• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Urubamba

Why not take the best of both worlds?
I went back to using tubes (the amp is robust, yes, but not very powerful, 38 Watts/channel in PP UL pentode, 32 Watts in triode mode) after a long pilgrimage. Coupled with high-efficiency speakers, I have the sound I was looking for, mainly in the mid/high zone. And the very low zone (sub), where a lot of power is needed, is fed with an SS with DSP. Of all the functions, I only use the crossover function, finally I settled on Buthewort 18/Db/Oct and boost or attenuate the gain according to the needs of the source to be played.
Not "it's all part of the same thing", surely from the sound, but not from the analysis of it, which is made up of many variables, the ones you yourself have named.
Long story, but the resolution is not that difficult. To each his own, if it makes him happy.

Last edited:

as-audio

Gents,
first post here, please excuse me. I refer to no. 448 in this thread (page 23, direct link does not work).
Re Eckmiller speaker : "This driver was intended to be driven with current source amplifiers, not your usual voltage source" -
where did master Magnum Innominandum learn this and how can it be confirmed ? It seems I can not send him a message.
Thank you.

notsodeadlizard

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gents,
first post here, please excuse me. I refer to no. 448 in this thread (page 23, direct link does not work).
Re Eckmiller speaker : "This driver was intended to be driven with current source amplifiers, not your usual voltage source" -
where did master Magnum Innominandum learn this and how can it be confirmed ? It seems I can not send him a message.
Thank you.
Out of curiosity...do you plan to drive them from a pentode amp, like he mentioned?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
@as-audio Pro tip: If you mark a piece of text in a post, you get a little pop-up that says 'reply'. Click it, and it makes a quote for you.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Cornu Compact Spiral Horn
The original German manufacturer is lost somewhere :(

4 horns in a slim enclosure:

1685983774650.jpeg

1685984278545.jpeg

I had such. They made a fat bass. I knew the developer Daniel Ciesinger well and worked with him a little. He stopped production because at that time the European laws changed very unfavorably for small manufactures. (WEEE, ROHS, ...)

I generally don't like backloaded horns. These are an exception.

Last edited:

notsodeadlizard

View attachment 290436

View attachment 290437

I had such. They made a fat bass. I knew the developer Daniel Ciesinger well, worked with him a little. He stopped production because at that time the European laws changed very unfavorably for small manufactures. (WEEE, ROHS, ...)
I kinda envy you.
This is a striking construction based on a bright idea.
It rarely happens that such ideas are brought to commercialization, sorry.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you will not find spks like these anywhere, but the technology is interesting.
Yes, although high output impedance amps these days are rare.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Having experienced the Eckmillers at the RFZ in Berlin, together with the O18 there and in many studio's in east germany, and having owned the Isophon Orchester 2000 later after the fall of the wall and also experienced and owned...
Just stumbled across this. A DIY-colleague once had working Eckmiller speakers brougt to the European Triode Festival. I was able to listen to them and also try my own EL8 SE pentode amp prototype with them. That was a sensation in that these speakers are really rare collector's items today. The construction with the different damping materials is so complicated in the fine tuning that I have my doubts that you can still hear them today in the original quality.

BTW: Isophon Orchester Speakers I also had once, but the old ones with a simple cone tweeter. Sonically not a revelation.

Own photo for illustration:

eckmiller.jpg

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
The web is bereft of photos of the Precedent MZ Mod 3. A pity- not only was it unusual looking in the extreme, it also anticipated a bunch of trends in speaker design. Separate modules for woofer, midrange, and tweeter, all alignable in space, transmission line midrange, anti-diffraction treatments- all in the mid 1970s.
No luck on photos of these?

Curvature

Major Contributor
The web is bereft of photos of the Precedent MZ Mod 3. A pity- not only was it unusual looking in the extreme, it also anticipated a bunch of trends in speaker design. Separate modules for woofer, midrange, and tweeter, all alignable in space, transmission line midrange, anti-diffraction treatments- all in the mid 1970s.
Just found them. Wow. https://softwaredotfree.altervista....ing_wp_cron=1685993583.7750699520111083984375

M-Z-Mod-3.png

Stereophile Vol. 4, No. 2

1685993678285.png

Funny thing is that I searched 6 months ago and found no results.

Edit: Added a link and some details.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw and heard Endow Audio T35 point-array speakers at the Florida Audio Expo several years ago. They did not sound bad but they were an odd duck.
IMG_3161.png

Their current lineup is even stranger.
gallery-bravura-12-slight-left.png.webp
gallery-bravura-12-side.png.webp

Martin

Top Bottom