• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How long does it take to boil a kettle in USA?

jbattman1016

Using a microwave is fine to heat water, just watch out for super heating.

There are plenty of NON-TEA uses for hot water (French press/ pour over). Most people I know in America use electric kettles and it takes under 8 minutes to boil water.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Goes faster if you don't stand and watch it. For coffee just wait for the first small puff of steam, one does not want to boil the water.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I didn’t conduct an entirely scientific test, but I just did a test with my $20 Costco-special Hamilton Beach kettle. I eyeballed and filled to the 1L mark on the side with ~60F water, the kettle hit a full boil and turned off at 5:39.

Still science!

MCH

Major Contributor
It depends on your altitude above sea level
People say it takes longer to cook a paella in Madrid than in Valencia, maybe the water boils faster but the tea takes longer, and result is the same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheap counter top electric kettles use immersion heating elements and are very fast.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheap counter top electric kettles use immersion heating elements and are very fast.
That can’t be good. Tea water needs burn-in, like cables. It needs a slow boil, and you’ll need at least 200 hours on your kettle before the tea start to taste anywhere near good.. but then: veils lifted for sure!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No good for big, Cheshire sized mugs of tea then.
Yebbut when I'm using a USAnian kettle there are also no Cheshire sized mugs to be had in the area. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I don't need to bring water to a boil particularly, but use an induction plate with a standard non-electric kettle on it for my coffee (to 185F), don't drink tea. Maybe 5 minutes til it's ready, as long as I don't watch it, that takes longer.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If you want it fast, I would try to get a vintage Porsche Design Kettle. Unfortunately they don't make them new anymore. I had mine for about 10 years.

s-l1600.jpg

Urvile

About a minute -- I've got a induction stove with boost power option

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
About a minute -- I've got a induction stove with boost power option
You’ll need about 5.5kW to boil 1L of water in a single minute with perfect efficiency. That’s a lot even for an induction boost stove.

Maybe you can do half a lite in a minute…

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn’t conduct an entirely scientific test, but I just did a test with my $20 Costco-special Hamilton Beach kettle. I eyeballed and filled to the 1L mark on the side with ~60F water, the kettle hit a full boil and turned off at 5:39.
AM or PM?

oceansize

Forum Donor
I use an electric kettle because it's way faster than the gas stove and I like to drink tea and make french press coffee.

We English like to use water that is actually hot for tea; most tea you order here in the USA is served lukewarm (and just of the tea here requires you to use two teabags to make something drinkable, but this is another discussion altogether).
A subject well covered by Ginger Baker when he was a member of Masters Of Reality...

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use an electric kettle because it's way faster than the gas stove and I like to drink tea and make french press coffee.

We English like to use water that is actually hot for tea; most tea you order here in the USA is served lukewarm (and just of the tea here requires you to use two teabags to make something drinkable, but this is another discussion altogether).
Instant tea is an abomination and should be banned.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That can’t be good. Tea water needs burn-in, like cables. It needs a slow boil, and you’ll need at least 200 hours on your kettle before the tea start to taste anywhere near good.. but then: veils lifted for sure!

:eek: Surely the water needs to be cryogenically treated first?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
BonziBuddy2023 says:

To raise a liter of water from 30C to boiling takes 293.6kjoules, or 81.56 watt hours, and a 1200W heater will do it in 4.08 minutes, ignoring all the problematics.

Sounds about right.

Top Bottom