• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why are there no female Audiophiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ask me any question about women. My answer from years on earth; I don't know why they do not do, or do things.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet females go ga ga over $4000 handbags (look at the stitching, feel the quality of the leather, OMG) and other expensive accoutrements... does nothing for me... so each to their own.
Yeah but our stuff is really cool... and theirs... theirs is for girls. :rolleyes:

Sokel

Master Contributor
I know a couple but judging by my wife when she sees me typing on ASR or measuring stuff:

200w.gif

:(

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So its all nondescript, black, laboratory grade folded steel boxes for you?

Peter
I'm fine with that. Everything tucks in the 19" rack. I mean, it's just electronics. No need to look all Flash Gordon.

fatoldgit

Ask me any question about women. My answer from years on earth; I don't know why they do not do, or do things.
So we have a large expanse of outdoor decking which I keep immaculate. Yet her in doors cant understand why I spend vast amounts of time and energy keeping them pristine.

To her, a deck is just for walking on.

One of many examples of the great divide between the male and female species.

Peter

fatoldgit

I know a couple but judging by my wife when she sees me typing on ASR or measuring stuff:

View attachment 309640

:(

I always love doing frequency sweeps in my room, even if I dont need to.....just to get that WTF look from her and reinforce, in her mind, that I should be committed to a padded cell somewhere, given drugs and physiological counselling to help me over come my obvious deep seated issues.

Peter

droid2000

I always love doing frequency sweeps in my room, even if I dont need to.....just to get that WTF look from her and reinforce, in her mind, that I should be committed to a padded cell somewhere, given drugs and physiological counselling to help me over come my obvious deep seated issues.

Peter

My wife loves the little chirp REW makes for timing reference. She starts imitating it and screws up my measurements.

Shiva

Well, I know one. I refer to her as the Martha Stewart of audio. Her name is Terry, of AVShowrooms.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also looks almost exclusively white, too.

A hypothesis that I pulled out of thin air: Maybe a major factor of whether you will be a hifi fan or not, depends on whether you had positive exposure to hifi in your formative years. And I'd guess that most higher-end shops have tended to be concentrated in predominately white areas. As for the gender divide, at least in the 1970s, whew, sexism in the way stuff was promoted could be pretty blatant, it got toned down a lot in the 1980s, but in the hifi world, there's still a tendency for females to be treated as decorative objects.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't say there are none, just very few....but have run into a few here and there in groups and fora. Definitely mostly a sausage fest, tho.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My wife helped me choose the speakers in my main rig and had strong opinions. We listen together when schedules allow. But never in a million years would she post on a board about audio equipment; she has said to me before: what is the point about talking about listening? Awfully pragmatic comment for her.
My wife went with me to choose all our speakers. She cares about having good sound and we both care about how they look as well. She doesn't care about electronics other than that they work and don't break, just like me. Fiddling with equipment, or even caring about it, it's not a thing for the very vast majority of the populace whatever the gender.

D

Deleted member 21219

You’ll find more women in the IEM market than any of big speaker market multiplied by ten. They prefer discreet and small/cute IEMs

This ^^

If you view the world through stereotypical glasses, all you will see are stereotypical results.

Jim

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I was talking to a friend-woman engineer about speakers, everything was fun until i told the prices

Prices are just stupid xD, the conversation end

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My wife’s very practical. But she wants a Goyard Bag. Weird. Some woven plastic for $2k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom