• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great recordings of classical music

Tangband

Major Contributor
I'd love to get some recommendations for baroque and early music recordings. I have some of the recordings mentioned in this thread but I'm always looking for more. My favorite is instrumental music for small ensembles. I love double reed instruments and viols.
Look for the artist and viola player Jordi Savall , many outstanding recordings with smaller ensembles with very good acoustics .

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Look for the artist and viola player Jordi Savall , many outstanding recordings with smaller ensembles with very good acoustics .
I think your tip is very good! I had also briefly thought about what I could recommend in this segment, but nothing special came to mind. Jordi Savall is also highly appreciated by me.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
This Album is new and in my opinion very good which does not surprise me because we like to listen to Hélène Grimaud anyway and often. She is a outstanding pianist. The recording in the Polling monastery is available for a fee at stage-plus.com. I also found the new album at Deezer HiFi.

500x500-000000-80-0-0.jpg

Albertine

Hi Joel

If you are referring to my photo, I am trying to remember what it was. Works by the composer Anna Korsun were played, I think.

There is a very interesting and enjoyable event format at the Festspielhaus Hellerau in Dresden that we have attended regularly for many years. It's called 'Composers for Breakfast'. (Komponist:innen zum Frühstück)

It is a Sunday matinee, there is breakfast in a relatively small circle of insiders and music lovers. A usually relatively young composer is introduced, interviewed and exemplary works are performed. As far as I know, no recordings are made. In this way we have already met quite a few young composers and also got into conversation with some of them.

View attachment 267864

View attachment 267865
Apologies for the very late reply, but this looks like a wonderful event!. What a great idea to combine contemporary music and breakfast!

Albertine

I've been enjoying this series of fresh, period instrument recordings of the Haydn symphonies by Giovanni Antonini, with the Basel Chamber orchestra and Il Giardino Armonico, part of an exciting ongoing project called Haydn 2032. Running under the auspices of the Haydn Foundation, Basel, Antonini will record all 108 symphonies, alongside contemporary pieces by various composers. He brings an informed, always spirited and fresh approach to this great classical canon. If you ever think of Haydn's music being dusty, four-square or, heaven forbid, dull, then these performances will change your mind! He brings out the wit, zest and boundless invention of these masterpieces.

Bravo to Alpha Classics, one of Europe's brightest most enterprising labels, for this wonderful project!

Attachments

• 20231006_095034.jpg
    20231006_095034.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 319

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I've been enjoying this series of fresh, period instrument recordings of the Haydn symphonies by Giovanni Antonini, with the Basel Chamber orchestra and Il Giardino Armonico, part of an exciting ongoing project called Haydn 2032. Running under the auspices of the Haydn Foundation, Basel, Antonini will record all 108 symphonies, alongside contemporary pieces by various composers. He brings an informed, always spirited and fresh approach to this great classical canon. If you ever think of Haydn's music being dusty, four-square or, heaven forbid, dull, then these performances will change your mind! He brings out the wit, zest and boundless invention of these masterpieces.

Bravo to Alpha Classics, one of Europe's brightest most enterprising labels, for this wonderful project!
Thank you,
I haven't found this label Alpha Classics on Deezer HiFi yet. Maybe it's still too new. But I found a playlist with Haydn symphonies by Antonini, where the Basel Chamber Orchestra also plays. I'll give it a listen later.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I haven't listened to this album in a couple of months. It's eccentric and beautifully recorded. We sang this piece in my high school chorus.
Some classical pieces I find not bad in principle, but it can happen that I have simply heard them far too often and therefore no longer find them appealing.

Lively choir participation is fun, of course.

Yuhasz01

''Marie-Claire Alain kept finding new organs during her life that she thought were good for playing Bach''

Well, it's a bit more complicated than this, the article is misleading. In short, she believed it was important to play different organs (even bad ones sometimes!). The one from the 1980 recordings still remains the one best adapted to both Bach and her skills and style, the others, like the Silbermann one, heavier and with a ''cheating'' acoustic.
Anyway, whatever the discussion it always seems to come back to you, your region, your wife, whatever, man you know you have a condition right? It's really annoying let's just keep talking about artists and music, nobody cares about your life here, sorry to be blunt but it's for the greater good.
Be civil here. Best for everyone.

mSpot

I haven't found this label Alpha Classics on Deezer HiFi yet.
Alpha Classics is one of the largest independent classical music record labels. Here in the US it is on Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Qobuz, Tidal – and Deezer. I'm very surprised that it wouldn't be on Deezer worldwide.

For example, the well known violinist Patricia Kopatchinskaja has 11 albums on Alpha Classics. Do you see this album on your Deezer?

Last edited:

Barrelhouse Solly

Some classical pieces I find not bad in principle, but it can happen that I have simply heard them far too often and therefore no longer find them appealing.

Lively choir participation is fun, of course.
I like the whole album. It's 2 discs. The interesting thing to me is the choice of instruments. He played them all and multi-tracked.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Alpha Classics is one of the largest independent classical music record labels. Here in the US it is on Spotify, Apple, Amazon, Qobuz, Tidal – and Deezer. I'm very surprised that it wouldn't be on Deezer worldwide.

For example, the well known violinist Patricia Kopatchinskaja has 11 albums on Alpha Classics. Do you see this album on your Deezer?

Thank you for asking!

Yes, I also find the album of Sol & Pat when I follow your link to Deezer-HiFi.

Maybe I didn't search well enough for the other one. I was looking for the album that @Albertine had suggested. This particular Album I could not find.

index.php

LewisWaddo

Enjoyed going through these posts. Here are my recommendations :)

IMG_0870.jpeg

IMG_0871.jpeg

Last edited:

mSpot

Maybe I didn't search well enough for the other one. I was looking for the album that @Albertine had suggested. This particular Album I could not find.

index.php
It is a collection of 10 albums that were already released separately, and now available together in a 10-CD box set.
It will probably not be released on streaming services in this format as a single set, but the individual volumes should be all available if you search for "haydn 2032". I've listened to some of the releases and this series is excellent.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It is a collection of 10 albums that were already released separately, and now available together in a 10-CD box set.
It will probably not be released on streaming services in this format as a single set, but the individual volumes should be all available if you search for "haydn 2032". I've listened to some of the releases and this series is excellent.
Thanks again, this info is helpful.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't listened to this album in a couple of months. It's eccentric and beautifully recorded. We sang this piece in my high school chorus.

I may hopefully guess your music preferences from your above post...
I assume you would be somewhat interested in my "audio sampler/reference playlist" summarized here and here as well as the links shown thereof.

My thread here entitled "Lute Music and Other Early Music: Stunning Recordings We Love" would be also hopefully of your interest and reference.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom