• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

Tangband

Major Contributor
Can one become a single driver loudspeaker ‘designer’ , it’s just a driver in a box isn’t it?
Keith
You dont need a crossover but the same rules apply as building a normal 3 way speaker : correct cabinet volume , tuning frequency, good baffle shape and the right amount of internal damping material .

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Tangband

Major Contributor
Purely for me anything with a whizzer cone or really large single drivers horns are amongst the worst ever,
I remember sitting in front of some Voxativ single driver speakers in Munich I just couldn’t come to terms with them and they were hugely expensive.
Keith
Agree there are many bad ones

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As for bass reflex single driver, some "bass reflex" designs I've seen were tall enough that they were essentially mass-loaded transmission lines.

MAB

Major Contributor
Its ofcourse impossible to say on this forum that single speakers can sound good, and in some way even sound better than a multiway loudspeaker. But its a fact .
Saying things are a fact without offering proof is exactly the opposite of what ASR is about, and will get stiff resistance just about anywhere you say unsupported things (not just ASR). And to be clear, you aren't very technical, and get so many facts wrong, never demonstrate or support your statements with data, so when you say "It's a fact", I have to chuckle.
What you say is not entirely true - I can only mention mini dsp , the one with analog inputs that still sells and are rather bad sounding if used as dsp crossover .
This is a great example of you making sweeping statements that are 100% unsupported, and not even bothering with facts. Are you aware of the many models of MiniDSP with analog inputs (there is no "the one")? Are you saying that all of the models with analog inputs sound bad? Or are you saying that the Flex with analog input sounds bad compared to the Flex with no analog inputs? Or are you just making a sweeping statement about devices you have no experience with? Likely.
There are good dsp crossovers out there for a lot more money, but none of those are 100% transparent and will loose some music information that no loudspeaker driver can retrieve.
'Good' DSP can be done for free with your computer, how can you not know this? And, the "will loose some musical information" seems to be you not understanding even the barest DSP basics.
When we discuss this, we always suggest that a dsp crossover is perfect with schoolbook behaviour with a perfect Linkwitz Riley crossover . But the real world is nowhere near perfect , drivers are very unlinear and a perfect aligned crossover dont exist . The best crossover is no crossover . :)
No we don't, you jump to conclusions again, and why do you assume L-R??? Seems like you just made a word-salad.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As for single drivers sounding good...my old Pioneer single drivers were OK at low volumes. They had little bass or treble, but were pleasant enough. Oddly enough, I have never considered going back to that.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Saying things are a fact without offering proof is exactly the opposite of what ASR is about, and will get stiff resistance just about anywhere you say unsupported things (not just ASR). And to be clear, you aren't very technical, and get so many facts wrong, never demonstrate or support your statements with data, so when you say "It's a fact", I have to chuckle.

This is a great example of you making sweeping statements that are 100% unsupported, and not even bothering with facts. Are you aware of the many models of MiniDSP with analog inputs (there is no "the one")? Are you saying that all of the models with analog inputs sound bad? Or are you saying that the Flex with analog input sounds bad compared to the Flex with no analog inputs? Or are you just making a sweeping statement about devices you have no experience with? Likely.

'Good' DSP can be done for free with your computer, how can you not know this? And, the "will loose some musical information" seems to be you not understanding even the barest DSP basics.

No we don't, you jump to conclusions again, and why do you assume L-R??? Seems like you just made a word-salad.

Dont poop the thread please.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Please offer some proof to back up even one thing you say
You cant prove a perceived musical experience when listening to a loudspeaker

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Eh, seriously, you’re quite the sophistry exemplar…

I commend others for even trying.
I think we're just dumb enough to take the offered bait :facepalm:

MAB

Major Contributor
Eh, seriously, you’re quite the sophistry exemplar…

I commend others for even trying.
I'm not sure what I'm trying to do here...
Dude has been trolling this site for years, I think it's more my irritation with the pseudo-science, nothing I write here will cause understanding to happen or make the unsupported stream of anecdotes stop.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure what I'm trying to do here...
Dude has been trolling this site for years, I think it's more my irritation with the pseudo-science, nothing I write here will cause understanding to happen or make the unsupported stream of anecdotes stop.
Wait...isn't this Audio Anecdotes Review? I'm in the wrong place!

