• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power cable tech talk and a little help for Amir at Audio Science Review

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
How much YouTube money has this video earned Danny at this point? I am curious, if anyone knows the YouTube pay structure.

lol, he's probably made a tenner off views from this thread. Youtube doesn't pay that much for views. If this thread causes a few people to choose against buying something from him he's well into the negatives! :D

(Actually, he's probably barely made a tenner from the total views of the vid.)

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One of Danny's comments in the comments section of his video was,
"Amir took measurements on my cables and claimed a 20dB drop in noise compared to his other cable, and that was using them as an interconnect."

What is he referring to?
I connected the power cables -- with suitable termination -- across the input and output of my Audio Precision analyzer. I did that with his cable and a generic one. I think took an AC transformer and used it to inject noise into the signal path. Using this scheme, Danny's cable was more resistant to noise injection:

index.php

What he didn't talk about was the fact that I showed threshold of hearing that says both cables would be silent to our ears (green line). Furthermore, this level of noise injection simply doesn't happen in real life as you are not going to use the AC cable as interconnect. If it happened to an AC cable, then it would be adding a bit of power to it so it would be a good thing! :)

Here, I was just trying to be fair to him that there is some signal interference advantage to the configuration of wires he is using. If he was smart, he would create tests like this to promote his product instead of constantly saying we can't measure what cables do!

ErVikingo

What he didn't talk about was the fact that I showed threshold of hearing that says both cables would be silent to our ears (green line).
Trying to better understand, could a noise that is below human hearing not create noise thus driver movement therefore affect the movement of the driver (affecting response or adding artifacts)?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Trying to better understand, could a noise that is below human hearing not create noise thus driver movement therefore affect the movement of the driver?
It’s a power cable… the way it was tested was more like an interconnect. All of the injected noise would be filtered out by the device because it should have additional filtering on top of a high PSRR.

ErVikingo

It’s a power cable… the way it was tested was more like an interconnect. All of the injected noise would be filtered out by the device because it should have additional filtering on top of a high PSRR.
I hear you (pun intended !) if the device is well designed and implemented variations on power supply should be suppressed.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you (pun intended !) if the device is well designed and implemented variations on power supply should be suppressed.
If it’s not well designed, no fancy power cable will save it. Good design is a general prerequisite, not a nice-to-have.

ErVikingo

If it’s not well designed, no fancy power cable will save it. Good design is a general prerequisite, not a nice-to-have.
Lipstick on a pig ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Trying to better understand, could a noise that is below human hearing not create noise thus driver movement therefore affect the movement of the driver (affecting response or adding artifacts)?

Don't forget that while in use, all the power cables have (in the US) at least 170 volts peak AC, along with harmonic frequencies, due to the imperfection of the sine from peak loading or other factors..

And, unless you have a nasty hum/buzz coming at you all the time, it's not moving the drivers.

And if that doesn't get through, what would?

---

Touching the tip of a guitar cable plugged into an ADC, with the input volume all the way down.

I'm an antenna for the power line (and other) hash that's in the air in my room.

1685491368877.png

Hmmm.

Dominated by odd harmonics.

Must be due to the flattened peaks.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Arrogance like this is one of the main reasons why you guys are still messing around in the cable jungle
I ain't messing around in the cable jungle at all - I got out of that nonsense many years ago and just use well specified cables that don't cost the earth (neither do the innards of many expensive cables, mains or signal, but the profits available to successful vendors who market their wares (and wires :D) well can be very nice indeed - I speak from experience here!)

vco1

So this "hi-end" power cable is basically a thick cotton rope with some thin wires around it!?

Sounds like a scam to me.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Especially considering the price tags we normally see.

I simply can't understand why people gladly accept the idea of multi kilobuck gear needing "band-aids" to function properly.
They are gullible people. I'm sorry, I know that is harsh, but seriously, falling for such things can only be explained by gullibility.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are gullible people. I'm sorry, I know that is harsh, but seriously, falling for such things can only be explained by gullibility.
My guess is they are also looking for a sense of accomplishment, that they can improve the gear themselves.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
My guess is they are also looking for a sense of accomplishment, that they can improve the gear themselves.

Us human beenz love those little dopamine rushes! We seek out means by which we can achieve them pretty much all day long everyday. Our brains don't care about scientific verification most of the time unless we force the issue. lol...

Top Bottom