• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 38 11.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 82.4%

• Total voters

marekm

Ananda Stealth and HD660S2, High Gain On.

Sjofelumsk

Ananda Stealth and HD660S2, High Gain On.
Ok. I'm curious what kind of headphones people got, that have experienced the hd dc abnormal error. When did you get yours? Seems to be little info coming off Topping so there's no real way to tell if it's safe to buy or not

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Sounds like Hifiman in a way. Chifi is Chifi at the end of the day.
Hi shrimp_dude,

I know you don't mean this in a derogatory manner but let's avoid the term Chi-fi as it can have negative connotations for such companies. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. ;)

marekm

I bought mine locally on 25.07.2023.

Always on High Gain, always 3 headphones connected (but never playing together).
None are particularly difficult to drive, some are easy: Grado SR80 X and Meze 109 Pro.
Ananda Stealth and HD660S2 is the "most difficult" pair.
I have now sold the Anandas :(

marekm

I know you don't mean this in a derogatory manner but let's avoid the term Chi-fi as it can have negative connotations for such companies.

I don't understand this approach. "Chi-Fi" is a precise term referring to Chinese-built audio. No negative connotations. Just a statement of fact.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I don't understand this approach. "Chi-Fi" is a precise term referring to Chinese-built audio. No negative connotations. Just a statement of fact.
It’s a House rule. You are a guest in Amir’s house and he doesn’t want the term used here. That is a statement of fact. We did ask nicely the first time. :(

marekm

Sounds like Mao legacy :cool:

marcom22

Sounds like Mao legacy :cool:
It seems likely that Italian Spaghetti or something else... we're in a scientific audio review forum so technical terms are appreciated. It may be that chi-fi exists outside of this forum but it is a derogatory term that has neither scientific nor audio value. Why you dont call Hifi equipment made in Britain or in Germany or in France with this title?

marekm

No comment, other than that I have just updated the "Ignore list".

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It seems likely that niggers or Italian Spaghetti or something else... we're in a scientific audio review forum so technical terms are appreciated. It may be that chi-fi exists outside of this forum but it is a derogatory term that has neither scientific nor audio value. Why you dont call Hifi equipment made in Britain or in Germany or in France with this title?
Right, and to refine this: there is no such thing as brit-fi, ger-fi, fra-fi, us-fi and so on.
There are lots of products and producers all over the world, no matter what continent or country, and some do very good, some as good as they can, and some poor.
Independent of location.

ASR stands for distinguishing the good from the not so ones, no matter what origin, so is my individual perception, and I really appreciate this approach (though from overseas ;) ).

AdamG

Forum Donor
No comment, other than that I have just updated the "Ignore list".
Sometimes you do get exactly what you ask for. Chow…

Human Bass

And the sad thing about JohnYang being radio silent is that we would actually show support if he said he was looking into the problem. The A70 Pro is a flagship, top of the line product.

If Topping needs to charge an extra 50usd for better components and quality control, then do it. People will happily pay instead of having such a frustating experience.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And the sad thing about JohnYang being radio silent is that we would actually show support if he said he was looking into the problem. The A70 Pro is a flagship, top of the line product.

If Topping needs to charge an extra 50usd for better components and quality control, then do it. People will happily pay instead of having such a frustating experience.
John is not a fascinating public experience. He's a human being and a engineer too. sigh*

Human Bass

John is not a fascinating public experience. He's a human being and a engineer too. sigh*
And all Im asking for him to be a decent human being, to show empathy and support for those whose Topping products have failed. We celebrate him when Topping products achieves incredible results, it is only fair he is present for some accountability.

If there is a fix, then announce it. If there isnt a fix, stop the sales of the product immediatily. Selling a product with well known high failure rate is some very unethical thin ice.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And all Im asking for him to be a decent human being, to show empathy and support for those whose Topping products have failed. We celebrate him when Topping products achieves incredible results, it is only fair he is present him for some accountability.

If there is a fix, then announce it. If there isnt a fix, stop the sales of the product immediatily. Selling a product with well known high failure rate is some very unethical thin ice.
If me and I where John then I would step away from all this. Too much personal stuff going on here. Ima sure he understands how I feel and think. He's taken on the gross entirety of Topping and that is too much for engineer never mind a mere mortal to take on.

Human Bass

If me and I where John then I would step away from all this. Too much personal stuff going on here. Ima sure he understands how I feel and think. He's taken on the gross entirety of Topping and that is too much for engineer never mind a mere mortal to take on.
Oh, I agree Topping should have more than one representative. But no matter how stressful it is for Topping, it is even worse for the customers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I agree Topping should have more than one representative. But no matter how stressful it is for Topping, it is even worse for the customers.
It's never too much for a company versus the engineer. sigH*

jmillar

I think you do not get my point, Bluetooth is not what it was about. I never said they would be using Bluetooth with these device.
-Bluetooth is a side track. What I was saying is that INSTEAD of connecting a long cable that go from your Equipment Rack to your couch in typical living room setup with speakers, They would likely use Bluetooth headphones or they would use sensitive earphones connected to a light weight portable device.
Practically all HIFI HP are wired. The few that aren't are strangled by the 909/990 kbps LDAC limitation. CD Red Book is 1410 kbps. My headphone amp sits next to the couch and another one is on my bedstead.
True wireless hi fi lies sometime in the undefined future.

Last edited:

Human Bass

Practically all HIFI HP are wired. The few that aren't are strangled by the 909/990 kbps LDAC protocol limitation (in the best of cases!). CD Red Book is 1410 kbps. My headphone amp sits next to the couch and another one is on my bedstead.
True wireless hi fi lies sometime in the undefined future.
990kbps is barely a hug, Flac compresses more than that and it is lossless. Yes, Ldac isnt lossless but it is pretty damn good.

I was shocked to find out that Aptx Adaptative (their most recent codec) doesnt go beyond 420kbps. It is a really efficient codec, way better than sbc and AAC, it could have been amazing around 768kbps.

For now Sony Ldac is king. But yeah, audio over wifi should be a thing already in high end dacs.

Top Bottom