Reactions: MAB

Tangband

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The speakers should have a better chance to “disappear” if the direct sound is the dominating thing you hear at the listening position, at least as long as the positioning of the speakers is well optimized so that the two speakers are fully working together revealing a unified stereo image.

edit. Something to think about: answer to question in topic of this thread depends entirely on the room and what you want to listen to, the close sound or far sound. Considering some records sound better with either, and that some people seem to like either, there is no single answer but perhaps three! Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise sound stage depends on your room and what you want to hear, and how carefully you can position speakers and listening position to actually make it happen ;)

I've listened to Consensual Worlds for years. The sound in my system goes beyond the left speaker and wraps around behind me to the extreme right.
I hadn't heard it before... what a mind trip! Thanks for sharing.
My standard answer on this is that your "soundstage" is as wide as your speaker are apart. The instruments in the stereo field were put there by the mix engineer and their PAN POT. There is no magic design in speakers for soundstage. What you're experiencing is reflections and phase interactions from the imperfections in the speakers themselves and the room.

Put your magic speaker in another space and that Oboe you think you hear sitting on your right leg will move somewhere else.
Agreed that the room has an effect but so too does the speaker. Well controlled point source speakers like many of the popular Genelecs and even my MTM Meyer Ultra-X20 will completely disappear if the source material and room allow. The effect can be quite spooky.
@MattHooper Interesting couple of posts. Thoughts and reactions...

1) I'm surprised to hear (though not doubting) that a diffusor near the front wall of the room (the wall behind the speakers) where such relatively little mid and high frequency energy is directed has such an impact on spaciousness and tonality.
Below are a couple of images of my home office/media room. The speakers are 30" from the front wall and are fully toed in. They are set at precisely 10' apart with the primary listing position also at 10' away. The bookcases between them are 13" deep and make a massive diffuser. Imaging is so well presented that when playing a hard center panned instrument or singer, it is completely disassociated from the left and right speakers. Initially when I set up the room, I literally had to unplug the center channel speaker to prove to myself that it wasn't contributing.

In this room (20' wide by 13' 6" deep) the soundstage can collapse to a single singer in the center to a massive and encircling image all dependent on the source material. Is this important? To some folks it is, I get a kick out of it, but find a more diffuse less well defined image more in keeping with live music and enjoy that equally well.

Media Room Bookcases.jpg
Media Room Screen Down NT.jpg

The second image shows the room in theater mode. Here the imaging is far less impressive as the diffuser is mostly removed from the equation. Conveniently when watching films, the visuals offer enough support that the lesser imaging from the speakers isn't noticeable.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Put your magic speaker in another space and that Oboe you think you hear sitting on your right leg will move somewhere else.
Friggin’ double reed players. They’re all crazy from the glue.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed that the room has an effect but so too does the speaker. Well controlled point source speakers like many of the popular Genelecs and even my MTM Meyer Ultra-X20 will completely disappear if the source material and room allow. The effect can be quite spooky.
My speakers are MTM, also. Maybe MTM is better at exciting that kind of soundstage stuff.

NIN

Energy ( power ) is lost, perfect phase is lost, the direct connection to the driver is lost ( last thing important below emf frequencies, ie bass ). There are also things added from the crossover like delayed energy and distortion. A coil is one of the worst behaving electronic component .

Even If the crossover is an active one, you have a lot of extra electronics before the driver that contributes with some coloration/noise.

Using a single driver is in reality an active speaker, connected directly to the amplifier but without having those drawbacks of a crossover.

Using only one driver have many cons to, as we all know. But the biggest advantage is point source behaviour and perfect phase in the midrange where the ear is most sensitive. This can make the soundstage huge and at the same time very exact.

Can you show any measurements that prove your point?

I cannot find any one driver speaker that seriously can be used for 20Hz-20kHz. Where can one find one?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I cannot find any one driver speaker that seriously can be used for 20Hz-20kHz. Where can one find one?

Some years ago I delivered a rather unorthodox and quite large single-driver speaker to a customer who had warned me in advance that he was going to refuse them and demand a refund if they failed to have bass extension into the 20 Hz region. We set them up and listened to a few songs of his choice, and he liked what he heard. Then he pulled out his test disc and Radio Shack SPL meter. I was nervous about possibly losing a sale to an unfavorable in-room SPL reading.

He played 1/3 octave warble tones and wrote down the dB readings as the tracks descended in frequency. The 20 Hz band was -6 dB on the SPL meter. I held my breath. He hemmed and hawed a bit and finally decided to keep the speakers. Whew!

Then while driving home I remembered that the Radio Shack SPL meter's readings had to be corrected at low frequencies because its response falls off at low frequencies. I looked it up when I got home and the correction curve called for adding 6 dB to the 20 Hz measurement! In other words, these single-driver speakers were actually flat in-room to 20 Hz!!

(In a factory setting I once watched a real-time analyzer measurement of this speaker and am reasonably confident that the top end reached 20 kHz but I was mainly focused on the shape of the RTA curve rather than on the bandwidth limits.)

So what speaker was it? A big SoundLab full-range electrostat, about seven feet tall and about three feet wide. Hey, it meets the "single driver" criterion!

Last edited:
Top Bottom