• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Gustard DAC-X26

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, shall we all start saving to purchase a used dCS Debussy for 5.000$?

SmarterthanU

How can you be sure that you not being able to differentiate between DACs does not mean you do not remember what you heard in exactly enough detail to accurately compare and contrast the differing sound characteristics of the DACs? Can you retain a perfect copy of what you just heard in memory in order to be able to contrast to what you are hearing with accuracy? This seems implausible.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very comfortable with this idea. Socrates was comfortable with the idea that nothing about reality could be known. Would he purchase a 5.000$ device just because a random person tries to convince him, whereas he would probably be satisfied enough with a 79$ Topping D10?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How can you be sure that you not being able to differentiate between DACs does not mean you do not remember what you heard in exactly enough detail to accurately compare and contrast the differing sound characteristics of the DACs? Can you retain a perfect copy of what you just heard in memory in order to be able to contrast to what you are hearing with accuracy? This seems implausible.
In my case I played recordings with a lot of detail and concentrated on particular details to try to hear any difference in the hardware that rendered it. Once I thought I heard a bit more detail in one DAC over the others but even then I am sure I could not tell you which i was listening to by ear. In any case even if there was a tiny difference it was so minute as to be of no consequence whatever and does not effect my enjoyment of my system.
The difference between different microphones, for example, is much bigger and easily heard. So is the difference made to a recording by moving the microphone relative to the musicians - big difference, easily heard.
So my experience is that IF there is a difference between DACs (other than weird filters or odd analogue stages) I couldn't hear it so it is vanishingly small and of no consequence (to me).
Making sure my amp is powerful enough, choice of speakers and their positioning in the room makes big, obvious differences. If you have an analogue source, like a record player the components vary lots and the sound can be tuned to taste, but digital, no, IME audibly transparent for decades.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When one has the money, it is so easy to purchase an expensive DAC or an expensive amp.

But even rich people need to try different positions of speakers and listening position. And will never be sure they have made the best positionning for their budget. Sad for them, isn't it?

SmarterthanU

I am very comfortable with this idea. Socrates was comfortable with the idea that nothing about reality could be known. Would he purchase a 5.000$ device just because a random person tries to convince him, whereas he would probably be satisfied enough with a 79$ Topping D10?

I never said anything about anyone not being satisfied with a cheaper chip DAC. I did call into question the value of a $1200 off the shelf chip based DAC.

Bliman

I have a dCS P8i, it sounds the same as all the other players I have tried even though it produces excellent results from its state of the art digital system as does my Chord DAC, neither of which i use any more since my amplifier has a digital input. I have heard all the more recent dCS kit too since my local dealer sells them. If I was into streaming I would consider the streamer box.
My system sounds great but I have good speakers and put a lot of effort into positioning them and building a dedicated listening room - things that make a noticeable difference, unlike well engineered digital kit which are all audibly transparent IME.
I largely gave up dicking about with equipment once I had carefully level match auditioned a range of DACs in a range from £1100 to £14,000 and found them all so close I couldn't reliably choose which was which - though non-standard filters did effect the SQ, so if liked there are DACs out there with different reconstruction filters and upsampling choices.
Can I ask you what you did or where you learned to find the right placement of your speakers and what you needed to change to your room?
I have read a bit about placement and such. Like the triangle setup and such. So that the speaker are pointed to the ears with specific measurements and such. I tried that but I found that when I placed my speakers more turned outward from the center they sound better.
Does it come down to personal taste?

SmarterthanU

Your must be an unhappy person too.
No personal comments please. THis is not that kind of forum.

Just in posting this you made a personal comment toward me as if I made a personal.comment without provocation. You must be an unhappy person too. Have fun being unhappy with your you unhappy pretend scientists.

Top Bottom