• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Curvature

Major Contributor
I saw and heard Endow Audio T35 point-array speakers at the Florida Audio Expo several years ago. They did not sound bad but they were an odd duck.
View attachment 290460

Their current lineup is even stranger.
gallery-bravura-12-slight-left.png.webp
gallery-bravura-12-side.png.webp

Martin
Smaller Bravura 7 was measured by Erin: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/endow_bravura_7/

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Here I show a picture of a loudspeaker that the engineer Leppert from Karlsruhe Germany has developed. Leppert is an audio freak in a positive sense. I know him since the sixties had barrel-shaped speakers (omnidirectional) from him and he also very early imported the Connoiseur turntables from England. I bought one from him at that time.

The speaker may look whimsical, but it can rock incredibly. Very powerful and deep bass. Leppert was also with me to listen to my speakers. I got a positive comment from him.

1686047360060.jpeg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It's a plywood tube. I was very much impressed how good there was organ music reproduced with this speakers. The drivers are made by a small manufacturer in Germany - no mass production. This speaker is especially appreciated by musicians. Leppert builds such for them.

Curvature

Major Contributor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Well, I don't know what to make of it. I had already built a loudspeaker according to the plans of Nelson Pass. The J-Low. https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_jlow.pdf
It was a flop. A stupid mistake. Since then I doubt the abilities of Nelson Pass in the loudspeaker field - sorry!

The Leppert loudspeaker is not comparable, it sounds excellent and is the result of serious work.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Well, I don't know what to make of it. I had already built a loudspeaker according to the plans of Nelson Pass. The J-Low. https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_jlow.pdf
It was a flop. A stupid mistake. Since then I doubt the abilities of Nelson Pass in the loudspeaker field - sorry!

The Leppert loudspeaker is not comparable, it sounds excellent and is the result of serious work.
I don't think of Pass as a serious designer.

Would love to see the Leppert speakers measured.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I don't think of Pass as a serious designer.

Would love to see the Leppert speakers measured.
Unfortunately, this will not be possible. Leppert is a master of the old school. And these speakers were only built to order, as said famous musicians were among his customers. I do not know if he is still alive. I have not lived in Karlsruhe for a long time and have lost contact.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Sort of in his defense, I think he just likes playing with full range drivers, without taking them too seriously.
That's a reasonable point of view, imo.

Even if I don't like all his work, I wouldn't want to deny him creative developer status or even guru status. He has my full respect in that regard.

I was once at a phono preamp shootout that was held in a studio of the Süddeutscher Rundfunk in Stuttgart with several high quality preamps. At that time I found e.g. the tube preamp from Vacuumstate Electronics much better than the X-Ono soundwise. If I remember correctly, Alan Wright (R.I.P.) himself was also present there.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
RR069238.jpg

Meikyoku Kissa, Tokyo
The old magic audio world gave me a lot. Now their spirit is dying. As the owner - the lady is over 90 I think - of the oldest audio café in Tokyo told, the speaker system in the picture was built by an engineer from Pioneer.

Another story comes to mind. Years ago, I was once in an audio bar in Okayama. My visit was announced and so it happened that the owner had printed out some pages of my German audio site in color and proudly showed them to me.

tokyo-tea-room2-400.jpg

Unfortunately, I only found a small photo of the place in my own archive. The really huge speakers with 2 x 15" bass and the amplifiers were made by Yamaha. In the basement was a large collection of vintage Japanese speakers. Among them many models that I did not know.

As I checked today, the building is still standing, but the store is closed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom