• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New FiiO Q5S

LaLaLard

I agree about the voltage output; however, I am not sure what the technical implications would be for FiiO to try and boost the output. Might doing that somehow require a trade-off somewhere else in the design? I have to think that FiiO knew the output voltage as a DAC would be lower than optimal so they must have done so for a reason rather than ignorance or indifference. While it isn't ideal, I don't believe that it effects the sound quality, it just requires the amplifier to work a little harder, but perhaps that is not always true.

I think the Q5s will be worth it for me and mine has already shipped so hopefully in a week I will know.

It's probably just my personal preference but one of my intention of buying Q5, apart from listening to music on the go, is to test different equipment with ease. At the moment I just go anywhere with my Q5 and when I need to test people's equipment I plug my Q5 into my iPhone. and use Q5's DAC output to connect to their preamps RCA input, then play some DSD/Hi-Res files I'm extremely familiar with. To me this is an easy and convenient way to do testing.

Since it sometimes incurs some AB testing between Q5 and other DACs too it would be much easier to do the comparison if Q5 is outputing the same 2V as most other DACs.

I think it might have got more to do with the power consumption. But I would hope Fiio could eventually solve the issue and make it work such that the higher output from DAC only impacts battery consumption when it's connected.

Nango

Major Contributor
As the owner of a Pioneer XDP-300R I am pretty much fed up with ALL these mobile players. All of them run on outdated versions of android, most of them never see android oder even security updates. Used as a connected device (aka tidal, spotify, you name it) they pose a real security risk to any network they connect to.

The vendors just do not care, because the audiophile community is absolutely clueless when it comes to these issues.

Think one is better off with a LG phone that gets updates for two years at least. Or with a high quality headphone dongle for any given phone.

XDP-02U is the plastic version of yours, reduced to the max, and it runs under a Linux proprietary version by Pioneer, no Android, it starts in about 5 s., all the Android DAP take almost a minute to start. Apart from the security issue you pointed to.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
That's what I feared, but wanted to check I hadn't missed something.
Still looks an interesting product, and sooner or later most smartphone users are going to need something like this to continue to use their favoured wired headphones, with the pointless death of the 3.5mm socket.
Actually the wired aspect of the Q5s is the primary feature set, the Bluetooth, which does feature LDAC for those who feel it could be superior, is important, but still not the expected main way users will connect to the Q5s. I use AAC Bluetooth with my Q5 and it sounds fantastic and is very stable. Wired headphones for true portable use are almost dead and no great loss I feel. Bluetooth sounds great and allows us to get rid of those ridiculous teethers that are nothing but a hastle, IMO. I am talking about true portable use, public transit, that type of thing.

billbishere

Not to bump an old thread but, it sure would be nice to get a some measurements of the Q5... I mean, it's been around like 2 years... I can understand no Q5s but, Q5 has been out forever...

Veri

Master Contributor
Not to bump an old thread but, it sure would be nice to get a some measurements of the Q5... I mean, it's been around like 2 years... I can understand no Q5s but, Q5 has been out forever...
Amir asked Fiio if Q5s sample is possible. As for Q5, if no one sends one in... hard to take measurements :p

raif71

Major Contributor
Mine arrived already and I'm using it via usb and coax. So far, the sound is just awesome with my Senn 660s. Would be more awesome if the measurements are good.

Edit (Oct 31): In case anyone interested...z reviews of q5s

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
@amirm Some gear, specially DAP, have sometimes a line-out and a separated headphone out. But sometimes there is no line-out and you might use the headphone out for feeding into a stationery amp. Will they do measure different from each other in any way?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I have just now reached out to Amir and offered to send him both my Q5 and Q5s along with an AM3D amp module for measurement. Assuming that Amir is interested and or has the capacity soon enough this may finally be done. Personally I expect decent but not stunning measurements. Personally I find they both sound quite nice, but who knows, maybe there are some hidden sonic nasties lurking under the hood?

LaLaLard

I have just now reached out to Amir and offered to send him both my Q5 and Q5s along with an AM3D amp module for measurement. Assuming that Amir is interested and or has the capacity soon enough this may finally be done. Personally I expect decent but not stunning measurements. Personally I find they both sound quite nice, but who knows, maybe there are some hidden sonic nasties lurking under the hood?
Finally! I would have sent my Q5 to Amir too if I'm in the U.S.
Upon reading the technical sheet of Q5S I don't expect the DAC to perform differently to Q5. Not much had been upgraded. I'm more interested in BTR5 as it uses ESS chips as well as 8675 BT chip.
Just my 5c - Q5's line out definetely sounds worse than my RME ADI-2 FS. This has been blind-tested by my mate and I (We've already factored in the output voltage difference between the 2 units) So I expect the review to result in an audible distortion level, at least for the Line-out jack.

Sinquito

If Amir does the review, please post the link here so we can be notified about it.

