• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where do I alter volume, and what do I leave alone?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Okay, I’d love a specific answer to this, but I’m guessing general guidance would be useful to others, too.

Potential set up:

- PC (or possibly WiiM streamer), into:
- Topping EX5 DAC/HP Amp/ Pre-amp, XLR balanced outs into:
- JBL 310S Subwoofer, crossover set to keep LF in the sub and send the rest over XLR balanced from the sub to:
- JBL 308P powered monitor speakers.

I presume I should just use the Topping to control volume, would I have the right?

If so, what should I set the volume on all the other components at (PC/streamer, sub, monitors)?

Full whack? 50%? Is there a general rule of thumb?

Cheers.

Cool Runnings

For me, full whack on DAC/Preamp if Power Amp has volume control. Power amp at max listening volume. Volume adjustment whilst listening via streamer/mobile device. Subwoofer volume adjustment varies a lot for me depending on subwoofer brand/make and how I connect it to Preamp/AMP. Also depending on personal taste for bass. I prefer it neutral to ever so slightly bass forward.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Have the PC set to full volume and the subwoofer volume set, on the subwodofer, to be at the correct level relative to the monitors.

You may find that in some modes, and in some software, that the PC/software volume control has no effect. For example using JRiver with ASIO neither the JRiver or the Windows system volume control have any effect:

1689076405155.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
You will need measurements to integrate the sub with the satellites and you must high-pass the satellites too.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
You will need measurements to integrate the sub with the satellites and you must high-pass the satellites too.

My understanding is to SPL pink noise on the sub/monitors, switching the sub off first to get a reading, then sub on/monitors off, and set the sub to get the same level as the monitors.

In this set up JBL advise setting crossover on the sub to 80hz; the sub handles below that, and sends everything higher to the monitors.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
For me, full whack on DAC/Preamp if Power Amp has volume control. Power amp at max listening volume. Volume adjustment whilst listening via streamer/mobile device. Subwoofer volume adjustment varies a lot for me depending on subwoofer brand/make and how I connect it to Preamp/AMP. Also depending on personal taste for bass. I prefer it neutral to ever so slightly bass forward.

In (non-Shakespearean) English... ;)

Which do I set and leave, and which do I use to control the volume day-to-day?

And the ones I leave alone, what volume do I set and leave them at? 100%? 50%?

Cheers.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I do a white noise - 20 dB signal calibration first mono to 83 dB then stereo 86 dB (or a little more 87~88 dB) with JRiver (you or anyone else can use simply already generated signal audio file from net or elsewhere or generate one yourself), and add in the sub matching the volume (with same signal of course). I do this on speakers (in case of active speakers) or amplifier and sub volume controls with DAC - preamp set to maximum (or maximum allowed input in case of preamp which can give more voltage then standard or support input is). I do REW measurement of each chenel and correct them (PEQ on the chenel which need correction up to 100~200 Hz, no boost just wide peaks) so that they come close to each other if need be. Then I add sub and PEQ it all together. Then again goes the calibration to 86 dB stereo and it's done. From there I enable loudness in JRiver and go to the it's internal volume controls % - dB and you can do the same with variable line out DAC or preamp or OS volume controls (and using loudness if DAC or whatever support it if you want to use it). That way you won't demage the gear even if DAC skimps the level.

Sokel

Master Contributor
My understanding is to SPL pink noise on the sub/monitors, switching the sub off first to get a reading, then sub on/monitors off, and set the sub to get the same level as the monitors.

In this set up JBL advise setting crossover on the sub to 80hz; the sub handles below that, and sends everything higher to the monitors.
The real benefit of using a sub is not the sub itself,is the fact that it reliefs the satellites from the enormous task of playing lows.
Furthermore,this way (by high passing the satellites) you won't have two sources playing the same thing from two different locations.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Right, my thinking was:

Is using PC:

- PC 100%
- DAC/Pre-amp to control everyday volume
- Sub & monitors to 100% initially, tweak to control balance between them

If using a streamer, same as above, but use streamer to control volume, DAC/pre-amp to 100%.

Comments?

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
The real benefit of using a sub is not the sub itself,is the fact that it reliefs the satellites from ther enormous task of playing lows. Furthermore,this way (by high passing the satellites) you won't have two sources playing the same thing from two different locations.

Yes, that’s my understanding and my intent.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My take is You're asking where to control volume not how to integrate subwoofers. I set everything to 100% except for the device I use to control the volume.

Trell

Major Contributor
Okay, I’d love a specific answer to this, but I’m guessing general guidance would be useful to others, too.

Potential set up:

- PC (or possibly WiiM streamer), into:
- Topping EX5 DAC/HP Amp/ Pre-amp, XLR balanced outs into:
- JBL 310S Subwoofer, crossover set to keep LF in the sub and send the rest over XLR balanced from the sub to:
- JBL 308P powered monitor speakers.

I presume I should just use the Topping to control volume, would I have the right?

If so, what should I set the volume on all the other components at (PC/streamer, sub, monitors)?

Full whack? 50%? Is there a general rule of thumb?

Cheers.

Set the volume level on the subwoofer and the powered monitors so that a full scale signal will be very loud but not blow your head off or damage your subwoofer/monitor. This is what I do with my Genelec 2.1 setups using analog input, and protects against accidents in case a full scale signal is sent.

Volume is set to 100% in the PC but volume control is by my RME ADI-2 DAC FS on one setup and a MOTU M2 in the other.

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
My take is You're asking where to control volume not how to integrate subwoofers. I set everything to 100% except for the device I use to control the volume.

Thank you, that’s it exactly. I’m across how to balance the sub.

And which device would you use to do that? PC/streamer or DAC/Pre amp?

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Set the volume level on the subwoofer and the powered monitors so that a full scale signal will be very loud but not blow your head off or damage your subwoofer/monitor. This is what I do with my Genelec 2.1 setups using analog input, and protects against accidents in case a full scale signal is sent.

Volume is set to 100% in the PC but volume control is by my RME ADI-2 DAC FS on one setup and a MOTU M2 in the other.

This is great. Please define ‘full scale signal’.

Many thanks.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest a slight mod to "full volume on speakers"

With the DAC on full, set the speaker volume so it is the loudest you will ever likely listen. (This may be some way below full volume)

Then use the DAC volume control to reduce from there.

This way you minimise the amplification of noise on the input to the speakers, and maximise the SNR from the DAC.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Right, my thinking was:

Is using PC:

- PC 100%
- DAC/Pre-amp to control everyday volume
- Sub & monitors to 100% initially, tweak to control balance between them

If using a streamer, same as above, but use streamer to control volume, DAC/pre-amp to 100%.

Comments?
Never put volume controls on; power amplifier, active speakers or sub to maximum especially not sub's which are usually designed to achieve maximum amplifier output with 100~200 mV input (unbalanced and to the stands line out of 2 V for DAC which is 10x more).
So sub & monitors to 20~30% and adjust from there with calibration signal and SPL meter.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume you mean "where to control master volume in PC-DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier audio system", right?

Just for your possible reference and interests,,,

In my case, I usually use JRiver MC's inner volume as "master volume" even though I also can use DSP software EKIO's L&R input gains and/or multichannel DAC OKTO DAC8PRO's gain controller as "master volume".

I believe one picture/diagram would worth 1,000 or more words;
WS00005686.JPG

You can find the latest system setup of my audio project here and here.

If you would be interested in "safe and flexible on-the-fly relative gain (tone) control", please refer here and here.

Top Bottom