• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit KARA Preamp and Headphone Amp Review

Rate this preamp and headphone amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 90 38.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 123 52.3%

• Total voters

GianDi

Will ever be exist a product with these measurements, which integrates DAC and STREAMER functions?
1695265775124.png

Highvolt60

Would be great or something I would be interested in if they had a digital display of the volume and a trigger output !
I really don't understand why so many Pre-Amps don't have a trigger out ?
The RCA performance screams quality issues too.
Wonder if it was the RCA input or the output acting up (if you went bal in to RCA out or the reverse) ?

Last edited:

Travis

I gave Kara a 10+. Quit reading after that, how can you possibly top that?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fantastic dog and a nice product too. But I must confess slight disappointment when I saw a review thread locked after only 20 replies... and it was just for more data.

My thought had been, "What sort of dumpster fire did that set off??!"

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
Does anyone know if the Schitt relay volume control is a Shunt, Ladder or ? circuit?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But that hair! Glad I don't have to keep your house clean. LOL
It is insane how much they shed. You look at them and hair falls off! We joke that they constantly eat just to make hair! We have central vac and have to empty the canister after just one vacuum! On the positive front, their hair is never dirty. It lacks oil so stuff doesn't stick to it.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You look at them and hair falls off! We joke that they constantly eat just to make hair!

Our Bernese only walks through the house, from his elevated back deck. He doesn't stay in the house (unless it's super hot and he need the air con) and yet we have Bernese Tumble Weeds of hair that end up in places he never has even been in. A bit of a breeze and I sometimes see them rolling around on the wooden floor swirling into a corner!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is insane how much they shed. You look at them and hair falls off! We joke that they constantly eat just to make hair! We have central vac and have to empty the canister after just one vacuum! On the positive front, their hair is never dirty. It lacks oil so stuff doesn't stick to it.
The sled dogs are all great breds. I had a Husky for years and an old buddy raised Malamutes back in the 70s. All big teddybears IME.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great aside from the RCA performance which is forgivable as its's a preamp in 2023 ! and it's not expensive , but I don't expect to hear the distortion which seems very clean only 2nd and 3rd harmonics , but it's still a quiet amp , that i will hear .

However how is the volume control tracking ? that's an important aspect of a preamp ?

I could whine about the lack of obvious features ( as i do ) but still a reasonably price good preamp in 2023

gvl

Major Contributor
I don't quite get the idea of full sized products that have a headphone amp. Sure, you can use them on your desk, if you have a huge desk, but more often than not they sit on a rack or the like which is far from your seating position. Like many AVRs have headphone outputs. Who uses that?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
in the year of our lord 2023 i cannot fathom someone with a set of cans (!!) tethered by a headphone cable the length of a car to their hifi rack while they sit down on their sofa

but yeah i guess this is what atmos 7.2 avr owners do according to the manufacturers. I've been told many companies do a "kitchen sink" approach so as not to miss out on ANY sale (eg. my AVR has a phono input!)

do full size owners really sit this close to their pieces of equipment?

but I mean if its a few bucks to add then i guess so?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't quite get the idea of full sized products that have a headphone amp. Sure, you can use them on your desk, if you have a huge desk, but more often than not they sit on a rack or the like which is far from your seating position. Like many AVRs have headphone outputs. Who uses that?

Well... there is plenty of room inside. Saves you from buying an extra headphone amp.
Schiit states the following about it:
Because you shouldn’t have to buy a headphone amp if your primary system isn’t about headphones. It’s totally fine if you listen to headphones only occasionally. So, in the same way that our headphone amps have preamp outs too, we decided to add a headphone out to our Kara preamp.

The amp inside seems to be the familiar low feedback 'continuity' design which Schiit (and their followers) seem to prefer over 'lowest SINAD' amps for some reason and explains the higher distortion in low impedances.
The design of the headphone section is in line with their 'philosophy' but seems to be a bit like the Magni+ amp section in performance and is not the most important aspect of this amp. The pre-amp (and volume control) is. It is not a headphone amp with pre-amp out function but a pre-amp with an additional (but not as high quality) headphone out section as a bonus.
It seems to have DC output protection which might be a good idea ...

Top Bottom