I have had the Q5s since it launched last year (July, I think) and I actually don't like it. Some people even thought that I had a beef with Fiio, but the Q5s was very expensive in my eyes for what it offers. Sure, the connectivity is second to none and the fact that you can swap amps is cool, but the default amp (AM3E, I think) doesn't have the power in single ended and I don't plan to invest in balanced cables to all my headphones, specially since some expensive ones (DT1990 and AKG K712 pro) don't even support it. The NX4 DSD has more power, it's smaller, and doesn't get so hot like the Fiio. I won´t talk about SQ of the different DACs because to my ears they all sound pretty much the same. To me the biggest difference is made by the amp, unless the DAC is shit, like those Audio Boutique ones from 15K+ USD. In the end I bought a Fiiio BTR5 which is great, is smaller, has USB type C instead of micro USB, works as DAC/AMP with the PC and Bluetooth with the phone (LDAC and all those codecs that audiophiles love), has a nifty screen, battery life is comparable to the Q5s, has balanced output for the high impedance headphones and best of all, is cheap as chips, that thing cost me the same that the AM5 amp module that I bought for the Q5s to solve the power issue in single ended mode. Since I got the BTR5 first, I haven't actually opened the AM5 and my Q5s is collection dust. When I need more power and not on the go, I just use the NX4 DSD. To me the Q5s is not a very good DAC/AMP, it's not bad by any means, but next to my other to DACs/AMPs, is the worst.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
If Amir does the review, please post the link here so we can be notified about it.

I have had the Q5s since it launched last year (July, I think) and I actually don't like it. Some people even thought that I had a beef with Fiio, but the Q5s was very expensive in my eyes for what it offers. Sure, the connectivity is second to none and the fact that you can swap amps is cool, but the default amp (AM3E, I think) doesn't have the power in single ended and I don't plan to invest in balanced cables to all my headphones, specially since some expensive ones (DT1990 and AKG K712 pro) don't even support it. The NX4 DSD has more power, it's smaller, and doesn't get so hot like the Fiio. I won´t talk about SQ of the different DACs because to my ears they all sound pretty much the same. To me the biggest difference is made by the amp, unless the DAC is shit, like those Audio Boutique ones from 15K+ USD. In the end I bought a Fiiio BTR5 which is great, is smaller, has USB type C instead of micro USB, works as DAC/AMP with the PC and Bluetooth with the phone (LDAC and all those codecs that audiophiles love), has a nifty screen, battery life is comparable to the Q5s, has balanced output for the high impedance headphones and best of all, is cheap as chips, that thing cost me the same that the AM5 amp module that I bought for the Q5s to solve the power issue in single ended mode. Since I got the BTR5 first, I haven't actually opened the AM5 and my Q5s is collection dust. When I need more power and not on the go, I just use the NX4 DSD. To me the Q5s is not a very good DAC/AMP, it's not bad by any means, but next to my other to DACs/AMPs, is the worst.
Can't agree with you here, but there is no right or wrong, just opinions and preferences. I very much like the Q5s and regardless of how it measures I will still enjoy it very much. The stock AM3E module has two balanced outputs so I would be surprised if the BTR5 had more and better power. Each to their own as they say.

LaLaLard

Can't agree with you here, but there is no right or wrong, just opinions and preferences. I very much like the Q5s and regardless of how it measures I will still enjoy it very much. The stock AM3E module has two balanced outputs so I would be surprised if the BTR5 had more and better power. Each to their own as they say.
BTR5 has less power compared to Q5s, and the 3.5mm output is weaker by an even bigger margin, according to Fiio's spec sheet.

LaLaLard

Am also interested in the BTR5. Have you tested the sound compared to Q5s? On spec sheet Q5s should have much more power compared to BTR5, if you don't get enough power from Q5s how do you find BTR5?

Sinquito

The two balanced outputs are the same, just different connectors, the Pentaconn (4.4 mm) seems more robust,but it's very expensive. I didn't say that the BTR5 has more power, neither balanced nor single ended, but the little fella punch way above its weight. The BTR5, like I wrote is very small, less than a third of the price of the Q5s and doesn't get hot. I haven't done any comparison back to back between each other, but I did it with the NX4 DSD, and that was a lot more powerful than the Q5s and again, cheaper and doesn't get hot. The BTR5 is more convenient for me and for my HD600, if I wanted to use them with the BTR5, I would get a balanced cabled with 2.5mm plug and call it a day.

Am also interested in the BTR5. Have you tested the sound compared to Q5s? On spec sheet Q5s should have much more power compared to BTR5, if you don't get enough power from Q5s how do you find BTR5?

The BTR5 is better suited for low impedance headphones, even in high gain, my favorite pairing is with the Fidelio X2HR. My other high impedance cans like HD600 and DT1990 doesn't sound bad per se, but lack authority, dynamics and bass. This is also true for my HE400i, which I never liked anyway.

If you want power out of either of the Fiios you will need to invest in balanced cables or get the AM5 amp module for the Q5s, which is not easy to find and new is pretty much the same price as the BTR5.

TL;DR I really like the BTR5 and never liked the Q5s, especially because I bought it a few weeks after getting the NX4 DSD, if you don't care for Bluetooth or optical/coax, I would rather recommend the Topping.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Opted not to also send the Q5 as frankly that would be redundant and I am sure most people are interested in the Q5s anyway. Not to mention, if the packet got lost I would lose both devices. Apparently the parcel arrived about 3 days ago according to the tracking so depending on Amir's schedule we might see some results soon enough. I'm patient though as I suspect he has several pieces of gear to test ahead of the Q5s.

Top Bottom