• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget DAC Review: behringer UMC204HD

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll play Devil's Advocate just a bit and say lower output levels have their place.

1.1Vrms into a power amp with 26dB gain gives 60W into 8ohms, so it's not absurd. OTOH, some interfaces output 16dBu, requiring >2 bits of digital reduction into most fixed-gain amps. The higher outputs can give better bench measurements, but that may not apply in a real-world system.

Jaro

Hey guys!

Thanks God I found this forum. I really like the fact that you are measuring stuff using objective metrics. However I hope you will be able to answer my general questions which might be also about feelings and opinions. I'll undrstand if not.

I will first describe my setup and then ask few questions.

Here is my stack - connected together in following order:
  • Various music, mostly death metal and grind core, currently Aretha Franklin
  • Mostly Spotify, I'm not dealing with DSD
  • Macbook Pro 2018
  • Behringer UMC404HD
  • Yamaha A-S701
  • Pair of Jamo S-606 - connected by bi-wiring
Questions:
  1. I'm considering replacing Behringer with better DAC. Originally I was thinking about Dragonfly Red. After going through this forum I'm pretty excited about Topping D30. Do you think replacing Behringer with Topping will make a big difference in my setup?
  2. I'm considering buying Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO headphones. Will listening using Behringer and Yamaha headphone output be very different to listening using Topping and Yamaha headphone output?
  3. I was originally considering buying Yamaha A-S801. The only difference to Yamaha A-S701 is that 801 has built-in dac. Can such built-in dac be as good as for exmaple that topping box? I'm just trying to justify my (maybe bad) decision from the past :( .
  4. Is Topping D30 still #1 choice?
Im really looking forward for the answers. Thanks in advance!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you can deal with the low-ish output voltage of the Behringer, it's audibly well past what you'll realistically ever need. I measured the 404HD and got similarly excellent results from the DAC. The ADC is OK, no better than OK.

Jaro

@SIY many thanks for your response. Yes, thanks to this forum I'm aware this is a drawback of Behringer.

But to be honest I do not know exactly what it means. Could you please give me an example on how low-ish output can affect me? Is it like distortion when I play it too loud? Or something else?

Sorry for n00bish question - I'm not an expert in this area. I just love listening music.

Thanks again!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FWIW, I have it sitting side-by-side with a $7K (retail ha yeah right) PS Audio Perfectwave Directstream DAC w/ latest firmware and this Behringer more than holds its own in sound quality. It's not as convenient however since I'm streaming Roon to the PSA and that DAC does sound nice. Never seen it tested though.
Would be great if you could loan me the PS Audio for measurements. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But to be honest I do not know exactly what it means. Could you please give me an example on how low-ish output can affect me? Is it like distortion when I play it too loud? Or something else?
No, but you may not be able to get the full power out of your amplifier. People for example have complained that their powered speakers would not get as loud with the Behringer as compared to other DACs.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY many thanks for your response. Yes, thanks to this forum I'm aware this is a drawback of Behringer.

Sorry for n00bish question - I'm not an expert in this area. I just love listening music.

Thanks again!

What are you running the DAC output into? A preamp? A receiver? A power amp directly? That's an important consideration.

Jaro

What are you running the DAC output into? A preamp? A receiver? A power amp directly? That's an important consideration.
@SIY On Behringer side I'm using its RCA playback output. It is connected to Integrated Amp Yamaha A-S701 - using Yamaha's RCA input.

As @amirm mentioned, lowish output voltage could affect me if I connected my Behringed to active speakers - which is not my case. Does that mean that in my setup I'm not going to be affected by lowish voltage at all?

Thanks guys!

sharpty

@Jaro, as long as you aren't running the Yamaha amp at full volume and still wanting more power output, you should be fine with the Behringer. With "pro" audio gear like mixing consoles and powered monitors, line level is typically ~2v. Consumer audio gear, like your Yamaha, is typically rated at a lower voltage line level, closer to ~1v. Should be a good match for the Behringer.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
OK, that's an integrated amp, so if you're going into one of the line-level inputs (CD or Line), you'll be fine. Those inputs have a sensitivity of 0.2V (200 mV) and the Behringer will output up to 0.8-1V, so no problems with insufficient sensitivity.

