• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Skoll Balanced Phono Stage Review

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 56.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 45 32.6%

• Total voters

hoverdonkey

Does vinyl beat lossless digital source (say CD) in any scientific measurements? Dynamic range maybe?

ocinn

Interesting - I hadn't realised there was an Ortofon Concorde MKII Elite. It looks good. I recently had the Concorde Nightclub 2 and the Pro-Ject Pick it S2 C from these types of DJ bananas.
I have a couple Club MK2s for playing live since they are less delicate. There’s honestly no reason to get the Elites unless you have a friend who has access to dealer pricing like I did. They are extremely expensive and I don’t let anyone I don’t trust well use them as the cantilever is quite thin.

Who is that?
I feel like most people I see outside of this forum think vinyl is superior.

This was proven in this paper

Listeners believed they were listening to a higher quality recording when they visually saw a vinyl record playing timecode (which then played a digital file to their headphones).

I mean here’s an insane text I got in an argument with an acquaintance of mine:

BAD44DA5-334C-4E90-B0C0-96FD0E91C1AC.jpeg

Multicore

Major Contributor
I have a couple Club MK2s for playing live since they are less delicate. There’s honestly no reason to get the Elites unless you have a friend who has access to dealer pricing like I did. They are extremely expensive and I don’t let anyone I don’t trust well use them as the cantilever is quite thin.

Listeners believed they were listening to a higher quality recording when they visually saw a vinyl record playing timecode (which then played a digital file to their headphones).

View attachment 319073
I guess that's why you need the highest sample rate and bit depth to successfully capture the sound of a good quality LP to digital :P

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does vinyl beat lossless digital source (say CD) in any scientific measurements? Dynamic range maybe?

In theory? Or in a real recording played in a real room / speakers?

In theory never.
In real recordings, you can check the online dynamic range recording databases by format.
And .. if we take that recording to room / speakers ... let me say I have many records with better sound than CDs ... many.

We're using science here, don't misunderstand, but theory and practice are only equals in theory

mike70

I feel like most people I see outside of this forum have never given it a thought.

Vinyl isn't superior, far from that.
But vinyl can be totally enough for the recordings, acoustics, ears and speakers we have. That's all.

You can have the same bad recording with 40dB of DR in a SACD ... the format can't do it better. That's not theoretical, that's an awful real truth ... that's what I say to anyone who wants to see it.

In other way, yes, CD have 90dB of dynamic range against 60-70 in vinyl ... yes, I'm a totally loser and stupid. We can continue with the standard show :)

dzerig

That high pass filter is ridiculous…. What were they thinking? Not only too shallow of a filter but far too high of a freq.
It almost looks like it's for a subwoofer but on the other hand, the reduction of rumble is going to dramatically reduce bass distortion, so bass definition and midrange should all sound much better.

IF you have alot of rumble. If you don't have rumble, just disable it.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I am considering a step up transformer, one of the $200 cheapos on the bay maybe. What's the advantage over just the preamp?
The biggest advantage is with phono preamplifiers with tubes, because it is very difficult to amplify the low output voltage with them. With today's phono preamplifiers with OP amps, the transistor solution is in principle easier and cheaper to produce.

Good stepup transformers are not cheap. My favourites were custom made according to my specs by Pikatron Germany who made such transformers for legendary studio gear. I had ordered a small series for me and some friends.

mike70

I am considering a step up transformer, one of the $200 cheapos on the bay maybe. What's the advantage over just the preamp?

In my opinion a step up transformer and mm preamp is the best "recipe" for mc ... even the preamp support mc gain.

The transformer passive gain do it better, imho.

VQR

Do you have hum? If not, I wouldn't personally bother doing a mod. BTW, the XLR inputs on the Skoll are 3 pin.

I have a couple of Jelco tonearms with 5 pin DIN. The Skoll is tempting. With a couple other mods in the chain, I could have a balanced path all the way to the amp. I am not certain there would be any benefit though. With minimal hum and the vinyl noise floor, I'm thinking it would be a waste of time. And, I would never buy a Skoll just for RCA use, the only attraction for me is the XLR stuffs.
Since my turntable is 50 years old, I need to recap and decided to add a 5 pin DIN output. I ordered the parts for the latter today ironically enough.
;)

hoverdonkey

In theory? Or in a real recording played in a real room / speakers?

In theory never.
In real recordings, you can check the online dynamic range recording databases by format.
And .. if we take that recording to room / speakers ... let me say I have many records with better sound than CDs ... many.

We're using science here, don't misunderstand, but theory and practice are only equals in theory

I do also wonder if we are sure that current science can measure everything we can hear.

hoverdonkey

Vinyl isn't superior, far from that.
But vinyl can be totally enough for the recordings, acoustics, ears and speakers we have. That's all.

You can have the same bad recording with 40dB of DR in a SACD ... the format can't do it better. That's not theoretical, that's an awful real truth ... that's what I say to anyone who wants to see it.

In other way, yes, CD have 90dB of dynamic range against 60-70 in vinyl ... yes, I'm a totally loser and stupid. We can continue with the standard show :)

Sounds familiar... I work in horology and I see plenty of people spend $$$$$ on new mechanical watches, even though a $ digital watch will perform better.

Personally speaking, it's my watch that keeps time to 2 seconds per year that floats my boat, even though I know that any mechanical watch from the last 200 years would get me to work on time! I guess that's why I♥️ASR!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 319073
Have him watch the Monty video.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The range of frequency is obliviously well established; infinite and immeasurable perception is not.
There isn't any infinite or immeasurable perception. We are able to measure audio way beyond the human ability to hear it.

Now if you are talking about what the brain will fabricate from that inside your head, then no, we have much less of an idea. But it has nothing to do with audio equipment.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hold on - we are in a review thread.

Discussion is supposed to be limited to the equipment reviewed. Mods will probably be along in a minute to move this junk to the "Are measurements...." thread.

Especially when I self report.:p

EDIT - or perhaps one of the vinyl junk collector threads.

Top Bottom