not sure what the technical implications would be for FiiO to try and boost the output. Might doing that somehow require a trade-off somewhere else in the design? I have to think that FiiO knew the output voltage as a DAC would be lower than optimal so they must have done so for a reason rather than ignorance or indifference. While it isn't ideal, I don't believe that it effects the sound quality, it just requires the amplifier to work a little harder, but perhaps that is not always true.

I think the Q5s will be worth it for me and mine has already shipped so hopefully in a week I will know.

Top Bottom