Willem

Major Contributor
However, your AS 701 has a built in DAC, though only optical and coaxial inputs. The easiest and perhaps even best solution would be to use a Chromecast Audio and connect its digital output to the optical input of your integrated amplifier. This way you have freed your laptop from audio duty and from a clumsy wired connection.

Jaro

First of all, thanks guys for all your responses!
However, your AS 701 has a built in DAC, though only optical and coaxial inputs. The easiest and perhaps even best solution would be to use a Chromecast Audio and connect its digital output to the optical input of your integrated amplifier. This way you have freed your laptop from audio duty and from a clumsy wired connection.

@Willem I made a small research and what I found out is that
As I'm listening to Spotify 99% of the time, this seems not to be an option for me. Or did I miss anything?

I'm thinking if there is another easy way to leverage DAC built-in to my Yamaha Amp.

Do you know of any alternatives to ChromeCast Audio? A good dongle/device/... that has USB input and optical or coaxial output? I'm perfectly OK with cables, it does not have to be wifi.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am streaming Spotify through a Chromecast Audio using the Spotify app. It works like a treat with excellent sound quality in a very transparent system. l do not use Roon, so I have no experience with that.

FWIW I am running the Behringer straight into a Hypex Ncore amp with 1/4" TRS to balanced XLR connectors and it works fine. You don't get the convenience of a remote control, and the volume knob is small (not to mention the mystery "direct" button which I can't seem to get a satisfactory answer regarding its electrical function), but the sound is great.

Guilherme

hello,
my only purpose is to use this equipment as a DAC for listening music from my desktop.
I have an integrated amplifier Pioneer SA-7100 and 2 Pioneer CS88A speakers. Do you think I can get some satisfactory sound with the Behringer 204hd?
Well, I were to receive a Schiit Modi 3 from a friend, but now it isnt an option anymore. The Behringer 204hd is, surprisingly, the only DAC I find where I live. I am almost sure I am going to get one once its the only option right now. But I would like to know in hypothetical terms what I am going to miss in comparison to the modi 3. Anyone could send me any light?
thanks!!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hello,
my only purpose is to use this equipment as a DAC for listening music from my desktop.
I have an integrated amplifier Pioneer SA-7100 and 2 Pioneer CS88A speakers. Do you think I can get some satisfactory sound with the Behringer 204hd?
Well, I were to receive a Schiit Modi 3 from a friend, but now it isnt an option anymore. The Behringer 204hd is, surprisingly, the only DAC I find where I live. I am almost sure I am going to get one once its the only option right now. But I would like to know in hypothetical terms what I am going to miss in comparison to the modi 3. Anyone could send me any light?
thanks!!

You shouldn't miss a thing!

Noise and distortion with the Behringer is 100dB below the signal and the frequency response is flat. Unless it does some very strange things that don't show up in the particular measurements shown here (which is unlikely), it is likely to be audibly transparent under normal listening conditions.

Guilherme

You shouldn't miss a thing!

Noise and distortion with the Behringer is 100dB below the signal and the frequency response is flat. Unless it does some very strange things that don't show up in the particular measurements shown here (which is unlikely), it is likely to be audibly transparent under normal listening conditions.
thanks for replying! then you're saying that I will not only have the same experience listening to my Schubert or Miles Davis on flac archives but I will have some various extra-ports in comparison to the Modi 3? Well, maybe the 204hd is even a better choice and I would only prefer the modi 3 for its beautiful design?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for replying! then you're saying that I will not only have the same experience listening to my Schubert or Miles Davis on flac archives but I will have some various extra-ports in comparison to the Modi 3? Well, maybe the 204hd is even a better choice and I would only prefer the modi 3 for its beautiful design?

Exactly :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's pretty much it. I measured and have used the 4 channel version, the 404HD, and it looked spectacularly good.

Top Bottom